“It was perfect for what we paid”
Review of Van Belle Hotel

Van Belle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Anderlecht
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We have a twin room. The bed was comfortable and the sheets clean. There was plenty of hot water in the shower and there was a safe. It was a short walk from town.

The breakfast was fine, buffet style and would easily fill you up if you wanted to go back and have seconds or thirds.

Room Tip: The hotel faces the main road on one side and an empty building site on the other. The road was qui...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I was accomodated in a single room, which was situated at the highest floor, which was accessible from the fourth floor only by foot through a quite steep stairway. I was already suspicious when a I saw the signs on the door and at the reception that "always lock the doors", which was multiplied by the surroundings. The hotel is in Anderlecht, not far from Gare du Midi (that is why I chose this hotel and because the price, of course) in a dangerous-looking street. However, I had a very pleasant dinner in of the Lebanese bars after arrival :)

The room was really small, reminded me my college dorimitory room :) The biggest problem for me was the noiseness of the floor, I heard everything in night, when my neighbours came/left, when they took a shower, so the noisyness of the rooms is really annoying.

Maybe it was just the issue of single rooms, because the other floors and the double rooms seemed somehow better to me and the hotel was packed.

I can recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a bargain price, who wants to have advantage of the proximity of the Midi Station and for those who are prepared to sacrifice the quality.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Ive stayed in brussels 4 times now and paid about the same as I did here, But this was bottom of the scale on every level, a real let down.

But more than any other point - the other reviews aren't kidding when they said it was a dangerous area. Because the car park was full we ended up going round all the streets late at night looking for a space and got chased down the narrow street by a group of about 12 men. one got into the car and it was only because i hit the peddle that he fell out. we were terrified the rest of the stay. the receptionist didn't really seem to care, as if it was normal and we should expect it. I grew up in some of the rougher areas of london and consider myself streetwise but i was genuinely terrified. Also the streets were filthy, noisy and stinky. its all well and good being close to the centre but getting to it was risky. i feared for my car the whole time as we saw so many smashed windows and ended up lugging all the stock id gone there to pick up, into our room overnight.

we were given a double not a twin as booked, and I was with a friend not a partner. when i asked if, considering this and what had happened the first night if they could forgo the price of the car park, i was laughed at and only offered one free drink at the bar instead.

the room was tiny and thin walls. cruddy bathroom, breakfast was very poor - not even serviettes laid out, watered down juice and weak coffee, no service. in the bar the barman was unbelievably rude. In this bar i had the very unpleasant experience of being asked by a man there in a group of other men if i was looking to be 'his girlfriend for the night, he'd pay well', so i can't imagine the normal type of 'guests' they have here. yuk!

a very out of date hotel - bearable but perhaps only if your travelling with guys rather than two girls like us.

on a positive note the beds were very conformable and the place was sparkling clean

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank lefay18
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Just this morning,a girl was robbed outside the hotel door,because they had locked the door and it was only 1 AM, when they know people are still going in and out of the hotel. Only for the receptionist to refuse and delay in calling the police. A passerby who had seen everything helped in the situation and pushed till the police was called. But every important Card and Id had been stolen, If a hotel does not ensure your safety I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mori5
Reviewed 20 October 2013

For a decent hotel, close to the centre of a major city, the price we paid was VERY good value. We paid £60 for a night.

The hotel is an easy 15 minutes walk to the touristic centre of Brussels - Grand Place etc. Despite what some of the other reviews say, we felt the surrounding area was perfectly fine and safe. To be honest, I think some of the comments are probably based on prejudice more than reality - the area has a high proportion of people of north African / Middle-eastern origin. We had no trouble at all and whilst there is not much to see locally, we did have a meal at one of the local restaurants and it was excellent value and very tasty.

The room itself was quite basic and not all that spacious. However the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was in good order and had a good shower. All in all, excellent value for money.

The breakfast, which was included in the price, was pretty basic - hot food consisted of omelette and frankfurter sausage! There was also a choice of cereals, ham and breads.

Would recommend to anyone looking for good value and a decent location.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Emyr_Elen
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We can say that location is at the same good and bad. The neighborhood is terrible, rather dangerous. I don't recommend wandering there around alone at night yet the city center is really, really close. The quality of breakfast was not very good. The rooms were just alright, I was happy that there was a bath. Of course price was rather low yet I wouldn't have paid more for this kind of hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

Good location, central approximately 10 minutes walk to the Grand Place and 7 min walk to Gare du Midi, this was the first choice when I chose this hotel to be close to the targets!

Neighborhood is not really ok, suspicious people, misery but peacefully, no one possesses took us, even if you go at night after 10! But as I noticed, Brussel is not a clean city, only in the center, we went through the city and is very dirty and suspicious people all over, only feel safe in the center!

The hotel is very nice, with clean linens and towels spotless, comfortable, very nice employees! The coffee in the morning was on the house! We spent 5 nights at this hotel and overall it was ok and very convenient!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patricia N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anderlecht
Floris Ustel Midi
Floris Ustel Midi
#4 of 6 in Anderlecht
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
#21 of 22 in Saint-Gilles
Hotel Queen Anne
Hotel Queen Anne
#100 of 198 in Brussels

Been to Van Belle Hotel? Share your experiences!