“Good pub grub”

The Duke at Bratton
Ranked #8 of 36 Restaurants in Westbury
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Steppingley
“Good pub grub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Pleasant landlady and staff. Jolly good lunch of fish & chips. Comfortable pub atmosphere but an old and crumbling lavatory.

Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Fabulous evening was had by all the group who attended. Food was cooked to everyones individual taste. Service was excellent but not overpowering. Landlord and Landlady were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble. Would recommend to anyone visiting the area who likes wonderful down to earth home cooked food in a very pleasant setting with a great atmosphere.

Frome, United Kingdom
“Excellent take away fish & chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We've eaten a few times in the duke and never had a bad meal, but decided to try the take away fish & chips. Very nice they were too, beautiful crispy non greasy batter, lovely chips. Reasonable price too. Will be buying again and again.

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Worst meal I've had in a long time!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

My friends booked a table for eight of us to eat at The Duke of Bratton - having never been there before I was really looking forward to it.

The good points where that the pub itself is very pretty, lovely landlord and a very friendly golden retiver pub dog.

The bad points where that we were left waiting at the bar for what seemed like an eternity before the barmaid acknoledged our presence.

The menu seemed okay - quite basic pub grub, but at good prices.

Ordered a prawn cocktail starter and sirloin steak with stilton sauce the waitress came over to take our order, but got confused very easily, starters took a good 20 minutes to come out, it was fine - but that's it, just a very basic prawn cocktail. When the waitress's came back to clear our plates she was just taking one at a time which seemed very unprofessional - surely she could carry more than one? The main course was appauling, dry chips, greasy mushrooms and a steak which was medium when I cleary stated I wanted it RARE. Sent it back. Salad that my mum & friend & dad ordered was a few mixed leaved with cucumber, wasn't offered any dressing, or butter for their jacket potatoes, had to ask the very ditzy waitress who seemed confused at the request of salad dressing & butter. Food was crap. Steak was tasteless and cheap. The stilton sauce was appaulingly bad too!

I was very dissapointed with my meal and felt very bregrudging having to pay £41 for our food. (My partner had a mixed grill which he said was pretty crap)

The pub has a lovely ambience and has the potential to be SO MUCH better - the lovely landlord who did apologise for my steak coming our medium, (but didn't offer us any money off for the overall experience!) They need to train their waitress's better - and get rid of the chef!

2 Thank Megan M
Bratton
“Best fish and chips I've ever had ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

So me and my friend live in Bratton and thought we would
Go try the fish and chips from the local pub as you can take it away which is brilliant! Got home and the fish was massive looked amazing the portion size was just spot on maybe abit to much but you can never complain about that! You pay good money for a decent portion! The batter wasn't oily it was so Crispy and just perfect! So much better than what you would get in a fish and chip shop. Defiantly would recommend people to come down and try it!