“Food value for a quick sleep.”

Hotel Frederiksborg
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ganshoren
Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

Don't be fooled by the exterior. The rooms are basic but confy and clean. Service was very friendly but only in French. Ideal place to stay if you just a nice bed to spend the night after a night in Brussels.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 29 October 2012

The hotel is located next to Basilica and just few subway stops from downtown. If you drive by car, don't expect a hotel parking. However you will find on street free parking easily.
The rooms are clean but a bit small (I've got double) and if you are unlucky, a bit noisy from a busy street. But still this is a good low budget option.
The thing that I liked the most was the lovely decorated restaurant at the ground&first floor with great sort of Belgian beers :)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here Aug 2012 in a double room with private bath. The hotel is about 20 mins walking from the Simmons metro stop and while the hotel is nice, the area around the hotel isn't the best. Plenty of towels were provided, plus soap and shampoo (but it's cheap and leaves your hair dry). The room we got was on the 5th floor and while there is a lift, it only goes to the 4th floor and you have to walk the last flight (not a problem unless you have problems with stairs). The room was quiet and relatively fast internet was available in the room. The lift is small and only allows one person plus luggage to fit so don't pack a lot. The reception was kind and helpful; they even printed off our bus tickets for us. The restaurant attached served some wonderful pasta (I ordered the carbonara and my husband had the bolognese) but come with a large appetite as the portions are huge and around 10€. My only complaints is that the shower didn't drain properly so you had a puddle of water about a few cm tall as you showered.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I booked this hotel because it was our first day driving in Europe and it looked easy to drive to and had parking. We quickly realized though that driving in Brussels is actually really easy and there is lots of parking, even near the centre, so I could have booked somewhere else.

The room was simple and clean. It had a nice bathroom with a heated towel rack, but I really don't understand the bathtub. It was a tub with a shower head mounted a foot or so above the tub, with no shower curtain... I guess you have to take a bath or just get the room all wet while trying to shower one handed while holding the shower head? Maybe there is a Belgian trick to it but us Canadians didn't get it :)

The biggest downside was the noise. Its near a very busy intersection that I guess even the locals have difficulty navigating, cause people were honking their horns at all hours of the night. My boyfriend is a heavy sleeper and even he didn't get any sleep.

Its a 10 minute walk to the metro, and then you have to figure out the metro, which we had some trouble with. We didn't realize that trams and metros are different so first we got on the tram which was very confusing.... anyways long story short I wish I had booked a different hotel closer to the centre. Very few people in the area of the hotel spoke English so it was hard to ask for help or directions.

Also note the wifi code is on the keycard, this wasn't explained to us so when we arrived back to the room late at night we were frustrated that we didn't know how to access it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed here as part of a group between 5 rooms. All our rooms were in the annexe across the road from the main hotel, so it was very much like having our own house! Located right next to the basilica, it is easy to find and just a short walk through the park from Simonis métro station (at night we felt it best to walk by the road, which is well-lit). The rooms were all spacious, with a particularly good bathroom for this level of hotel. We had a nice view out of our room's window. The beds were the only slight let-down, as the sheets were a little rough and the mattresses and pillows quite hard, but this didn't detract from the other plusses. The free wifi, although a little unreliable, was a huge bonus.
For the money we paid, this was a tremendous find and I certainly wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank George M
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My room was not very large; for one person it’s ok, but for 2 I think it would be too small. I had a nice bathroom; however some shower curtains would have been very useful. The view of the park and Basilica is rewarding.
Could be much too noisy, due to the heavy traffic on the streets around, but also to groups of “clients” that quite often will abruptly and rudely disturb you at 1.00 or 2.00 in the night. Probably you will not be able to leave the window open overnight. The walls seem to be very thin, as you can hear much more than acceptable from the rooms around.

Could be a solution if your budget is tight.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I was on a tight budget and found this hotel to be perfect. It was better than I was expecting. As I had lived in the Koekelberg neighborhood before, I knew that the location was a bit of a walk from the metro. But had I needed to, the tram and bus were much closer. The room was overall clean, except for the walls, which had dirt all over the old wallpaper. The biggest problem I had was the cleaners- they came to my room early each day (except for the weekend, which I had slept in on, and thus they still arrived too early). Therefore, my room was not cleaned during my stay. But they did leave clean towels outside my door every other day. Also, the wireless cut out several times during my stay. Not a huge problem for most. I think that for the money the room was sufficient.

Pros: price, bathroom, early check-in, location
Cons: steep stairs/small lift, traffic noise

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a true double room if you are staying as a couple. I had two twins pushed toget...