“Superb! Mouth watering food and friendly staff!”

Blair Atholl Watermill
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A working watermill has been on the site since 1590s. We mill our own flour and oatmeal which we then use in our bakery attached to the mill. We serve breakfast, light lunches and cakes and our aim is to provide simple wholesome food with our baking and locally sourced food. We bake fresh everyday and have a range of bread, bagels, croissants, cakes and lots more available to enjoy in the tearoom or takeaway.
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Wow! Driving through the beautiful Blair Atholl on a tour of Scotland, we came across The Water Mill. Amazing location, the historic Mill is nestled amongst a stunning backdrop - I actually felt healthier by inhaling the fresh air!!

The Mill is rustic and unspoilt - the restaurant is welcoming and comfortable with home cooked, delicious, healthy fare. We ordered soup (Minestrone - great flavours), sandwiches (my husband devoured a filled bagel) and coffee. Our children - 9, 7, 5 and 3, all had sandwiches. We were made to feel extremely welcome, which is wonderful, as finding a restaurant to cater for four children (without chips and chicken nuggets) is hard to find!

We left happy and relaxed, laden with oatcakes and chutney. Truly a sparkling gem in a beautiful location. We will return one day!

2  Thank Williamsons100

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Fantastic fresh bread daily and free wifi. 3 minute walk from campsite so ideal for quick wifi use when campsite is £1.50 for 30 minutes, which has to be used all at once. Fresh bagels for breakfast, bought day before as not open until 10 am, and rolls for picnic lunches.

Ignore the negative comment from madcyclist - mistakes happen and apologies made. Prefer the open plan kitchen, tempting homemade breads on display and general ambience, to all the highly packaged, plastic tasting bread and cakes at Health and Safety conscious motorway outlets, supermarkets and the like. Whatever suits - but give me the Watermill any day.

A brilliant place to visit and a fascinating look at the working mill included.

1  Thank Southlakes
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I've traveling around the world for years looking for culinary hot spots. I find special interest in artisanal food and traditional technique. The watermill and the bakery were one of the biggest surprises of my journeys. The mill, which wiki describes as the oldest functioning mill in Scotland, produces fresh flour on a daily basis. I spent three days in the area and went back every day to try the goods they make out of their flour and oatmeal. I got to eat the best scones and bagles I had in my life, both from earthy and rich whole meal flour, sour dough bread and more.
The area is beautiful and quiet and although it is such a small place I found it worth a detour. Very much recommended as a good source of healthy carbs and glimpse at history at its best.
Ruthie

2  Thank Ruth R
Reviewed 31 May 2012

If you are in the Blair Atholl area look for the Watermill - you won't be disappointed. The food is very good and the staff excellent. Also the breads and chutneys on sale in the shop are worth taking home. Definately worth a visit.

2  Thank Videoeye
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Called in here with our toddler on our way to the highlands. Nice old building in a lovely spot with plenty of space outside for little ones to charge about. The wife and I both ordered sandwiches on bagels and a soup for our little boy. Our sandwiches came without the salad that was shown on the menu and when we asked about it the waitress just stood there and looked at us. After some explanation and pointing to the menu we got her to understand. We eventually got our salad but no apology. According to the menu the bagels were also supposed to be toasted but they weren't and, given our salad experience we decided not to say anything.

Overall the food was good - especially the bread and the soup - and reasonable value for this part of the world. Hopefully our experience was just a one-off - we plan to visit again the next time that we're passing and see.

1  Thank The_Satsus