“Tiny Eton Mess”

The Crown Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Restaurants in Anstey
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Leicestershire
“Tiny Eton Mess”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Here we go again! A facelift and new owners. The place looks lovely with some nice touches on the decor. I was a little disappointed to be honest. Although it's lovely to see The Crown alive and busy again, it was a bit too noisy with loud music making conversation difficult. I fully realise that makes me sound really old!
The menu is interesting with a good choice of dishes. I had the mackerel and horseradish pate which was very tasty but a little too smooth and over processed but that's my personal taste. I had the trio of pork which was just ok. It was disappointing that there were no pea and pancetta croquettes with it but I have to say that the bacon jam which replaced them was knockout!
However the dessert was poor value...I had eton mess. It tasted nice but the portion size was tiny. No way worth the £5 they charged for it. Service pleasant and friendly but a little slow at times
I think this place has the potential to be great again but it's not quite there yet

• Visited May 2014

Leicestershire, England
“Fabulous Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just like to say how pleased we were with our Sunday dinner at The Crown. My daughter and I and two children chose from the set menu which was absolutely beautiful. Vegetables and meat all cooked to a very high standard. Well done and good luck for your new venture.

1 Thank suzie081
AmyScott-Harper, Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for such a lovely review. Your kind words mean a lot!
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Bad chicken burger! Like something from a burger van!!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Decor is very nice and staff friendly.
We ordered 2 chicken and sun dried tomato burgers. They sounded lovely.
The burgers arrived and I had to ask our waitress if they were chicken burgers when she told me they were I was very shocked!
The burgers looked like something you would have got from a burger van on football match day for £2 or a pack of 10 from Iceland for £1!
They looked like they had been fried to the last limits of their lives. The chips were good and salad fine (but you can't go much wrong with this).
The burgers were tasteless and dry! We also ordered some onion rings to accompany the burgers. They arrived and we ended up with 5 onion rings in a bowl for £2.50! Very expensive!!
Overall the staff were friendly but the meal wasn't great....

AmyScott-Harper, Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback whether it is positive or not as it gives us something to work from and improve. We have taken your comments on board and will be withdrawing the Chicken Burgers from our Menu when we make the seasonal changeover soon.

They are however high quality burgers made from pure chicken breast with sun dried tomatoes and basil so I am disappointed to hear you were unsatisfied by them. The Onion Rings are handmade with fresh cider batter and we feel that a portion of 5 large rings is satisfactory for £2.50.

I am disappointed that overall you were unsatisfied with your visit and hope you return and give us another shot because as you can see, our food is being met with lots of praise and encouragement so hopefully 2nd time around you will leave satisfied and happy too.

Kind regards
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Had a fantastic Sunday lunch today. Meat cooked just right. Veggies very nice and cauliflower cheese amazing. Would recommend highly.

1 Thank murf28
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will definitely be back to try the Tapas!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Myself and my husband popped in here tonight for something to eat and straight away we were bowled over by how buzzing the pub was. Great atmosphere and lovely and busy. We ordered and were swiftly served our delicious meals. The Bradgate Park Venison is a must try dish! I also was able to enjoy ny favourite Aspalls Cider on draught which only added to the experience. All of the staff we came across were very pleasant and friendly and were doing a great job. Our bill was very reasonable too. We cant wait to come and sample the tapas menu one day and also more of tbe desserts. Definitely worth a visit and we shall tell all of our friends to do the same! Thanks all

1 Thank kate-g76