“Westbury....More like Wowsbury!!”

Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Westbury
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Visited Westbury for the first time in June and what a sheer delight it was!!! To be honest I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised :) I arrived in Westbury a little lost but met a lovely young girl called Megan at the local community centre. She kindly offered to help and gave me a wonderful tour of Westbury in her white Mini. The tour began by driving to the town centre which reminded me of a typical West Country shopping street. The centre included a green grocers, chemist, bakery and my favourite shop called "Kevin's For the Big and Tall Man" being a bigger man myself I was very much intrigued by what they had to offer. We then took a drive around the local trading estate and I got to see a local landmark called Club Ice. This is a well known hangout for the young people of Westbury and a must for anyone who likes to pull some shapes on a Saturday night. Driving through Westbury you will notice many houses with solar panels; too many people they can be seen as an eyesore but in my opinion they just make Westbury look that ever more beautiful! Megan finally took me up to see the White Horse, and what a sight that is! It can been seen throughout the town and just draws you in. Once you arrive at the Horse you are greeted by the local Ice Cream man who has a wide range of iced confectionary. Sheep and goats graze the fields around the Horse which add to the spectacle! Megan then took me to the horse and gave me a detailed history of its origins and her local knowledge of the town. Overall Westbury is a beautiful town and the horse is a must see. A tour by Megan is a must!! Her local knowledge and history is exceptional and she is a credit to Westbury! To top it all off she is also very pleasing onthe eye ;)

5  Thank Nickbish
There are newer reviews for Westbury White Horse

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Have always gone up on the hills since a child. There is plenty of parking and a couple hundred feet walk to the chalk horse. There is a viewing point to the left, that has points of interest and distances to landmarks and points of interest. Currently there are sheep roaming so you have to watch your footing ! In the busy summer months there is quite often a ice cream van in the car park, but note there are no toilet facilities on the hill.
Before or after your visit, it is worth driving on the Bratton road, which runs at the foot of the white horse, there is a viewing area and car park, with information on the hill fort.

1  Thank MRELECTRASCAPE
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We were in the area so decided to pay a quick visit. The White Horse is fantastic and you can get a really clear view from close up. We had a quick walk around and also visited the hill fort which is just behind the white horse. It can be quite grubby with a lot of ship droppings, plenty of nettles and much of the area was really wet when we visited so wear suitable clothing! The views are wonderful and you can pass plenty of time here on a nice day. There is quite a large free car park close by so access is easy.

1  Thank GAlsager
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were lucky enough to be in sunshine with a great view of the iron-age fort which is huge. We watched the rain over Bradford-on-Avon on the other side of the valley. Weird!

1  Thank TerrificTutor_12
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed with Helle and David the last weekend in March. It was a much needed break and we felt cosy and at home straight away.

The Old Rectory is a lovely reflection of both Helle and David and we genuinely felt they both wished us to enjoy their beautiful home, offering us cake on the lawn and some downtime in the sunny sitting room. The gardens were just starting to come to life and our dog and Teddy the Border Terrier become good pals for the 48 hours we were there, both enjoying the space and having a bark at the walkers and horses who passed by the gate.

The beds were really comfortable and they had thought of lots of small things to help make the stay comfortable i.e. homemade flapjacks in the room to have with a cup of tea and a supply of dog biscuits. You can also bring your own food/drink as David and Helle have a guest fridge where they are happy to store items during your stay.

There are some good local walks which are interesting and varied for such a small area. Take a wander through church yards, a small deer park and walk the ridgeway along to one of Wiltshire’s famous white horses at Westbury. It was great to do this pretty much from Helle and David’s doorstep. I would really recommend a look at the small church next to the Old Rectory.

There is a good local pub for food in the evening and snacks during the day. But if you are planning to ditch the car and walk to the pub, beware, the road is pretty dangerous.

After a day of walking, a good night’s rest you can be sure that there is a great brekkie waiting for you the next morning. There were AMAZING organic eggs, bacon etc. lovely local bread, so much so we hunted them down to take back home ourselves. A real effort is made to stick to the organic ethos.

There is another local B&B but I really recommend a stay with Helle and David. They are kind and gracious hosts and really went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. They are both very interesting people who, when you chat to them, stay in touch and have an ongoing relationship with a number of their guests. We really enjoyed our break.

1  Thank chacakmackalattie