“Very disappointed!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maison D'Hote El Kasaba

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moulay Idriss
Maison D'Hote El Kasaba
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I would advise travellers to be very clear and specific about dates and length of stay!! I had made an initial enquiry by email via their website to say that I would like to stay one or two nights but not sure of dates. A quick response from them told me I would be welcome at any time. I responded that I would get in touch when I was in Morocco and knew my itinerary.

I asked the Receptionist at my hotel to speak with them and explain that I would be arriving in Meknes on the Wednesday and requested someone to pick me up. On my arrival at Meknes, I was met by a very nice young man (Mohamed) who took me to Moulay Idriss in a grand taxi. He explained to me that the parents and two of the children were not at the house and wouldn't be back until Friday or Saturday!! As the main reason for me going to MI was to "live" with a local family and have some cultural exchange, I have to admit to being greatly disappointed.

However, I stayed for two nights. The hotel was clean and tidy, my room was comfortable, the traditional Moroccan breakfasts (included in the price of 200MAD) were very nice and I enjoyed the 2 main courses I asked to be provided (Vegetable Tajine and Vegetable Couscous). Mohamed introduced me to a young man who agreed to take me and show me around Volubilis - a truly spectacular place to visit.

I'm very sorry that I didn't get to do some local shopping and have cookery lessons!!!!

Room Tip: Quiet rooms face the back of the house.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
panama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

stayed here for two nights after moving from another hotel. same price but such anothe rlevel of service. i felt like a guest in their house as opposed to a client, and was told continually that I was part of the family. having no french and zero arabic wasn't a problem, the breakfast is fantastic. If i come back to Moulay Idriss, this is where I'll be coming.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank dairock
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

Because of a good write up in Lonely Planet, we looked forward to our stay. Our room was half below ground with the window at street level where children played ball games. There were no hooks or hanging space so the landlady brought in a broken coat rack to lean against a wall. The bathroom had no loo paper. The washbasin had a glass shelf above it and the end was broken off leaving a jagged edge. The shower did not drain so when we went to bed it had 2 inches of dirty water and in the morning the 2 inches was still there. There were no towels and when we pulled back the dirty blanket we found there were no sheets. Having reserved for 2 nights we told her we would be leaving after one night. She got very upset and insisted on being paid for 2 nights. Then a friend joined her to insist that we pay both nights in advance. I said we would pay but only in the morning. At breakfast there was a bit of processed cheese, bread, jam but because of the cheese, no butter despite asking. Best avoided!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple