“regretted stay”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Brunswick
canberra
“regretted stay”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Our first negative experience was when we heard the staff arguing between themselves. We settled on the knowledge it was grand final weekend and other motels were booked heavily for that weekend. Bad choice. Yes, you get a microwave and toaster but no crockery or utensils. what the!

Our major complaint is that we booked the studio room for the two of us which contained a queen and single. We ended up getting charged for a third person for the the three nights for a total of $60 because the single bed was disturbed. At no point during our stay was a third person present in our room. We have stayed at a lot of motels were the single gets disturbed and no charges have been made for a third person. because quite clearly only two people stayed in the room.

There was no consultation with us for any extra charges and they deducted from our bank account after we left. Leaving us with no option but to deal with a staff over the phone. The staff member on the phone basically accused us of having a third person staying with us which was totally untrue and their attitude was totally unreasonable.

I hung up the phone feeling in disbelief feeling that this management is all out to unconscionably grab as much money from customers with baseless allegations with no regard to business ethics.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank bswjhw
Lisa_S_759, Owner at Parkville Motel, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
It is unfortunate that you decided to write a review on tripadvisor as i am not sure you are clear on what twin share means. You signed a form when you checked in and also on your wotif sheet that says "Our published room rate is based on 2 persons in 1 bed. Twin share OR 3rd person will incur an extra charge of $20 per night." It was me who you spoke to yesterday and at no time did i say there were 3 people in the room but i explained to you that if the room is used as twin (which means 2 beds are used) then an extra charge in incurred which you should have read when you signed your registration. Please make sure you read and understand all paperwork before signing. I understand that there were not 3 people in your room but twin share means both beds are used and therefore it costs us money, so an extra charge is incurred, i am not sure how much clearer i can be on this.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Northcote, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Our son stayed here and found the Motel to be of opposite to the negative review by the anonymous person who has totally reviewed the Motel incorrectly.

The operators were very helpful and obliging, and we felt good knowing he was with people who were concerned about their patrons.

The Motel was very neat and clean.

The location was well positioned just outside the CBD and walking distance to major supermarkets and shops.

The motel is 5 minutes from the railway station and about 20 minutes walking from CBD.

Being close to a railway station and a main road, you have to expect noise from the trains and traffic, but don't panic, it doesn't effect your sleeping or privacy

The other patrons were very quiet and kept to themselves.

The only problem is if you plan to cook a roast, there is no oven, but a microwave.

Take a laptop to connect to the internet.

It is a 3 star motel, so don't expect the Hilton, but the rooms are very comfortable, clean and has everything you need.

It is very well priced.

carlrobertpalmer@skymesh.com.au

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank OldManEmu
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2011

I can normally shrug off negative experiences and forget about them, but this one scarred me forever.

Right after we checked in, I went to use the toilet and found that someone had already taken a dump in it. That someone also didn’t flush. The contents were staring back at me. Since I was the first person (since check in) to use the toilet, the toilet contents must have been left there for an unknown period.

I went to complain to the desk about it. Shockingly they accused us of doing the business ourselves and did it so we’d have something to complain about. I was so hurt that I couldn’t even argue. I just went back and flushed it myself then lined the seat with plentiful toilet paper before I would sit on it.

Sure, I can also write about the filth of the place, the rudeness of the staff, but I’ve been in other places like that. What other places can’t compare with is that I’ve never seen more blatant evidence of not cleaning up after the previous checkout.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank marriedwithchildren6

Travellers are raving about these Brunswick hotels

adelaide
Reviewed 6 January 2011

THE WORST MOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN. The rooms were dirty and boiling hot despite it being normal weather while we were there. I suspect the decor hasn't been updated since they opened. But the worst part was the arrogant and nosy owner who was practically spying on me and my friends while we stayed there. She made completely untrue allegations to our noise levels (when we weren't even at the motel at the time!) and tried to enter our room early one morning while she thought we were asleep to 'check' on us! They also kept ringing our room and claiming to have the 'wrong number' to see if we were in the room in the mornings. Obviously they think all people under 30 are the devil. We were looking for a relaxing weekend away to visit our friend who lived close by (which is why i chose it) but the rudeness of the owner added a unnecessary amount of tension to our trip. I have never experienced such rudeness in all my life. I do not recommended this motel unless you like dirty and hotel rooms with people monitoring your every move.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank illsay
Hornsby, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2010

dont use, run down seedy joint. rooms nothing like those portrayed on websites staff rude and unobliging

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dougHornsby
melbourne
Reviewed 8 February 2010

We arrived to Parkville Motel for a week and we were immediately disappointed. The room smelt slightly and there was a gap around the door which we tried to block with towels etc. However this was not enough. There was a concealed ants nest outside the door and ants consistantly came in. I notified the reception of the ants and they sprayed some insect repellant but again that did not stop them.

We arrived back late one night to hundreds of ants in the room after the food. Granted we shouldn't have left one biscuit on the side but it was horrible site to come back to. The reception wasn't contactable after 9pm (and if you did contact them apparently they charge you) so we managed the situation ourself.

Another thing that they don't tell you about is the cost of using the laundry facilities and the costly internet!! I was confronted with a very rude owner when I tried to use the laundry facilities (when I was told they were complimentary the first time and no mention of the $8 per load). I'm not impressed with this motel and it is the worse place I've ever stayed. I wouldn't recommend it to my dog and if you are staying there be prepared with insect killer.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cheryljackson44
Lisa_S_759, Owner at Parkville Motel, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
This guest left much more than 1 biscuit laying unconcealed in the room. We have a pest inspector review the motel every 3 months to make sure we are meeting strict health regulations. If guests leave food lying around we cannot promise that ants will not enter room as our doors open directly outside.
Victoria
Reviewed 10 October 2006

We stayed at the Parkville Hotel, Park Street, Parkville which is located near the Melbourne Zoo. Thats why we booked it.
However, the location was the only good thing about the motel.

The room was dirty, the blankets needed a good wash, and there was layers of dust on everything. It also smelt terrible even though it was advertised as a non smoking room. We booked for three people, myself, my husband and a four year old to be accomodated on a sofa bed. The sofa bed wasn't made up on arrival, and we had to make it ourselves. The tiles in the bathroom area around the shower area and toilet were filthy and there was bits of who knows what stuck to them. The hot water supply was actually very good, with good pressure at a hot temperature.

The 'basic kitchenette' facilities advertised consisted of a small microwave which didn't work properly, an old toaster, and a fridge which one would expect to find in any motel room. There was no crockery or cutlery to cook toast. Basic kitchenette one would assume would have at least two plates, knives and forks etc.

Perhaps the worst thing of all was the used condom my husband found just under the bed amongst the layers of dust when we were checking for left behind toys.

Whilst we understand it is a supposedly three and a half star hotel and is favourably priced for the area, there is no excuse for poor hygiene and my recommendation is to look elsewhere if you are visiting the Melbourne Zoo area. The Vibe Carlton for about $30 extra dollars a night would have been a much better choice within walking distance to the zoo.

13 Thank OzTraveller1Child
Lisa_S_759, Owner at Parkville Motel, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Please be advised that there are new owners since this post!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brunswick
Vibe Hotel Carlton
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,095 reviews
Parkville Place Apartments
#3 of 3 in Brunswick
Park Squire Motor Inn & Serviced Apartments

Been to Parkville Motel? Share your experiences!