Lamrock Lodge
Adina Apartment Hotel Bondi Beach Sydney(Bondi)(Great Value!)
US$219
US$117
Agoda.com
US$219
  • Beachfront
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments(Coogee)(Great Value!)
US$130
Hotwire.com
QT Bondi(Bondi)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our experience at Lamrock Lodge was terrible from the moment we stepped through the door. The lady in the office was rude when I questioned the 2% charge to pay by australian debit card. We immediately could smell drugs coming from several of the rooms and when we told the staff, she sighed and said she would check it out. Nothing was done about this. We even witnessed a drug deal take place at the entrance of the hostel in full view of the cctv cameras. The management knows of the illegal activities that are taking place in their business and do not care about it. The room was dirty, the bed was broken and the bathrooms were disgusting. They say they clean the hostel every 6 hours but the walls of the showers are covered in soap scum and hair. Do not take off your shoes in this hostel even in your private room or you will have black feet. Nothing is provided unless you pay $15 to hire cutlery, mugs etc. Internet is very expensive. Nothing was explained when we checked in just given our keys ($20 key deposit) not even an 'enjoy your stay'. We will definitely not come back to this hostel and we have contacted the police about the drug dealing on premises.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sg882014
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hostel is probably one of the cheapest places to stay in Sydney, and I suppose you get what you pay for in that aspect. When I arrived, before I even walked in the door, there were 3 men hanging out in the front lounge area- one asked me if I knew where he could get any weed, one appeared to be homeless, sleeping in a sleeping bag on one of the benches, and another was a drunk older man on the phone to who I assumed to be his wife, apologizing for abusing her. Being a 21 year old girl travelling alone, the circumstances already appeared to not be in my favor. When I walked in I was met by a bored receptionist who told me that they tried my card a few weeks ago and it was declined. I'm a student from overseas, so I am broke 90% of the time. One of the reasons I chose this hostel was because I was told both over the phone and on the terms and conditions online that my card would NOT be charged ahead of time- I would put down a certain percentage when I booked the room, then pay for the rest when I arrived. So it was disappointing that I wasn't told they would be trying to charge my card. She then told me that I would need to give her a $20 key deposit, in cash. I had no cash on me so I then had to walk to an ATM and bring it back to her. I checked the terms and conditions up and down and saw only one vague reference of a $20 deposit, not stating what it was for, and not stating that it had to be in cash. She informed me that I would get that $20 back at the end of my stay. Considering I had my weekend trip budgeted literally down to the dollar, losing that $20 for the weekend meant I had to choose whether to sightsee or eat the next day. It would have been nice to know that I would need extra ahead of time. Wifi, which is $15 for a week, also needs to be paid in cash. I'm not sure why they only take cash on these things considering they had no problem using my credit card for my booking, but I digress. I was then given a key and headed up to my room. There are no lifts so if you have heavy luggage, this may be a problem. Now, for my room. I had a single room. My room had a bunkbed, a small table, and a TV mounted to the wall. The remaining floor space was about 4 square feet. There are loose cords from the TV and wall-mounted fan hanging everywhere, so this room certainly wouldn't be suitable if you're travelling with a child. Each bunk has one pillow, one sheet and one thin blanket. The room was freezing- I used all four blankets plus one I had brought from home and still froze throughout the night. Keep it in mind that you should bring as many blankets as you can.
Now, the bathrooms. Firstly...quite vague and confusing. I stayed on the third floor. The bathrooms consist of two doors- one door had a sign that said "Gents" and there were about 3-4 private shower and toilet stalls inside. The door next to it didn't say anything, and it was just one small room with a private toilet, sink and shower. I'm still not sure if that was supposed to be the ladies room or what, and it wouldn't bother me if the bathrooms were coed, but it's quite confusing to have one bathroom labeled for men and the other one completely different and not labeled at all. Said mystery bathroom was the one I used- the floor is always soaking wet because the shower head is in the middle of the wall approximately 6 inches in front of the toilet. The sink is about 6 inches in front of that. There's no shower curtain or wall or even a stall between the shower and toilet and sink- all are right on top of each other in a room that's literally about 4 feet long and only as wide as a toilet.
Now, the afternoon before I left Sydney, I asked the receptionist about booking an airport shuttle for me. The website states it's $20 FROM the airport and $15 TO the airport, but, misinformed again, she told me that it is in fact $20, not $15. Due to the website, I was under the impression that they had their own shuttle service, but that's not the case, all she does is call a shuttle for you. Obviously something you could do yourself at any hostel, so don't let their promise of a shuttle service trick you into thinking they have something that other hostels don't. Anyway- she told me to be outside ten minutes before my shuttle time. The next morning, I was all packed up and went downstairs ten minutes ahead of time, like she said, and (surprise surprise) there was no one at the reception desk, meaning no one I could check out with, give the key back to, and get back my $20 deposit. My shuttle was booked to arrive at 7am, which is considered early checkout, but I clearly saw the receptionist write my name down for early checkout so there's no excuse as to why reception wasn't open. I stood and waited, knocked and even called the manager's number which is posted on the door "for 24 hour enquiries" (I called three times, they finally answered on the third call and hung up on me without a word after I explained what was going on). The receptionist never came, but a man came by, (I'm not sure if this had anything to do with my phone call or if he was just passing through the reception area) told me check-out wasn't until 8:30am. I told him my name was on the list for early check out, he asked me "What do you want", I said I needed to return my key and get my deposit back, and he did that for me. I was then on my way, ten minutes later than I should have been.
Some other things- the hostel is practically made entirely out of wood, meaning you can hear everything. You can't sleep past 5am because people are stomping throughout. The rooms smell. No one is allowed in the common area or surrounding streets past 9pm or else police are called, meaning if you're a smoker or just want somewhere to hang out, you can't do it outside the hostel past 9pm. Each time I walked past reception, the woman was in there watching a movie paying no attention to anything else. There is a rule (which is very vaguely stated in the terms and conditions) that you must dispose of your rubbish in a plastic bag and into the bins in the back of the building or else you WILL NOT get your key deposit back. It costs to rent a towel. There's a kitchen downstairs but there's no bread or milk or any common ingredients like most hostels have, you have to bring your own food. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of things but this is all off the top of my head.
Honestly guys- this may be a cheap place but it's not worth it. It turned what was supposed to be a fun easy weekend trip into a stressful annoying ordeal. I PROMISE it's worth spending extra for a better hostel. Do not stay in this place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank courtsscourt
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here for three nights and will probably never return. The room and bathroom were dirty and there was constant noise from other visitors. The internet is also incredibly expensive. The only saving graces were that the staff were always friendly to us and the hotel is a short walk away from bondi beach.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Don't go there. It is not clean. Poor service . People on front desk hardly say hi. They do not offer glasses or dishes you need to pay for them. One of the worse places I have been ever!! It us close to the beach it is the only good thing that it had...

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Barbara R
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The good points - the location was spot on, just a 5 minute stroll and your on Bondi beach. A very nice area full of restaurants, cafes and bars.

The bad points - I stayed in a twin room which was very basic & pretty dirty. The bed was the worst bed I have ever slept in, the mattress was so thin it would have been more comfortable sleeping on the hard dirty floor. Stains on the pillow cases and holes in the bed sheets. The 'receptionist' was normally found outside the front of the hostel smoking. If you drive parking outside the hostel is approx. $4 per hour so instead why not drive about 5 minutes away to Castlefield street where it is free.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple