Floris Ustel Midi
US$145
US$134
Pullman
  • Restaurant
Mercure Brussels Centre Midi(Brussels)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$64
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
1,011 results
All reviewsthe grand placemetro stationlarge roomyogurtwandasignal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Great location to trams, train station midi and in a square which has restaurants to eat at that were good pricing. Breakfast is amazing in this hotel they have a selection of meat, cheeses, a coffee machine and so on. the room we were give on day 1 of arrival on 4th floor was immaculate and newer but the second room we were given when we came back from Brugge was slightly student looking with Art Deco walls, the TV wasn't working, the lift was clostaphobic (not joking, it really was) the shower room was not as nice as the other room. It didn't feel like it was the same hotel as it felt like a student room, compared to the other room on the other section of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We were staying 2 nights in this hotel on May 2014. I don't have anything bad to say about the hotel.
It was a clean, good, basic hotel.
Our room was really big. We had separate toilet and bathroom. There were a small lobby with 3 doors (to bedroom, bathroom and toilet). Room was also clean and everything worked ok. I think the room was bigger than the others because it was a corner room with windows to 2 different sides.

Breakfast was also quite basic with coffee, tea and different kind of breads. At first day there weren't any hot food on breakfast but at second day there was scrambled egss. The breakfast was good enough to start a day.

Location of the hotel is good. Only 10-15 minutes walk to city center and near the railway station and also metro was really near the hotel.

Only problem we had was electricity. On the second night we lost electricity from the 1st floor where our room was located. The hall was really dark and we couldn't use hair dryer etc at all on the morning. Just before we checked out the electricity came back. The staff was friendly and promised to send someone to check the situation.
Over all the staff was friendly to us and everything went really smoothly in the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Be very careful with this hotel. The room I paid £100 per night for was quite horrible. Two single beds thrown into a room barely big enough to swing a ferret never mind a cat. Peeling paint work, rubbish furniture and filthy curtains that didn't cover the whole window. This hotel needs some serious TLC. At this price I would avoid - location is also not great, although close to Brussels MIDI station.

Room Tip: I only saw one room and it was horrible.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Patrick C
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I booked this hotel together with tickets on Eurostar and I purposely chose the hotel due to it being relatively close to the terminal.The hotel itself is just over the road from a subway station and around the corner from a bus terminal.The city centre and its sights is within walking distance and would take only about 15minutes to get to on foot. During our 4 day stay we had contact with several people from the hotel all of which were very pleasant indeed. The receptionists speak several languages and we had no problem with the staff at all as they were all keen to help us.
Our room did not have much of a view but who cares as it was clean and well maintained(room 406) There is also free wifi internet in the entire hotel and the television has channels in all languages including BBC and mediaset.
The breakfast was a continental buffet but also included cooked eggs,bacon and toast
I would highly recomend this hotel for anyone wishing to visit Brussels . .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I booked this hotel very last minute because of some plans being cancelled and prior to my booking, i've read reviews about this hotel and i have lower down my expectations towards this hotel. It turns out that the reviews were true and i would like to ONCE AGAIN list down the facts that i have came accross personally.

1. Staff : Hotel staff not being friendly and this is true! The staff whose working on both 4th & 5th May's morning shift was unfriendly. My various approach with him did not went well and you defiinitely do not wish to encounter this as this would ruin your day (having to start a conversation with rude staff early in the morning before starting off my day) Even the day on my check in, i asked if i could check in earlier if the room is empty - he just answered NO without even checking. This hotel should take their customers' feedback seriously and improve if they want to "survive" in this business seriously! Nonetheless, there's a female staff working in the evening, which i find friendly and at least professional as compared to the others.

2. Luggage room: I think hostel's luggage room are even safer than theirs! At least you need to approach the receptionist for a key. This hotel's luggage room is unlocked and not monitored. I once walked in (due to emergency) without asking the reception and no one stops me. This means, anyone could go in and just grab luggages away. Although this is at customers' own risk for putting luggage under the hotel's custody but i would expect hotel to at least show some care towards our belongings.

3. Cleanliness : Total disappointment - I've got at least 5 dead insects (flies and mosquitoes) in my room when i went in and one of them was on my bed sheet. Given that my room was occupied prior to my check in (if the staff was right as mentioned above), i would have expect their cleaning team to be able to pick this up and clean them before the next guest checks in? Apparently not.

4. Toiletries : Towels given were with some stains. Don't feel safe using it.

Overall, worth the stay if you're only looking for a place with strategic location. Monetary wise, it is cheap but not a pleasant stay. I've met some tourists who paid £4-5 extra but with much better service/ambience.

Room Tip: For the same price or at least few pounds more, you can try NH chain of hotels. I met some travellers and they brought me into their hotel. Much better value for money as compared to this one.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank CCMH0419
Maubet D, Manager at Floris Ustel Midi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Sir,

We thank you in advance for taking the time to post a review; we would like to assure you that we take seriously the reviews and work to investigate and find solutions to the problems pointed by our guests.

Before talking about you 4 points I would like to inform you that our ranking (Tripadvisor) place the hotel at the number 5 of 7 hotels in the area. Also not only on Tripadvisor but in other booking engines our service (Reception) and cleanliness are being scored over 7 out of 10.

• Regarding point 01: We are sorry our receptionist ruined your day, we hope you have survived. We are currently taking the measure the problem deserves.

• Regarding point 02: The luggage room has a surveillance camera pointed, any movement in and out is also monitored by our staff. We never had problems in the past.

• Regarding points 03 and 04: Finding insects in a bed at check in is really a bad experience, I would have never accepted to sleep in a room like this. So I wonder if you reported this to the reception? In any case this is being investigated.

Listening to our guest and finding solutions to the problems reported is essential to improve the quality of the service we offer. We work pro-actively to offer every day the best service.

Best Regards