“en couple”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Moulay Idriss
Brighton, United Kingdom
“en couple”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

a beautiful hotel, in a great central positon. a clean and comfortable room, all mod-cons!!! hot showers, excellent panoramic restaurant....and the friendliest welcome!!! a real pleasure to stay here...it is my second time as a guest and will definitely be back in the future!!!
maximum points all round for the hotel; the staff, the room...and moulay idriss in general!!!
shukhran bezzef pour la mahaba!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Rijeka, Croatia
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I arrived in this hotel on December 31, not wishing to rush from Meknes to Volubilis and back in a half-day excursion. Instead, I chose to take it easier and braced for whatever was expecting me in Moulay Idriss. Among all the accommodation options in town I'd heard about, none was promising to knock you out of your shoes, so I thought that with "Diyar Timnar" I was opting for one of comparably more passable ones. It turned out, it was nearly a jackpot. Talking about the budget bracket, of course. In often bitterly cold Moroccan nights the importance of having an air-conditioner in working order to make your room warm can't be possibly overstated. Hot water in infinite quantities round the clock - another thing that some even much, much more expensive don't provide - is another trump card. And big rooms, satellite TV, pleasant (if somewhat overpriced) restaurant on top of the building are all the things that make the price of 160 dirhams a night laughable. Hopefully, the management won't learn English any time soon, so the price will stay as it is.
And last but not least - Mr Mustafa. I dare you to find a more friendly and helpful hotel staff in this country full of friendly people.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank TheWayfarer1009
Casablanca, Morocco
Reviewed 29 June 2011

It allowed us to stay away from the commotion and noise.
the management was friendly and acomodating.
the rooms are clean and spacious.
Would stay here again

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Moulay Idriss, Morocco
Reviewed 5 December 2010

My husband and I stayed in Diyar Timnay almost a year ago now, yet my fond memories are so poignant that they prompted me to write this review. Diyar Timnay was my favorite stay during my husband's and my 2 1/2-week vacation that included parts of Morocco and Spain. The place was very clean, accomodating, affordable, and convenient. I was able to fully relax. The staff offered a complimentary breakfast in a beautifully decorated room with an outstanding view of the white-washed village and the Roman ruins in the distance. But what stood out the most was the family atmosphere, the genuinely inviting character of the owner and staff. They waited on us closely, allowed me to use their private internet, washed and hung our clothes, gave us loads of travel advice, ... I would return to Morroco just to relive the memories of my stay.

Oh, and by the way, if you plan on visiting the Roman ruins of Volubilis, we strongly recommend staying in Moulay Idriss rather than Meknes. It's much quiter, very authentic (only recently opened to foreigners), and within walking distance (along olive groves).

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KristenAndAvery
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 18 October 2010

By chance when we were planning to visit Volbilis,we needed a clean place to have breakfast. A man guided us to this splendid hotl called "Diyar timnay'We got all with smile.Then, I returned to my wife, and decided to book in this hotel for our stay.

Really worth visiting and we let decide by yourselves.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We arrived by car to Moulay Idriss - we needed a place to put the car, a guy approached us and asked if we needed accomodation. He showed us to Diyar Timnay. We met the owner a very friendly individual. We haggled for the price and got a room with 3 beds for the 3 of us - cost us about €30 for the night. We had our own bathroom outside the room. It was such a relief to have clean towels, bed sheets, a very clean shower and toilet WITH toilet paper and a TV. This compared to so many grotty, dirty places we visited around Morocco where you can usually end up if you are travelling on a budget. The owner was very generous and even gave us breakfast for free. The location was perfect - just at the start of the town, right beside the markets and a stones throw to the main square where most of the local (men) gather at night and children play some very skilled football in bare feet. We would recommend this hotel even if you aren't on a budget. It's clean, friendly and well located. The views from the Restaurant are spectacular as the sun sets.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Faro, Portugal
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Me and my partner loved to spend a night at Diyar Timnay. The contact with the hotel staff started the moment we get out the bus. I had introduced wrong coordinates in my GPS and was about to start walking towards the pointed spot when I was approached by a man who was introducing his accommodation business to arriving tourists. Well, by coincidence he was the owner (?) of Diyar Timnay and in that moment I was saved from walking about 1 km to somewhere just to find there was nothing there and with the difficult task to find by myself where would the hotel be located.

Anyway... about the place... close to perfection. Only tiny minus thing was the space management in the bedroom. It wasn't small, but quite stuffed, including an extra bed. Because of that, there was no space to sit comfortably by the desk.

But as I said, what a minor problem this was! The staff was more than perfect. Whatever we needed, whatever we asked, it was immediately solved and answered. The moment we decided to visit Volubis, there he was, the hotel owner, helping us dealing with the taxi drivers. We were asked at what time we wanted breakfast, we were allowed to stay in the restaurant just using as a lounge, making no expense but enjoying the gorgeous room to write our blogs and read and chat. Later on, much later, we did order something and it was delicious. Never in my life tried an almond smoothie, although I come from an almond land (South of Portugal)... freshly squeezed orange juice for an Euro... couldn't believe the price... a delicious fruit salad only with fresh fruit.

Internet Wi-Fi was solid and worked in a stable way all the time we were there, both in the bedroom and in the restaurant.

Breakfast was quite above expectations: we were served a glass of natural orange juice, a boiled egg, a Morocco style pancake, a basket with two kinds of fresh bread, home made orange jam, butter, cream cheese, mint tea (coffee as an option to this). It was all so good that the breakfast will remain in our memory.

Location of the hotel couldn't be any better. It's in a backstreet from the main square. As a result, it's quite all the time and still it's 2 min walking to the square where all the action happens (market, bus, taxis, etc).

So... to conclude the review: if you are looking for a fancy unpersonalized hotel, forget this one. Diyar Timnay is a place for true travelers looking for genuine hospitality, still with Western standards, all the commodities offered in a simple way and a great quality for the price ratio.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Moulay Idriss
Volubilis Inn
Volubilis Inn
#3 of 3 in Moulay Idriss

Been to Diyar Timnay? Share your experiences!