San Alfonso del Mar
US$205
Travelocity
Hotel San Antonio(San Antonio)
US$149
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Pacifico(Algarrobo)
Santorini Hotel(El Quisco)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslargest pooldel marartificial lagoonper personchilliswimming poolkeep in mindpublic beachcomplexoceantaxidectubesscenecoastvalparaisokm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Chile is a rich country so like most places here this is way overpriced. Its cold and windy even in summer. The pool is unheated sea water and most reviewers confirm it was too cold and windy for them. Most will want to use the heated indoor pool but its $8 each entry and if you leave to eat or use the bathroom its another $8 to reenter. There is a modest gym which costs alot to use. The beach is small unless you walk a bit. This is NOT a hotel and the apartments are highly variable, some poorly furnished and for all you have to arrange your own towels, toilet paper, sheets, food etc(but you can rent linens-no changes--for a sizeable fee but even if done in advance its unlikely you will arrive to a clean apt with fresh linens). The staff is mostly indifferent and it takes half an hour to days to do anything (ie, typical 3rd world). Its common to arrive to a dirty apartment with no linens(and sometimes no electricity or keys) and you often cannot get it cleaned during your stay unless you pay for a new set. If you arrive in two cars you have to park the other one outside where it gets broken into or stolen. Most of year its largely deserted. The two modest restaurants seem to be closed afternoons and on some special days all day. The small supermarket across the street has limited selections. Nothing happening here and its over an hour to the closest big town. There are some good reviews in Spanish that I bet are from the apartment owners or their friends as they are totally at odds with the others. Making reservations is a nightmare. Do yourself a favor and pick a smaller resort or a poorer country.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
101  Thank rhynchosaur
Reviewed 19 March 2012

First, it's not a hotel. It's a bunch of apartments. we stayed at the "Faro" tower, the smallest fo all the buildings.
Amenities are poor and/or expensive: To use the indoor pool , they pretended to charge us 8 dollars EACH TIME you want to enter (so if you exit to go to the bathroom, you'll need to pay extra 8 dollars). Sushi Restaurant was close during our entire stay (Dec 23rd to January 1st). As I mentioned, indoor pool wasn't included in the final rent price. Neither the gym nor the use of any sailing option.
Algarrobo it's a beautiful small town, colorfull and quiet. Not much to see around.
Apartments were pretty decent. Nice view from all of them. Comfortable and neat. Everything is like you see in the pictures. Maintenance is done daily all over the place, so the water is clean, the sand and place as well.
The people who runs the place, weren't the nicest.
The best: During the first 8 days of our stay , the place was empty , not a single soul except of me and my wife. After Dec 31st, all local owners came to celebrate New Year's Eve... crowded is not the place to be.
Too expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: Seems like the towers were buildt in different stages, the newest the tower, the better (and expensive) the apartment will be.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
142  Thank Roberto O
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at San Alfonso for two nights in Feb. 2012 with our family. I have mixed views about this hotel but have no regrets visiting it once because I´ve heard so much about it and it is indeed gorgeous.

The Good:
-Overall, the complex is impressive; gorgeous pools, great waterslide (large one for big "kids" and small one for little kids), lovely white sand beaches, a huge number of children parks, etc. Our kids had a blast!
-My husband and I went to the spa and enjoyed incredible 50 minute muscular masages, which were high-quality and very reasonably priced.
-The aquarium was free and good entertainment for 30 minutes or so (although poorly lit and in an underground cafe). Also there was a dead small shark. My boys thought it was awesome, especially when the other fish were attacking it, but I was slightly repulsed.

The Not-So-Good:
-As someone else mentioned, many of the activities cost additional $$. For example, the gym, hot tubs, life jackets to go on the inflatable slide, etc. are all extra. And, in the case of the gym, the cost is substantial (something like 6.000-8.000 CLP per visit) and completely not worth it.
-Like many places in Chile, the apartments to not provide sheets and towels (unless you want to play an extra fee, which is substantially more than purchasing your own items). I completely don´t understand this - especially when the cost is over $300 USD per night. For a foreigner flying in, this is an annoyance. We live in Santiago and the concept of bringing my own sheets and towels just makes me angry, particularly at the price being charged.
-The pools were a bit cool (unheated), but in February this wasn´t an issue... however I can imagine they would be unswimmable from late March until early December.
-Bring ALL your own food. There are little to no options in terms of decent restaurants within the complex and many are cash/cheque only. Again, this is very odd to me. In this complex they have a captive audience of people who can afford to spend a lot of money to stay here yet there is no where decent to eat. Even the grocery store across the street is bare bones. Seems like a business opportunity to me! AND, at minimum, they should make it easy to pay!
-The quality of the apartment is highly dependant on the owner and which building it is in (i.e., age of the building). Our apartment was new and clean (in building Crusero). The kitchen was poorly equipped (bare bones, cheapest possible everything) and the furniture was also very basic but functional.

Taking all the good and the bad together, as I said upfront, I have no regrets visiting San Alfonso once and recommend it for families with small children!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
106  Thank WeylandFamily
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The apartments are clean, well equipped, and have views of the largest swimming pool in the world. We had no trouble booking through the website as expressed in other reviews. My husband and I are living in Chile at the moment, so we opted to take our own sheets and towels instead of paying the extra surcharge.

We spent 3 nights at San Alfonso del Mar, and had a most enjoyable and relaxing stay. We did not swim in the outdoor pool as it was too cold (we visited in early October), but did pay to use the indoor pool in the pyramid, which is heated, and also has a spa.

Whilst we did enjoy a relaxing weekend away, it is probably important to point out that there is very little to do in Algorrobo away from the apartments and pool. Also, there were only 2 restaurants and a cafe at the complex. Being a long weekend, there were quite a few people around, however we get the impression that most of the guests were the owners of apartments, and it is really more of a holiday destination for Chileans who own apartments in the complex than tourists as such. If suited our purposes for the weekend, however, do not mistake this place for a resort with loads of tourists, activities and bars etc. We brought snack food with us for the weekend, which I would recommend as the supermarket across the road did not have a very good selection. I would also recommend buying any other food you want to cook, and drinks etc and bring with you.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
65  Thank Pinkbandicoot
Reviewed 26 July 2011

This place was wonderful. The kitchen had every tool imaginable. The facilities were clean and the food was delicious. Would recommend in warmer months. We went at the beginning of December and it was still a little cool, so I could not enjoy the large pool as much.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple