“Central & cheap hotel”
Review of Aryen Residence

Aryen Residence
Ranked #12 of 14 Schaerbeek B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 December 2011

The location of the hotel is very good. You can get to the city center by tram (10 minute) or by foot (30 minutes).

The breakfast costs 6 euro, and it's basic but ok (because it costs only 6 euro).

The Internet connection is not free but it's cheap (1-2 euro/h as I remember).

The kitchenette doesn't work.

When you leave the hotel you should leave also the key at reception for cleaning …. ???!!

The payment is done at the arrival. There is a general trust problem.

The room could be cleaner (the hotel is new).

I recommend this hotel only because it's cheap (50 euro room/night + 6 breakfast) and in a central location.

In the winter is ok, bun on summer there is a problem I think if the window must be opened. The opposite street is noisy (only if the windows is opened).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank danandrei

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Ok.. I booked this place even after reading the reviews, submitted before mine.
I only needed a place to sleep and shower, my stay wouldn't be longer than 8 hours, so I figured not much could go wrong.
Well, I only paid 48 euro's. And I have to say that even that is too much for this place.
I arrived at the 'hotel' at 23:00, after having walked through a not so pretty part of town (I don't mind bad areas, but if you do, don't go to this place), but very near (less than 5 minutes) North Station.
Upon my arrival the lady behind the front desk was very grumpy, unwelcoming and plain unfriendly and rude. I asked her if she wasn't happy to receive guest at the hotel after which she explained that her shift was over and that she was tired. It was an explanation for her bratty behaviour, but she offered no appologies.. anyway.. 48 euro's, i wasn't expecting much.

My room (201) was located facing a courtyard, not the street, so I didn't have any street noise the other reviewers talk about. I can't really review the size of the room, since I had booked a single room, but I was given a room with 3 beds, so it was large for me. If I had to judge it on having to stay there with 3 people, I would say it's small. The room wasn't that bad. The interior was fairly new, but it was IKEA style flatpack stuff, that was put together properly so everything was wobbly. The bathrooms wasn't cleaned properly many hairs all over.
On the door there is a notice stating not to leave any valuables in the room, as the hotel is not resposible if anything goes missing.
One other reviewer talks about itching all over because of the sheets. Well, I suffered the same fate. I am not sensitive and I have allergies, But I really was itching all over after being in the bed for 5 minutes..

The worst thing about this place to me was the noise. Eventhough I wasn't on the street side, I really wasn't able to sleep. You litterally hear EVERYTHING that goes on in every single other room. Ever key that is turned, ever light switch that is flicked, every cough, every turn.. you get to hear it.

Like I said.. 8 hours .. 48 euro's ... If I had paid 1 cent more, I would have been seriously peeved,.. If I had had to stay there 1 minute longer I would have been seriously peeved.

I can't review the breakfast, as I just left without it..

There are 2 good things at this place:1. the shower had a lot of power and got nice and hot.
2. The hairdryer had a lot of power (I am sure I woke the entire hotel up when I dried my hair at 6:00 am).

Just go somewhere else there are plenty of options in Brussels.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank childonmoon
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This hotel is close to the Gare de Nord and we chose it mainly because of this. It's not so bad, the staff is really friendly and even if the check-in started at 14,00, we got our room earlier. What I mostly appreciated was the staff, it was a very gentle lady who gave us a map and even reccomended where to go and how to get there. The neghborhood is not so dangerous, I felt safe, and I enjoyed the Turkish restaurants around. The room was big enough for two and very clean, but it was very close to the reception and it was a little bit noisy during night. Moreover, the bed was quite unconfortable, but for a one-night stay it worked fine. I reccomend this hotel for a budget trip.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I choose this hotel mainly for its location, close to the Brussels North station, and its price, as I was only looking for a very basic overnight stay before catching a very early train. In this the hotel succeeded very well. The room was very small but more than ok for one person. Bathroom was very clean. But I would like to have a kettle in the room. And there is no refrigerator in the room.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2011

first of all we were noticing the area were the hotel was, seems very unsecure [notices a lot of immigrants, noisy, drunk people, children yelling]. our feeling got stronger since we've saw the the "hotel" door was always closed and activated/opened only from the inside by the person of the reception. Absolutely no place to park in the area, we had to go to another location indicated by the hotel staff, a house garage of some sort, expensive also. i mention here that we went by motorbike [usually can find a small space to rest it overnight] and it was the only city/hotel the we were afraid to live the motorcycle.

the room itself was clean and spacious enough, but turn out to be very very very noisy [a tram line goes like 5m near the window [all the rooms were positioned in that direction]. in top of all that, the pillow were very big and hard, had to sleep on some clothes... and in front of the hotel is a building site that stars working at 7am...

all in all it was a unpleasant experience the hotel that reflected on the city as well. since it wasn't cheap i don't recommend to anybody to use this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Stayed here with some friends for one night since it is situated very near the train station. The room itself was ok (even though the bed was the hardest and most uncomfortable I have ever slept on), it was clean and the facilities are quite new.

The downside is the area where the hotel is situated. We are glad we only stayed there for one night. So the conclusion: If you just need one night to sleep somewhere before taking the train to somewhere it is a ok solution. But if you plan on staying longer in Brussels and want to see the city I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Don’t stay in this hotel. My room was robbed and they took all our cars, my iPad 2 and hidden cash.

We stayed in this hotel, in a horrible part of town for three nights. We usually only carry money with us for the day to avoid having it stolen from pick pocketers around town. We left the hotel at 10 am, to stroll around and when we came back at 6 p.m. the room was neat and clean, but when when we looked for our hidden bag with valuables it was gone. The iPad 2, $200 and credit cards were hidden inside our backpack, and still the person who took it had time to go through our stuff, and find the iPad 2 and cards inside a fake book.
The owner was very hesitant to call the police and made us walk to the police station. When we reached the police station they told us that the police needs to come to the hotel to check if anything looked like it had been broken into. No signs of any broken into doors or windows.
The police was very nice, but now we were left with no debit cards and iPad 2 stolen to continue on our trip. The owner was nice at first and told me that he would contact his insurance to get my iPad 2 refunded. However, when he left his employer would not let us user their phone to call to cancel our cards. He treated us badly and blamed us for leaving things in the room.
We had to check out of our room next day, and I contacted the owner to check if he had contacted his insurance. See below his response:

“I dont understand you you just made check out on Saturday morning,and you want update already today,what do you think i dont have anything else to do ?
I will inform my Insurance agent this week and see what does he say,and then start the procedure,you think that everything will be done in 2-3 days.
Don’t expect anything before couple of months,I dont think so i will call Insurance company and tell them about this and they will pay immediately.
This is not America,by the way in the meantime you can who ever you want,Dont tell me about Police and all this stuff,you can write review whereever
You want.Its not me who is going to pay for your damage,we are not even sure that you lost that in the room,or somewere else.
Pls be patient and wait,I will do whatever is possible to do but there is no gurantee about your refund.

Best Rgds”

The bed made us scratch every night, and even the police told us that this is not the worst part of town. On the way to the train station my husband and I almost got mugged. The room was clean, but no AC, and the bed as I said made us scratch.
We are shocked at how the owner seems to be dealing with the problem without any customer service, as he clearly does not seem to like “Americans”.
I will update my review to see if we were reimbursed for our loss while on this hotel.

Room Tip: Don’t stay in this hotel. My room was robbed!