“Worse still is not seen in Europe” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Albert

Hotel Albert
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Schaerbeek
Brussels
“Worse still is not seen in Europe”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

The room is small, dilapidated walls, musty odor, high humidity in the bathroom, does not operate the ventilation system, a narrow spiral staircase. Low noise isolation from its neighbors through the wall. WiFi in the room for the money! The old bed sheets (all in spool). In the bathroom all fall off: tile, faucet, handle, curtain. The remote control to the TV is tied cable to the wall.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

The hotel is not a clean hotel,the maids do not clean the bathrooms or change the sheets, they just come in and leave clean towels.They do not clean the bathroom floors or hoover the room.There was a power failure for about 3 mins and i had to go the the reception to tell them to come and switch the power in my room on
They only good thing about this hotel is that the staff are friendly.
Its a good location to central brussels by bus, tram or metro

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Travellers are raving about these Schaerbeek hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

This hotel is not as bad as other people have said.
Its a 15 minute walk into town - its clean and for 40 euros a night what more can you want.
The neighbourhood is safe - I was eating kebabs at 01.00 am.
The staff were not unfriendly - they speak good English and answer every question you ask them.
Would stay here again - if you want the Sheraton - go pay the price.

Room Tip: I was in the residence - very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank steve2705
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

As mentioned by others, the staircase is narrow. The room was not big, but big enough for me. Important was: it was clean, and I had a good sleep on the bed.
Breakfast was simpel but good.
The hotel is at walking distance (10 minutes) from the Nord Station.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Good hotel for this price. Location is quite good, 5 min walk from Garde De Nord. Near a hotel, there is a tram which could take you to the city center. About hotel itself, the stairs are very narrow, the lift doesn't reach the highest level. a bath in the bathroom was located in the corner where the roof goes down so I had to take a shower sittng.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Brazil
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

I wouldn't stay here again. The staff is not friendly, the location is terrible and the rooms are dirty...I can say that it was the worst 2* I have ever stayed

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

I rarely write really negative reviews but I feel compelled to in this instance....

I shudder to even think about this place so it's difficult to bring myself to write this review. I'll try to be as objective as I can but the unbearable odor in the annex which houses rooms 1-4 at the rear on the ground floor of the "Residence" lingers vividly in my mind and on my belongings to the extent that everything is for the laundry, even clean clothes I didn't wear! The stench was so bad I couldn't wait to get home and delouse! I wish I could exorcise my memory of the experience as easily!

These are the sub-standard rooms with no windows recently referred to by a previous reviewer but thankfully I wasn't savaged by beg-bugs, although I did notice a brand-new mattress, which will be scant comfort or protection against future infestation as it sits on a filthy base with a fabric headboard. The carpets are ingrained with years of dirt, highly unpleasant to walk on in bare feet.

The Albert Residence accommodates overflow from the Albert Hotel two doors down and I suspect rooms 1-4 were added by the owners to capitalize on demand but they really should re-invest a little to refurbish these rooms completely or shut them down as it is probably these rooms that are ruining the hotel's reputation in my opinion.

They must have better quality rooms because other guests seemed perfectly happy and the hotel was completely full so there was no prospect of changing my room despite my request. Nor could I afford any available alternatives after being so penny-wise, pound foolish paying upfront for the Albert.

The standard rate for a single room is €70pn. I paid €55 but when you factor in €7.50 for breakfast and a whopping €15 for daily internet, neither of which I availed of as I couldn't bear to spend the time in the hotel, it's not really that much of a bargain compared to high-quality hotels in Brussels for around €100pn including free wifi. I wont make that mistake again. €100 is the minimum I'll budget for in Brussels in future.

I have been twice foolish though. I stayed here before 14 years ago when the my original hotel double booked and they accommodated us here overnight. We only spent a couple of hours there after a very late night out but my wife and I have since regarded it as the worst room we've ever stayed in. It has worsened with age. The Albert Hotel, or at least the Residence, bears little resemblance to it's website so I simply didn't recognize it until I arrived.

If there are any redeeming qualities, housekeeping do their best daily, the girls on reception were quite helpful with public transport advice and the location is good so I could avoid taxis completely by using the metro, tram and buses to various suburbs or walking into town.

The city center lies beyond the church at the top of the road. It s pleasant 20 minute walk turning left out of the hotel towards Botanique Metro avoiding the seedy red-light area in the opposite direction towards the North Station. Schaarbeek is not the best address but it ain't all bad either!

Brussels is brilliant but I cannot recommend the Albert. The first time I stayed here all those years ago, I said the same, in vain..... I'll never stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first and avoid rooms 1-4 in the residence or better still just stay somewhere...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schaerbeek
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,595 reviews
Floris Ustel Midi
Floris Ustel Midi
#2 of 6 in Anderlecht

Been to Hotel Albert? Share your experiences!