“Suitably unimpressed!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Smithfield
Trading Places Guest House
Ranked #2 of 9 Smithfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We recently booked and stayed at Trading Places. The booking was very badly handled. I requested a single room, with private bathroom. I was put in a "house" around the corner from the main venue, and forced to share facilities. I found this to be totally unacceptable, specially when I informed the owner of my requirements on the way to the place. I still don't understand the rationale. Don't they know what people booked and paid for? This made the rest of my stay in the town totally unpleasant!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MarkHalpern
Carmel R, Owner at Trading Places Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

I am really sorry that you found your stayover so unsatisfactory that it has affected your view of our town. But the story, as you know, is more complicated.
You were part of what was, for us, a big booking. It involved a number of motor-bikers and back-up support, so from the start the group was booked to stay at both our self-catering units and the B&B house. The bikers made several changes to the booking arrangements before arrival, making it necessary to move someone from one house to the other. I asked the person managing the booking arrangements to help me get in touch with you so I could discuss whether you would agree to move to a self-catering unit. I was told that you had said there would be no problem.
After your review on Trip Advisor I contacted her and she wrote, “Mark was part of a 'road trip' group whose requirements increased after first enquiry and thus his accommodations were altered and approved by the trip coordinator.”
When everyone arrived my partner accompanied those staying at the self-catering house to their accommodation. The unit booked for you - our largest, with private bathroom and an enclosed courtyard off the bedroom - was open and ready for you. However the bikers staying at the self-catering house were sitting together in one of the other units, and told my partner they wanted to chat and relax after their ride and would go to the remaining unit (yours) later.
That unit, set aside for you, stayed open and empty all night. The next morning when I realised that you had not used your room I offered you a refund but you said “everything was fine”, and refused to take it.
I don't really know what else we could have done in the situation since: 1. We were told you had approved the move; 2. We provided a large private en-suite unit for you; and 3. We offered you a refund when it turned out that you hadn't used that accommodation.
Once again I sincerely regret that, despite our efforts, you were so unhappy.

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

What a great place to stopover. Very relaxing and good value. Gus was extremely helpful and pointed out the local sites in no time. Fantastic restaurant recommendations as well! I definitely recommend this B&B to anyone and it will be on my stopover route in the future.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Feersumenjin
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

A wonderful gem in the little town of Smithfield. Well appointed, super comfortable very clean and run by warm and welcoming couple. The town also offers some lovely dining cafés and art galleries to browse!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is my second review about this establishment and it certainly won't be my last :) Being from the city, I had forgotten what true hospitality is and that in my opinion is what makes Trading Places and Smithfield as a whole a worthwhile destination and not just a stopover.
On arrival we were served decadent cookies with coffee and tea. Our room was clean, stylish and with all the comforts one could desire. We spent the greater part of the afternoon relaxing on our veranda, taking in the moutainview and later went exploring the town with its hidden gems.

We had dinner at the Lauging Likkewaan, 2 houses down the road from Trading Places. Carmel (the owner) provided us with a solarlamp for the journey as streetlights are few and far between. The food was incredible and we spent a good chunk of time there having drinks with fellow travellers. A definite must visit - remember to book in advance as they fill up very quickly and all the food is freshly prepared from local produce.

I would recommend Trading Places and Smithfield to any traveller. I will definitely be back :)

Room Tip: The room in the corner with the Queensize bed and double shower is by far my favorite.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2013

On a recent trip we decided to stop over in Smithfield, and we found a very cozy guest house, Trading Places.

It is a beautiful old house with pine floors and furniture from yesteryear, and have a very homely feel to it.
The owners Carmel and Gus are excellent hosts, with a good eye and a artistic talent, keen cyclist will love the stories Carmel has to tell about resent adventures on the mountain bike.

After a good nights sleep we left our new found friends, heading home bound . Trading Places is a excellent guest house and worth a visit.

Koos and Annatjie Annandale
Queenstown

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leon A
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed a night after a long drive, arrived late, to an oasis of peace and tranquility in Smithfield . Thankyou Carmel and Gus. We loved our stay and our room was just perfect. You have done so much, and we look forward to coming back and seeing all your projects come to fruition. We absolutely loved going to Laughing Likkewaan for dinner, and browsing the books as an aperitif. To be highly recommended.!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay over at Trading Places. Our apartment had everything we needed and loved the view on the Smithfield Mountain. We appreciated the fact that there is a separate secure fenced-in garden where our doggy could stretch her legs. A lovely little town with lots of atmosphere and friendly people. The apartment, the bedding and amenities are of the best and the place is very tastefully decorated. Carmel and Gus did everything to make our stay special. We especially also enjoyed the dinner arranged for us at the Laughing Likkewaan. An outing we can recommend, but of course the entire experience at Trading Places.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Carmel R, Owner at Trading Places Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate that you spent the time to do so.

It was great to meet you and your friendly K9, and we hope you'll be back soon to spend some time with us.