“Bed bugs nightmare”
Review of Hotel Derby

Hotel Derby
Ranked #8 of 9 Etterbeek B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Sorry loved the location, staff were brilliant bit grotty but absolutely fine until a week after I got back and was covered in bites from bed bugs. Be warned!..............................................

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank John E

Reviewed 29 October 2012

This hotel is tatty. En suite is cramped and the shower head is encrusted. But the bed is comfortable and the breakfast adequate. The key is that it is by far the cheapest hotel situated on the best junction in the whole of Brussels - Merode. There are several good bars and restaurants a minute away and a street of select shops - Carpe Diem and La Terrasse are the livliest. There are trains, metro, trams and buses in and out of town. Two minutes way is the Parc Cinquitanere with museums and quiet walks. The centre of town is 30 mins walk away through the EC quarter.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paul o
Reviewed 30 September 2012

This is worst hotel that I have ever stayed in. The rooms are basic and unclean. My bathroom was disgusting and the shower was practically glued together. The 'breakfast' is basically a croissant and a bread roll with some butter/jam (in packets) and 1 hot drink. There is an additional supplement even for orange juice! I was under the impression that the hotel had a restaurant/bar connected but don't be fooled - it is separate and was closed for 3-4 nights of my 9 night stay. As a female on my own, I felt genuinely intimidated by the 'reception staff', who are a group of men in their own clothes who take it in turns to man the desk. I was also told that the manager is 'not so understanding about money matters' when I arranged to pay in installments. When I had to return early to the UK, I gave 48 hours notice and was originally told that I would not have to pay for the cancelled nights. The manager then rang me the next morning and demanded that I pay! I said this was unfair but my credit card was charged the same day!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank capa89_12
Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

Received a room with only a sky light and no window. Got used to it as was cool and quiet on the back off hotel. Every thing worke including excellent wireless. Breakfast delivered in roon was funny and quick.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Stayed her in March 2012 for three nights, thanks god not longer.
First of all I would never call this place for a hotel. It is dirty and old and there is not much of service. Me and my friend got a room on the top floor and since the elevator was out of function we had to carry our suitcases by ourselves (no help from the personal). Wouldn't have been a problem in a normal hotel but the stairs at this place were really narrow and I didn't trust the railing..
The standards on the rooms vary alot. Some of our friends were lucky with ok rooms, we on the other hand got one of the worst ones. There were large stains of dirt on the floor and in the bed and inside the bedside table we found hair.. We had brought our own sheets etc with us which I recommend if you'll stay here since I wouldn't call the ones in the bed clean.
The bathroom was the worst part. I never dared to shower (!) since it was full of dirt and the toilet (which also had hair on/in it) felt like it never had been cleaned. There was something yellow in it and when we flushed some of it went away, not all of it though. The floor was full of dirt aswell so we didn't like to enter without atleast socks on our feet. There were no towels for showering, only small hand towels and also there was no soap next to the washbasin (my friend had brought her own with her though).
We had one "window" in our room which was a little gap so high that we even couldn't look out without standing on the bed. This made the room pretty dark and made it look even worse.
As I said the standard depends alot of which room you get, some had mold in the bathroom, others had bathrooms looking pretty new and clean.
The two best things on this hotel is the location and the breakfast. You can walk to the most places or take the bus (bus stop just outside the hotel) or, if you prefer, the subway which also is close. The breakfast wasn't great but better than I expected: 1 cup of tea/coffee, 1 croissant, one breakfast bun and some marmalade. You will need to eat again in one hour or two but at least it was fresh and tasted good.
I would never recommend to stay on Derby but if you do, bring your own sheets, towels, soap and some cleanser for the bathroom.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank nereyegidelim
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I will never stay here again! We were required to pay for our stay up-front.... it was fairly cheap and looked okay from the outside. Our room was old, but looked clean. It had a large, modern bathroom that was clean. Upon going to bed I noticed some small bugs near my pillow, I killed them and thought nothing of it.... until my friend pulled her sheets back and screamed. We were HORRIFIED to see a whole lot of tiny insects. They were mainly at the end of the bed but some were also under the pillow. There were bugs in all 3 of our beds. We headed straight down to reception to inform the hotel. The man working there asked us what we wanted him to do, as if we were annoying him, and said he could give us some bug spray. This was obviously not acceptable... we asked if our sheets could be changed and he gave us one single bed sheet each. We complained to another member of our group, who went and spoke to the man at the reception further.... he eventually agreed to move us to another room. It was the worst experience I've ever had in a hotel. They truly didn't care that there seemed to be a bug infestation and were not happy about moving us to another room. The rudeness of staff combined with the filthy bedding made our time in Brussels difficult and uncomfortable.
The only upside is the location but even that's not worth it. Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't choose any rooms here!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Essy K
Reviewed 12 May 2012

What would you do if you have to travel in Brussels on a day like 09th May - The Day of Europe ?
Trying to make a booking, availability is vanishing quickly and the prices are increasing.
Yet, is urgent to arrange a room and this has to stay within budget - but how to do that ?
For a reasonable price, most of hotels are at periphery . For me The Location is important.
This is how I found Hotel Derby - located in a central area at 10 min walking by European Commission and of only few min close by Parc of Cinquentenairie relaxing when walking, visiting but most of all for jogging. There are also lots of shops and few restaurants around. Neighbourhood include also the buildings of embassies.
Transportation: the metro station Merode is at the door step of hotel Derby.
I stayed in the single room 17 very small but comfortable with the minimum necessary: bed, wardrobe, table, chair, TV, telephone in the room. Situated at the third floor. There was an elevator that could fit only two persons, but I prefer to take the stairs.
The bathroom contained shower and toilet separately in two separate rooms. Cleaning was not within standards I refer to furniture and walls dirty.
The only clean things were towels and bed sheets.
The view on the window it was facing an internal yard with depressing aspect. Nevertheless, I found that useful because it was not noisy and I wasn't there on a holiday.
Check-in was possible after 12:00 noon time and check-out at11:00 AM. Cost per night 75 Eur.
Breakfast included in the price of the room, was brought IN the room - each room announcing at reception at what time they want to serve the breakfast. Content of breakfast was more than enough. Additional items may be ordered (omelette, or boiled eggs) at separate price.
Personnel is very helpful and nice.
I read the previous reviews but forced by circumstances I had to book it.
It was worthy for Location and services of personnel.

Room Tip: No air condition.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Etterbeek
Best Western Plus Park Hotel Brussels
#1 of 1 in Woluwe-St-Pierre
Hotel Leopold Brussels
Hotel Leopold Brussels
#5 of 15 in Ixelles

Been to Hotel Derby? Share your experiences!