“Warning!! C'est Terrible!! Do not waste your money!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Ares Budget Hotel

Ares Budget Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Anderlecht
Wokingham, Berkshire
“Warning!! C'est Terrible!! Do not waste your money!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

I'm sorry this is lengthy, but if it saves you 100 euros a night, it will be absolutely worth reading the following.....I accompanied my (pregnant) partner on her business trip to Brussels. I'm glad I did as this Hotel was one of the most appalling I've ever had the misfortune of staying in.
Example: The first room given to us (number 38) was the size of a small box, made worse by the wide range of utterly bewildering and useless grey faux marble-topped furniture (The kind that you find in quite a lot of 1980's and 90's formica-clad kitchens), resulting in not being able to walk around the bed. The air-con was broken and the advertised mini-bar had been removed, although the cupboard for it remained in place. The bathroom was unusual in the fact the shower holder was broken and the shower just hanging down. Oh, and the room was bright mint green.
When I spoke to the receptionist, I was firstly told that they were absolutely full, and then after some insistence, they magically found another room - this was, allegedly, a "premier" executive suite (Room no. 12). Slightly heartened by this, I went to inspect. Oh dear. On the approach to the room, I realised that the entire corridor was lit by motion lighting. Applaudable you might say until you realise that you're stood in darkness for 10-15 seconds before the lights flicker to life. This is when you will notice that the break-glass fire alarm in the corridor is taped to the wall with........electrical tape. (On a footnote, I also realised that at this point that there were no fire exit signs. Anywhere.) Having then tripped over someone's luggage in the corridor I went in to the room. I'll say this. It was huge. And empty. Again, an empty cupboard where the mini-bar once stood, although it housed two lamps. One of these was not connected to anything and nothing to connect it with, even if you wanted to, and the other large lamp was sat on the top of the cupboard at about 61/2 feet. (Couldn't reach.) Stuffed in the corner were two spare beds, which although folded, still had all the bedding on. The bed was incredibly low and badly made with a cigarette burnt throw/blanket on top to match the oddly waterproof curtains, and the heavily stained floor, also badly cigarette burnt. All finished in a lovely 1970's brown. The floor sloped upwards from left to right, causing a trip hazard.
Now, the bathroom. The bath was so badly worn that 2/3rds of the enamel had been worn away leaving (rusty) bare steel and cunningly, there was no plug. Again, the shower was broken and just dangling in the bathtub. The toilet seat was broken to match the toilet which bluntly refused to flush. The pedestal under the sink had been placed near the sink, but not actually under it, which itself is odd. And, I had an excellent view of the next floor up through the bathroom ceiling which meant that there was an attractive covering of dust here and there. And the T.V was broken for good measure, although it was near to the broken socket that housed bare wires.
I'm not sure who, or what, gave this Hotel 3 stars but If it was out of five for being bad, they were too kind as it deserves six. Please, please do not waste your money at this terrible, terrible hotel. It is charmless, witless and utterly disgraceful and the owners obviously have no shame.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank DogTheBountyHunter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2008

Adequate hotel. Yes - it's some way out of the centre of Brussels, but that is clear from the websites when you book.

Rooms cleanish and comfortable, a few minor niggles like a broken shower head holder.

Check-in adequate, reasonably friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was very poor, weak coffee and disgusting orange juice. OK croissants, but not much else.

Free wi-fi in the bar area - ask the desk for the password.

Travelling into the centre I would advise getting a cab to the local metro, or walking (about 20mins) and then using Metro to the centre. Unless you really need to (we had to due to an excess of filming equipment for a job) don't get a cab all the way in - very expensinve and slow. Book the cab through the front desk at least 30min in advance or be prepared to wait.

In general, an ok hotel if you're prepared to trek in to the centre. Adequate for the price, but nothing to write home about...

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2008

I booked the Hotel New Prince de Liege in Brussels Belgium. Upon our arrival to the hotel we were told they were fully booked and they had reserved us a different hotel. They mentioned that the new hotel would be 7-10 km away from their hotel (much further outside of the city) and that it was of much lower quality, but cheaper. They said they did have two twin accommodations (we had booked a quad room) at the Price de Liege, but we would have to pay extra. I tried to explain that they should give us the two twin rooms for the same price since we had booked the room in advance and the receptionist refused. We even got the owner on the phone who refused to change the price.

Luckily we had a car to get to the new hotel they had reserved for us-otherwise I am not sure how you would have gotten in and out of the city with out paying a lot of money for cab rides. The new hotel option was not acceptable at all. It was located far outside the city and it was of very poor quality-right on the highway. After reading several other reviews, on other website, I found that they seem to do this very often with their customers.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Anderlecht hotels

Worthing, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2007

I agree with the other reviewer that this hotel is quite a way out of Brussels, but it's fairly cheap (by local standards) and certainly wasn't as nasty as previously described. I stayed for 10 nights in a standard room and my only real complaint was that the fridge (apparently all the room fridges) didn't work. I was assured they are undergoing renovation, though, and would be fixed soon. Not soon enough for my stay, regrettably.

I found the staff were quite friendly and after a few days got my name and my room key memorised. Perhaps their "abruptness" is a European thing to which I'm accustomed?

Downsides: over-firm bed, small shower, fairly expensive food, parking (street is free but crammed or 8 Euro/night in their car park whch also fills up quickly), only one English TV channel (BBC1).

Upsides: good food, "classy restaurant", inexpensive overall, clean (maids were good), friendly, double-glazed, bus route.

Adequate by my standards.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2003

Spent two nights in The Prince after a wonderful stay in Bruges, Belgium. The Hotel was more like a motel and very scary! Although the rooms were fairly large they had a mildew type odor to them. It was the kind of hotel carpeting that you don't even want to walk barefoot on.
You itched all over in the bed...not that you saw anything crawling but you expected to.

The staff was not accomodating when we tried to make arrangements for a taxi van to take us to the airport. The were very rude and unhelpful all around.

And to top it off it was a major schelp to the "downtown area" of Brussels-- We took a local bus which took us 40 minutes to get there.

The whole experience left such a bad taste for Brussels that I do not think I would ever go back to this hotel or this city for that matter.

5 Thank SweetRoadTrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anderlecht
Van Belle Hotel
Van Belle Hotel
#4 of 6 in Anderlecht
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
#2 of 4 in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert
Queen Anne Hotel
Queen Anne Hotel
#100 of 199 in Brussels

Been to Ares Budget Hotel? Share your experiences!