“Stay away from squires restaurant!”

Wild Coast Sun Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Port Edward
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I visited the wild coast sun with my family. We spent the day there and had a wonderful time. We had dinner at squires restaurant. My father found a hair in his meal.
He mentioned this to the waiter who denied it was a hair and my father removed the portion of food and continued eating before finding another hair. We spoke to the manager who was defensive, rude and argumentative. He continued arguing even after we paid and left. He made us feel belittled and embarrassed. He refused to acknowledge our concerns. My father was very upset and so were we for his sake. He has a heart condition and the incident was very stressful. It was clear that the manager and staff do not care about the customers! Please avoid this restaurant. We alerted the managers of wild coast sun who agreed to have a meeting with the manager and nothing else. No letter of apology, nothing!

Very disappointing!

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank indiansaffa
Gary P, Manager at Wild Coast Sun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Indiansaffa

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and please accept our apologies for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced during your recent visit to the Wild Coast Sun. We appreciate hearing about any problems as this gives us the opportunity to try and resolve them.

Your comments have being passed onto Squires ,please se there response below.

The guest complained to Marvin at the start of their meal about a hair in his meal, he accepted that the fact that it was not a hair which Marvin explained it was from the baby corn. Only once they all finished their meal did the lady complain again and asked for the a discount after I took the “hair” to the kitchen and confirmed it to be from the baby corn and tried explaining it to them. I did discuss this Chris from F&B.

Regards

Gary Pinchen

There are newer reviews for Wild Coast Sun Hotel

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Thought we would take the kids for a fun afternoon as it was raining. What a disappointing experience. The cinema has not been working for months apparently, there's only one restaurant to sit in and there is no security in the children's arcade, to the point where we found drugs on one of the seats. We left soon after that. Felt we could not let the children out of our sights and will not go back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Debbie L

Dear Debbie L

The cinema unfortunately is awaiting a new system that comes from overseas,and i know it has being out of order for a while, once recieved we will be able to offer a better standard of movies and more update.

In regard to the drugs i do beleive our security manager has being in contact with you over this incident.We do not condone any use of drugs on our property and if the perperrators are apprenhended they will face severe action from he resort.

Regards

Gary Pinchen

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel in January 2014 and it was a very enjoyable stay for three nights. The rooms have been renovated and are modern and comfortable with a pleasant bathroom. The surrounding gardens and sea are gorgeous and the pool area a great place to spend the day. If you're into theme parks there is a water world type place around the corner with a discount for hotel guests with enough slides to make one giddy with excitement (I'm not a theme park person so it did not do much for me). The only downside was the restaurant which was open for dinner, it was buffet which did not look to appetising. The other choice was to go to the arcade where there are other fast food places and a seafood restaurant. Given that the hotel was not busy I was not inclined to eat at the restaurant where the waiters looked half asleep, I decided on room service which was tasty, a toasted sandwich in bed and a pecan pie for desert. Very yum. There is a fridge for you to keep some drinks cool and tea making facilities. Overall given a room rate of just over R2,000 a night, I would have preferred more choice in the food department, but all in all a nice place to stay, but I wouldn't for more than 3 nights. One last thing, the pool towel lady is great fun, you will get a happy new year smile and a high five before been handed your towels for a lazy day at the pool!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I went to the wild coast sun for a work conference, I had a beautiful room with a lovely bathroom garden facing with monkeys running around outside.
The meals were very very nice and great conference facilities.
The water park was great fun, I did not use the casino.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The Wild Coast Sun has transformed itself from being primarily a casino establishment (many years ago) to a more generally appealing hotel in the old Southern Sun style. It was quite full for out of season, even allowing for various business functions.

We were pleased to be placed in a spacious family room with a TV lounge on the ground floor.

The service was generally good but ranged from excellent (waitress) to borderline insolent (dining room serving staff) in two isolated cases. Our beds were turned down every night by housekeeping and not just on arrival night, as usually happens to us.

We had occasion to use the hotel's prompt service line twice and, on both occasions, assistance arrived in under 15 minutes. We would have been more impressed if the second callout hadn't been to fix the first callout's incomplete repair but the response time cannot be faulted.

My favourite part was the long, open beach. The hotel discourages guests from walking alone on the beach and offers daily guided walks to the caves, some 4km from the hotel. I tagged along on one of these and found the guide very knowledgeable and friendly. There is quite a lot to see on the beach, not all of it in plain view.

On one walk, I found myself in the company of a security guard. The previous guide told me this precaution is partly to prevent crime but also to prevent guests from making off with fossils. I found this difficult to believe until I came across a rock on the beach with a fossilised clam.

The water park is a relatively new addition. I only took the trouble to explore on my last day and regretted not having put a day aside for the place. It is more extensive than it appears from a distance and more sheltered than the beach.

I have swum in the sea there on a previous visit but would advise caution. The beach has a steep slope in places and an uneven sea bed near the shore.

Being on a fitness kick, I used the gym mostly during the heat of the day. It is relatively sparsely equipped but has a bit more than just the basics. I always had the place to myself and was surprised that there was no supervision the whole time I was there.

The main swimming pool is a horizon pool about 30 m across. Having a horizon pool doesn't really work when the staff put sun loungers across the edge.

I am not a gambler but my wife is so I went into the casino a few times. It is quite open, unlike some of the casinos in urban areas where players are packed in like battery chickens.

As a final comment, I would mention that scheduled flights from Johannesburg to Margate, about 35 km from the hotel, have resumed lately. For me, it is far preferable to fly to Margate and get a shuttle (not provided by the hotel) than to fly cattle class to King Shaka Airport on the other side of Durban.
Rated the hotel slightly down on location. Its location, being on a beach, is excellent but its location in respect of being easy to get to is not so good

Room Tip: If sea-facing, the top floors have a better view. If not, go for the ground floor (pool deck level...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Wow, our first time booked in this Hotel was awesome. We loved it every step of the way. The rooms are so spacious and comfortable. I'm so looking forward to my next stay there in October. Well done to all the friendly staff. Keep it up!!

Room Tip: I must add, the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2014

In my personal opinion this is not really what I was looking for in a hotel on the WIld Coast. As with Sun City, this hotel is gharish in looks and style. On the other hand, the rooms were good but the service left a lot to be desired.

When checking in, the staff seemed completely disintenerested.

Overall though, you go to Wild Coast Sun for a reason, if that's to gamble and play golf then its the place for you. If you want the scenery and coast, there are probably cheaper, better options.

Room Tip: Confirm with staff if fitness center is open, hours are 7am-7pm but got there and it had already bee...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
#4 of 15 in Port Edward
Beach Motel
Beach Motel
#1 of 5 in Ramsgate

Been to Wild Coast Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!