“Depends on what you're looking for...”

San Alfonso del Mar
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Algarrobo
Reviewed 19 January 2013

when you go to San Alfonso del Mar. It is NOT a hotel, it's private condos that are rented out. My wife and I live in Santiago (my work) and we love traveling around Chile. My daughter came from college for a few days during Christmas break and we stayed at San Alfonso for three nights (minimum stay). We stayed at La Crucera on the 8th floor. The condo was a definite O.K. You have to pay extra or bring your own towels and sheets. We opted for the pay extra and when we arrived all was in order. The condo was O.K. and I say that because, the microwave didn’t work, it wasn’t overly clean, didn’t have a cork screw and other few odds and ends. By no means did we let it get us down and we managed alright. The two ladies spent all day out in front of the condo tanning and I did that as long as I could and then walked around, fished, flew a kite and piddled around. The beach at the pool was nice, clean and well kept. The staff really doesn’t cater to the guest, they cater to the pool. There were many rules, one of which you could not have beer at the pool. Beer at the largest pool in the world? We put it in cups and nothing else was said. You couldn’t swim wherever you wanted. You had to stay in certain areas and give way to the sail boats and kayaks. The water in the Giant pool was MUCH warmer than the water in the smaller pool, It’s a haven for young people and I can see where it could be a lot of fun. As frequent travelers, we’re more into the secluded cabana thing than the largest crowd, I mean pool, in the world. Although it was not crowded at all. Hardly anyone there. There is a great little bar on the end close to the Pacific that served fantastic Pisco Sours and had cold Chilean beers. The “aquarium” was a little cheesy and didn’t impress us at all. On the positive side, the girls got a massage and said it was the best they had ever had! I couldn’t believe it. We didn’t eat any meals on the property so I can’t speak to that. We did eat at two places in town. One was by the Yacht Club and none of us can remember the name. It was not the best seafood and was so unremarkable, we forgot the name. If any of us remember the name, I’ll post an update… The other place we ate was right on the beach and it was called Puerto Pizza. I t was hands down, without a doubt, the worst Pizza I have ever had. No kidding. Not to mention the hefty price tag. However, having had some of the best Pizza in Chile, USA, Peru. Bolivia, and other places, maybe I am skewed. The girls agreed that the pizza was bad and we left and had sandwiches at the condo… Having said all of this, if you’re looking for a knock down drag out rock and roll party for young people, go to Vina. If you’re looking for a nice secluded place to have a romantic time on the beach, San Alfonso is NOT it. If you’re on a tight budget, go somewhere else. If you are a ‘tweener ( kids between a kid and a teenager) this may well be your place. Bothe the girls said they would go back because the sun tanning was great. Not real crowded and no public Peanut Gallery to yell, whistle and cat call while all you want to do is get some sun… As for me, glad I saw it, Glad I went, glad I got the T-shirt. It’s in the closet…

Room Tip: seemed to be more activity opposite of La Crucera
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
46  Thank BillyAbroad
There are newer reviews for San Alfonso del Mar

Reviewed 9 December 2012

so its kitsch - and it's surrounded by 1500 appartments owned by upper class chileans - but so what - it's lots of fun sitting on a kayak paddling the world's largest outdoor pool - and if you are at san alfondo del mar midweek/off season you are pretty much guaranteed the place to yourself [as i did 05/12]

my 2 bedroom rented appartment was fully self contained and came in at less cost than i would have paid for an inner city 1 bedroom 'box' in any capital city in oz

make sure you take all your food/alcohol with you and just to make life easy organise a car to get you ther from santiago as very few local have ever heard of the place - and you can always cruise back to santiago through the valley/vinyards [thats another story]....

but the roar of the pacific as you watch the sun go down while you sip on your favourite quencher is as they say ... to die for ... i didn't die but will never forget that experience

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
17  Thank krobar-oz
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This place is interesting. A really beautiful beach with massive waves and a huge pool. The complex is not terribly interesting to look at, just a lot of apartment buildings. We rented a 2 bedroom apartment for the weekend. A bit pricey, but really nice to have the stocked kitchen to cook in and really nice to hear the waves crashing all night. The view from the apartment was wonderful and we enjoyed the sunset from the deck. We ate at the aquarium cafe on Friday evening, interesting idea but kind of run down and the food was limited and below average. We visited in March and the weather was foggy and too cold to hang out in the unheated pool. The areas around the pool are nice and would be a great place to relax on a warm day. However there is a nice indoor heated pool with sand surround under a glass pyramid with a few jacuzzis to enjoy as well; you will have to pay extra for this. The dry sauna here is nice too. We did enjoy the South Bay Pub, they had a good Pisco Aji and munchies; plus the view and seating here is great. Bring your swim cap!

Room Tip: Higher floors in the middle of the building and apartments on the very ends have better views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
19  Thank HB1230
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This resort is pretty, everything is new, the service is perfect, the pool is outstanding, but the bad thing is that everything is expensive there the resort charges you for everything. The country is so beautiful. If you want to enjoy beach and pool San Alfonso is the place to relax.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
20  Thank Sandra L
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Chile is a rich country so like most places here this is way overpriced. Its cold and windy even in summer. The pool is unheated sea water and most reviewers confirm it was too cold and windy for them. Most will want to use the heated indoor pool but its $8 each entry and if you leave to eat or use the bathroom its another $8 to reenter. There is a modest gym which costs alot to use. The beach is small unless you walk a bit. This is NOT a hotel and the apartments are highly variable, some poorly furnished and for all you have to arrange your own towels, toilet paper, sheets, food etc(but you can rent linens-no changes--for a sizeable fee but even if done in advance its unlikely you will arrive to a clean apt with fresh linens). The staff is mostly indifferent and it takes half an hour to days to do anything (ie, typical 3rd world). Its common to arrive to a dirty apartment with no linens(and sometimes no electricity or keys) and you often cannot get it cleaned during your stay unless you pay for a new set. If you arrive in two cars you have to park the other one outside where it gets broken into or stolen. Most of year its largely deserted. The two modest restaurants seem to be closed afternoons and on some special days all day. The small supermarket across the street has limited selections. Nothing happening here and its over an hour to the closest big town. There are some good reviews in Spanish that I bet are from the apartment owners or their friends as they are totally at odds with the others. Making reservations is a nightmare. Do yourself a favor and pick a smaller resort or a poorer country.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
101  Thank rhynchosaur
Reviewed 19 March 2012

First, it's not a hotel. It's a bunch of apartments. we stayed at the "Faro" tower, the smallest fo all the buildings.
Amenities are poor and/or expensive: To use the indoor pool , they pretended to charge us 8 dollars EACH TIME you want to enter (so if you exit to go to the bathroom, you'll need to pay extra 8 dollars). Sushi Restaurant was close during our entire stay (Dec 23rd to January 1st). As I mentioned, indoor pool wasn't included in the final rent price. Neither the gym nor the use of any sailing option.
Algarrobo it's a beautiful small town, colorfull and quiet. Not much to see around.
Apartments were pretty decent. Nice view from all of them. Comfortable and neat. Everything is like you see in the pictures. Maintenance is done daily all over the place, so the water is clean, the sand and place as well.
The people who runs the place, weren't the nicest.
The best: During the first 8 days of our stay , the place was empty , not a single soul except of me and my wife. After Dec 31st, all local owners came to celebrate New Year's Eve... crowded is not the place to be.
Too expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: Seems like the towers were buildt in different stages, the newest the tower, the better (and expensi...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
142  Thank Roberto O
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at San Alfonso for two nights in Feb. 2012 with our family. I have mixed views about this hotel but have no regrets visiting it once because I´ve heard so much about it and it is indeed gorgeous.

The Good:
-Overall, the complex is impressive; gorgeous pools, great waterslide (large one for big "kids" and small one for little kids), lovely white sand beaches, a huge number of children parks, etc. Our kids had a blast!
-My husband and I went to the spa and enjoyed incredible 50 minute muscular masages, which were high-quality and very reasonably priced.
-The aquarium was free and good entertainment for 30 minutes or so (although poorly lit and in an underground cafe). Also there was a dead small shark. My boys thought it was awesome, especially when the other fish were attacking it, but I was slightly repulsed.

The Not-So-Good:
-As someone else mentioned, many of the activities cost additional $$. For example, the gym, hot tubs, life jackets to go on the inflatable slide, etc. are all extra. And, in the case of the gym, the cost is substantial (something like 6.000-8.000 CLP per visit) and completely not worth it.
-Like many places in Chile, the apartments to not provide sheets and towels (unless you want to play an extra fee, which is substantially more than purchasing your own items). I completely don´t understand this - especially when the cost is over $300 USD per night. For a foreigner flying in, this is an annoyance. We live in Santiago and the concept of bringing my own sheets and towels just makes me angry, particularly at the price being charged.
-The pools were a bit cool (unheated), but in February this wasn´t an issue... however I can imagine they would be unswimmable from late March until early December.
-Bring ALL your own food. There are little to no options in terms of decent restaurants within the complex and many are cash/cheque only. Again, this is very odd to me. In this complex they have a captive audience of people who can afford to spend a lot of money to stay here yet there is no where decent to eat. Even the grocery store across the street is bare bones. Seems like a business opportunity to me! AND, at minimum, they should make it easy to pay!
-The quality of the apartment is highly dependant on the owner and which building it is in (i.e., age of the building). Our apartment was new and clean (in building Crusero). The kitchen was poorly equipped (bare bones, cheapest possible everything) and the furniture was also very basic but functional.

Taking all the good and the bad together, as I said upfront, I have no regrets visiting San Alfonso once and recommend it for families with small children!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
106  Thank WeylandFamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Algarrobo
Winery Boutique Hotel
#15 of 21 in El Quisco
Cinque Colori
Cinque Colori
#1 of 7 in Algarrobo

Been to San Alfonso del Mar? Share your experiences!