We had enjoyed dinner at The Bay last year, so had a good idea of what to expect this year, and we were not disappointed. We had the large suite on the first floor with views over the swimming pool and sea - masses of space and a large terrace/balcony to relax on after a tough day at the beach and sightseeing. We have a clear preference for this type of boutique hotel over the resort type, with a relaxed, more laid-back atmosphere, and you get this in spades at the Bay.
Our suite was very comfortable with efficient A/C and a large whirlpool bath as well as a shower and a dressing area. The only noise to wake you might be the many different types of birds competing for the best dawn chorus! Oh, and the semi-open Reception area has a number of resident martins flying around and putting up with us guests!
We made the most of the bar (good cocktails) and enjoyed the food, though felt that the a la carte menu should have more choice. However, there were daily specials that helped to ring the changes, and very good they were too.
The staff were, in the main, friendly giving the impression that nothing was too much trouble, and made us feel very welcome. Fred and Aurelie, who run the establishment, have done wonders in the 4 years they've been there, turning around a run-down hotel into a very acceptable place to relax and enjoy. Both have excellent hotel and F&B credentials and deserve to be very successful in their efforts, especially as they probably have a tight budget to work with. I would love to give them 5 stars, but they would be the first to tell you that there is still work to be done. Time and their enthusiasm will iron out the minor wrinkles.
We will be back and will be happy to recommend The Bay! Bonne chance, Fred et Aurelie!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the delights of a beachfront holiday and discover the mauritian rhythm of life. Situated on the west coast, famous for its romantic sunsets and all-year round sunshine. The ambient harmony is ideal for those in search of authenticity & conviviality and the delicate & friendly welcome + the personalised service will make you feel at home. Our perfect location will give you access to a large choice of activities and renowned mauritian cultural sites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Les Sirandanes Riviere Noire
- The Bay Mauritius/Riviere Noire