I spent a week at Mariposa Jungle Lodge in February with a friend, and it was such an amazing experience I have had trouble putting it into words. As a first-time visitor to Belize and Central America, it was invaluable to have Mariposa’s friendly expertise, and the personalized experience and attention made me feel like a VIP!
To give a sense of my trip, I had to break it down into manageable chunks:
1. Arrival - After pick up at the airport and a delightful tour of the Belize Zoo with Augusto, we were welcomed with a complementary Belizean cocktail on arrival at the lodge. It was a really personal touch and a great transition from the daily grind to the world of the Belizean jungle.
2. Cabanas - The cabanas are top notch and beautifully constructed; atmosphere is airy and spacious yet private and comfortable. My traveling companion and I loved returning from a day of adventures to read on the porch and listen to the jungle come alive at sunset. The locally-sourced building materials and art create a perfect environment. I appreciated the environmentally-friendly on demand water heaters.
3. Food – We could not wait to arrive at breakfast or dinner and experience the daily menu, which was varied and focused on traditional Belizean cuisine of the area. A beautiful touch was a personalized menu each night – I have kept copies of each for a memory book. One night the staff overheard we thought ice cream would be great with the sauteed fruit for dessert, and the next night it magically appeared on our dessert plates!
4. Staff – The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, but in a laid back and unobtrusive way. Sharyn is a wonderful hostess, Nelmarie was always checking in to see if there was anything we needed, and Esau’s cooking stands out. Mariposa’s tour guides, especially Augusto, were very knowledgeable and really added to our experiences in Caracol, etc.
5. The Grounds - Mariposa has taken full advantage of the lush jungle surrounding the lodge but also provides a finishing touch. Everything looks so natural and creates such a relaxing atmosphere. The bird watching tower and nature trail were so nice to have nearby for instant wildlife viewing.
6. Tours – Last but not least. Our tours were fantastic. Whether it was touring Caracol or caving in ATM, we learned a lot about Mayan culture and had a lot of good laughs with the guides. At a wonderful outing named “Happy Hour with Butterflies,” we enjoyed a cocktail while learning about many of the butterfly species in the area from a couple running a butterfly farm. The resident tarantula was an added thrill (from a distance, of course!)
I could go on and on, as I don’t feel I did my entire experience justice. I am looking forward to returning with my family, hitting all the tours that I missed and experiencing that magical Mariposa atmosphere. Thanks to Sharyn and the entire staff at Mariposa for an unforgettable vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique eco-resort nestled under the jungle canopy of San Antonio, Belize, offers six luxury cabanas with air conditioning and wifi, mosquito-netted canopy beds, private screened porches with hammocks, and comfortable sitting areas for relaxation. Enjoy local and international cuisine, full bar, and the library with an eclectic book collection, games, and array of international art and memorabilia. Mariposa is well-located for tours to regional Maya archaeological sites, waterfalls, caves, and rivers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Mariposa Jungle Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mariposa Jungle Hotel San Ignacio