“A beautiful place!”

Ranked #8 of 14 Schaerbeek B&B and Inns
Dublin
“A beautiful place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights as there was a big medical conference in Brussels and all the hotels were full!

i didn't know what to expect, but this is a really beautiful place to stay. The house itself is really cool, with a great mix of modern decor and antique furniture. The hosts were lovely and a fabulous breakfast with freshly squeezed orange juice and home made ciabatta.

I would recommend this to anyone!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank fernga

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

The hosts were excellent, and we thoroughly enjoyed sharing a beer with Jean-Marc even though we didn't arrive until late at night! The room was very clean and comfortable, and ATOB was very accommodating with scheduling and room arrangements. The welcome basket was devoured and the breakfast was spot on. Jean-Marc was knowledgeable and helpful about the city (wish we had spoken to him earlier in fact).

Great value, close(ish, though in a very nice neighbourhood) to the centre of town and clean and comfortable and home-y.

Well done ATOB

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank danieljsoul
sc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

What a great place. Francois and Jean-Marc were so warm and friendly. I injured my knee and they were so accomodating.

They also put a welcoming basket in your room and offer you a choice of a beer to have with them. They also have a refrigerator for the guests.

They serve a wonderful breakfast. Fresh baked bread, assortment of jams, yogurt, cheeses, meats, fresh squeezed orange juice, selection of coffees.

The location is great. It is only a short walk to the train station to downtown Brussels. Plenty of restaurants in their neighborhood.

They treated us like family. Would definitely recommend staying with them.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smokie7
Kilburn, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

After finding all of Brussels hostels booked I stumbled upon "A taste of Belgium" and never looked back.

As a single traveler I hate to stay in hotels as it's so hard to meet other people. Hostels are okay but I find myself only ever talking to other foreigners who don't know anything about the city that they didn't read in a Lonely Planet. I've stayed in B&B's before but never have I had hosts like Jean-Marc and Françoise!

I arrived one evening, greeted by Françoise and the beautiful Olga (Bernese Mountain Dog). I was given a quick tour of the house and taken to my room, which overlooked their beautiful garden from the third floor. The room was spacious, beautifully decorated and best of all came with a welcome basket of Belgian goodies. After sampling a few chocolates I took a shower and headed downstairs where I was greated by Jean-Marc and a smorgasbord of Belgian beers.

After sharing a few beers I really started to get a feel for Brussels. Jean-Marc told me his secrets to discovering this city without the need for guidebooks and maps.

Waking up in A soft bed with birds singing in the garden and the smell of freshly baked bread wafting up the stair, I knew I was in the right place. I was greeted at breakfast table by Jean-Marc and another guest. I couldn't believe the amount of effort that went into preparing breakfast! Fresh baked bread straight out of the oven, sliced meat, cheese, yougurt, fruit, cereals, freshly squeezed orange juice and a selection of espresso coffee, that's to die for.

The late 1800's house is nestled in a quiet street of beautiful green neighbourhood. A 3 minute walk to the main street will get you on a tram to the city centre in under 20 minutes. Or I prefered to stroll down the stunning avenue from the church to the train station where it's only 2 stations from Brussels Central. In short, you can relax in a quiet suburban area and be only minutes from bustling Brussels!

On the Saturday night of my stay while enjoying a couple of beers, Jean-Marc suggested I accompany him on "beer tour" of Brussels. This was simply incredible! I've never felt more like a local. We must have visited five pubs and there wasn't a tourist in sight. My favourite was at the end of a tiny alley that you would never find if you didn't know it was there.

I hope I've described "A Taste of Belgium" well enough to do it justice. I'm already planning my second visit there and I couldn't recommend it highly enough!

Thanks Jean-Marc, Françoise and my four-legged friend Olga! I'll be seeing you soon.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank Jonluke1985
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2010

This was a truly great stay in a local neighborhood of Brussels. Jean-Marc is the nicest man in the world, and his hospitality is second to none. If you are into traveling and enjoying things as locals do, this is the only place to stay.

This B&B is nestled in a quiet neighborhood, though is only a ten minute walk to a major train station and a five minute walk to a tram stop. The place is fairly new and very clean, with very nice decor.

The service was easily the best part about the stay. Jean-Marc is a very smart man who will advise you on everything in Brussels, as well as make you a fantastic breakfast. He left us local beers, as well as maps and guides of the city. And Greta, the Bernese Mountain dog, is like your best friend!

Seriously, can't stress enough how great this was!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2009

Me and my girlfriend stayed here while traveling through Europe, and it was one of the highlights of our trip!

Jean-Marc (the owner) was fabulous, and made our stay there feel extremely welcoming. He's REALLY funny, and tries to make sure your visit to Belgium fun and exciting. Our first night there he was having a get-together with some friends ("real Belgians, you can touch them!" as he put it) which he invited us to participate in. We got to talk American and Belgium politics, and met some of their other family members and friends to trade stories. He speaks fluent English, with accent of course, and always encouraged questions about living in Belgium.

He also has a special fridge full of a wide variety of Belgium beer, and associated beer glasses, as it's very important to always drink it out of the matching beer glass. He encourages guests to try them, so as to "taste" Belgium.

The room was nice ("cute!" as my girlfriend put it), and the bed comfortable. The room was up 4 flights up stairs though, so that might be an issue for some travelers. The rooms are just bedrooms in his house that he rents out, but are all well-done.

The breakfast was delicious, with fresh baked home-made bread, and a wide variety of Belgian spreads. Plus cereal, yogurts, and fruit. There was also many flavors of coffee to chose from.

The bathrooms are shared, but they are nice, and were always clean. The only minor quibble is that the B&B is located out in the suburbs. But there are stores close by, and it's only a short walk to a tram stop that takes you to the city center. We had some trouble finding the place with the directions provided in our confirmation email, so make sure to look it up on Google Maps beforehand.

Overall it was a really good value, and I'd definitely recommend it. If you're looking for something other than a generic hotel to spend the night while you're in Brussels, this is a great choice.

• Liked — Friendly owner, really good bread
  • Disliked — 4 flights of stairs
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schaerbeek
Hotel 322
#3 of 119 in Brussels
Avenue Deschanel B&B
Avenue Deschanel B&B
#1 of 14 in Schaerbeek

Been to A Taste Of Belgium! B&B? Share your experiences!