“Excellent food good ambience at a price” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Tides
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Holetown
Price range: US$1 - US$100
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, View, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food good ambience at a price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had dinner here on a Sunday night. We started each with a cocktail - non alcoholic for the kids and myself, and a fabulous Mojito for my wife.

The menu is reasonably adventurous, and whilst it tips its cap to Bajan cuisine, it is really more European. All the dishes were slightly different to what we expected, in all cases cleverer and more subtle dishes. To start I had a lobster and mushroom risotto, which came with a lobster bisque sauce. It was delicious. My daughter had what amounted to a tuna carpaccio, and my wife a special with thin strips of salmon carpaccio threaded amid a tasty salad. For main courses, the fish dishes were excellent, and perfectly cooked each. Even my elder daughter who at 12 "doesn't like fish" enjoyed her tuna steak, and a pan fried snapper, scallops and sea bass, and monkfish all went the same happy way. The plantain and avocado that accompanied the tuna were agreed to be a miss, but otherwise all the accompaniments were happily consumed. Again the dishes were beautifully presented and clever dishes.

Portion size is not enormous, but that was welcome given the extreme propensity for holiday weight gain - anyway nobody left still hungry and we have some robust appetites. For pudding my daughter enjoyed some excellent sorbets, whilst my wife got stuck into a peanut butter mousse, with brittle, peanut caramel nest and a raspberry sauce - wonderful and light this was a perfect pudding. She required some help with this!

The ambience is lovely. As with many places in Barbados you sit under a permanent roof, but essentially in the open air, in this case the edge of the restaurant is about 2m from the sea itself. The restaurant is nicely lit and the waiting staff attentive without being overbearing. They seem to be good at birthdays - two when we were there and the staff gathered round to sing a calypso "Happy birthday". Good fun...

So where is the rub? It is expensive. We paid Barbados $1000 (about US$500) for 4 people, with one cocktail and a half bottle of mid range champagne. By any standards that is steep. It was compounded by the fact the bill was wrong - the special was charged at $35 over what was stated in the menu. This was quickly dealt with and deducted without any argument. What makes bills harder to interpret (not just here) is that tax seems to be quoted on the menu then deducted on the bill and added in again (I think) - confusing. The other rub was that having stung me for a 10% service charge, there was then a space for a "tip" - I hate this practice. Where I come a service charge is a tip, and if you include it in the bill, don't ask for a second one!

Would I go again? Yes - it was lovely.

Hampton Hill, United Kingdom
“Consistently Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Back to The Tides after a year, this time with our children. Service here is outstanding, ostensibly quite formal but friendly and attentive as well. I had forgotten how rich the dishes can be and what large portions so next time we'll go for either two starters or just take a main course. We enjoyed lobster risotto, sweetcorn and crab soup with mains of duck, red snapper and sea bass with scallops. The menu doesn't appear to have changed in the past year but offers a varied selection of dishes and there are daily specials. The wine list is excellent and very fairly priced; we enjoyed a Hamilton Russell Chardonnay at around £40 which would have been cheap for London.

Windsor, United Kingdom
“Brilliant restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

A must to visit on your trip to Barbados, great food, served with style, ambiance great, good value, deserts to die for lovely evening

Visited July 2014
Newburgh, New York
“Excellent Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I went to The Tides on 29 July 2014 for our 20th Anniversary, We were treated like royalty. The staff was excellent, ambiance was great, my wife loved her food, Personally mine was good, not great. The prices were a little steep, but the staff made made up with their attentiveness. I had the bread pudding with caramelized bananas for desert, Excellent. They even took pictures of the occasion, and emailed them to my wife. She was extremely delighted.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
“Delicious and amazing views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Beautiful setting, loved the salad with goat cheese and the scallops. Gourmet! WONDERFUL restaurant.

Visited July 2014