“Summertime blues” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dar Zerhoune
Caloundra, Australia
“Summertime blues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I'd like to have enjoyed Dar Zerhoune more than I did, as obviously the owner has put a lot of effort into it with good details like plenty of power points, wifi, freshly painted, nice looking furniture, English language books. Bedding was fine. Mattresses and seating were very hard but that is common in Morocco. it is spotless, well located and could be a good option under different circumstances than mine.

It's interesting to read the comments from people staying in winter and the efforts made to warm the place. However, I came in a hot summer and could not stay more than one night. mainly because of the heat. The roof of the central atrium has been glassed in, and if you look at the room pics you'll notice the lack of outside windows or ventilation. One 'dorm' bedroom has a window to the outside, others have doors that open into the central atrium, so no air flow. I had the impression the place had been closed up for a while, as there was also an odd acrid smell throughout. I opened the 2 upstairs doors and windows to the outside world and the odour dissipated a bit, but it was not enough ventilation to combat the intense 'greenhouse' effect of the enclosed central space. The pretty top floor salon, where I'd hoped to write, play guitar etc was too hot to sit in after about 2pm. I moved bedrooms at 1 am to a small one on the lowest floor, which was cool though still stuffy..it's below street level.

The roof terrace was too hot to use in the day. Pleasant at night, though the lights mysteriously went off after about 30 mins and wouldn't switch on again. Overall I just never found a comfortable place to 'be'.

Apart from the air situation, it's worth taking on board comments other people have made about being on their own. The teenage girl who let me in was friendly but didn't really explain anything about the town or the house except the wifi password (we had no common language). Hadjiba came unexpectedly for a few minutes at night, and in the morning to give me a basic breakfast and get paid.

I live alone at home, and there is a note in the room about it being an 'unhosted guest house' but to be honest it's a bit odd to be a guest without a host; alone in a 3 story space in a strange town with unfamiliar noises, doors banging (next door) not knowing if someone was going to suddenly arrive or not, or be there when I got back after a walk. However, if you had friends/partner with you or , or at a different time of year when you;d want to be out a lot in the day, it could be a good option.
It is not a 'cheap' option though.. I paid 400 Dirhams, bed and breakfast, which was more than twice what I ended up paying 'walk in' for a much more comfortable, hospitable and airy space elsewhere in the town. I liked Moulay Idriss and ended up staying 4 nights.

Room Tip: The double bedroom near the computer desk on the second floor is the nicest. it has a window to the...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank newgabe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Dar Zerhoune in mid-May. Moulay Idriss is a quiet non-touristy town. This was our first stop after flying into Casablanca for our vacation. We had planned on two nights but stayed one more night partly because it rained all night and until 2pm the next day so we were behind in what we wanted to see and do. We also just really enjoyed the town. We we not on a set itinerary so if we like a place we stay there longer.

If you want to see what a Moroccan town is like without the tourists, this is it. We walked to Volubilis and to the nearby Roman thermal baths on the edge of town. The town has a really nice fruit/vegetable/meat market since this is an area with a lot of farming. This area is known for its olives and olive oil. They also sell good nougat on the square. On Saturdays there is a bustling market on the main road in town.

Dar Zerhoune is a nice, quiet house deep in the town. The manager, Hajiba, was efficient and informative. She took me to the local hammam and explained what to expect since this was my first hammam experience. I loved it. I would recommend this local hammam for a really good scrubbing! Hajiba leaves in the evening to go home so it is truly like staying in a home. You have the key to get in the house. There is a lounge area upstairs where you can read and chill out, or you can go up to the terrace for a view of the town. You can do laundry if needed.

This town and house are probably a good place to decompress after the hectic crowds in Fes. As it turns out, we hit this place first. While we were there we said this would probably be one of our best Morocco experiences. It turned out to be true.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 37VAF
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Dar Zerhoune was a gem to find, as was Moulay Idris. Spent a couple of nights here & loved it. Really comfy bed, & the electric blanket was an unexpected bonus. Beautiful, & tasteful decor & breathtaking view from the terrace. We were fortunate enough to meet Rose, the owner & her story & attitude were inspirational. I'd definitely stay here again & highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dartmouth, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

We stayed here in April with some chilly overnight temperatures. The electric blankets and space heaters in the room made for a very comfortable sleep. Sunsets and breakfast on the terrace were both excellent. A great place for a short stay to see Volubilis.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ljh104
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

The view from the roof terrace is excellent, especially for sunsets, one of the most spectacular I've seen. Within walking distance of Volubilis, and I would thoroughly reccomend staying a night here as a way to visit the ruins. Good bedding too. Although the place can get a bit chilly at times they have taken good measures such as heaters in the rooms and electric blankets to guard against this. The whole place has a great feel to it and I would definitely reccomend for anyone coming to stay in the area.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank GGTravels2013
Wellington, NZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

We stayed in April 2012 and really enjoyed both the town and this guest house. The breakfast was great, the rooms clean and comfortable and the staff were lovely. We would happily recommend it. They even had a bottle of red for us to enjoy in the cosy lounge space. The down side was that the bathroom for one of the rooms was located upstairs through the kitchen. In spring it was a bit nippy so it may not be the best winter visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

I loved everything start to finish here. The beautiful decor, blending classic Moroccan style with modern simplicity, is superb, and the roof terrace, with stunning views of the town and surrounding hillside is spectacular. My room was large, with the best sheets I have had anywhere in Morocco, and incredibly comfortable. The black soap in the bathroom was a womderful touch. The caretaker here was incredibly sweet, from serving me mint tea and dates as soon as I arrived to handling my laundry, and fulfilling my request for a vegetarian dinner. The food was simple but delicious, and clearly prepared with a lot of love. I've been on th road for two months across Asia and Africa, and this was by far my favorite place I've stayed in this current runs of travels. I'm so excited to know that Rose, the owner, has plans for more inns in northern Morocco, with the next one slated for Fez. Can't wait to come back here!

Room Tip: I loved the room across the courtyard from the computer station.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
#4 of 43 in Meknes
Riad Amazigh Meknes
Riad Amazigh Meknes
#3 of 43 in Meknes

Been to Dar Zerhoune? Share your experiences!