“I plan to return again next year!”
Review of Hotel BellBird

and 1 more site!
Hotel BellBird
San Francisco, CA
“I plan to return again next year!”
Reviewed 7 December 2011

During my recent visit to Monteverde, I stayed three nights at Hotel Bellbird. It is located a short walk from the Children's Rainforest and a 5-minute taxi ride to the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve. I agree with all the reviews posted here. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and offered at a very good price. The price includes WIFI and a delicious breakfast with coffee, toast, pancakes, pineapple and papaya. Alexis, the owner, was very helpful. I plan to return to Hotel Bellbird again next year!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank terry222

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This was the first hostel experience for my daughters (14 and 16) and was such a great introduction! Alex, the owner, was friendly and well-informed about the area attractions. He personally called the horseback riding stable and the zipline tours to make sure we had solid directions and obtain any necessary details about cost and attire. Alex was accommodating about breakfast time (we wanted to work around the local yoga studio class times). When we expressed interest in his child's school he helped us get there and showed us around. Plus he played ping pong with the kids! Hotel Bellbird is in walking distance of all the local restaurants and artist galleries plus Rio Shanti yoga studio. I will stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kristin M
France
Reviewed 11 August 2011

A hotel a little out of the town (better to have a car, ut is more than 1/2 hour walk away from the entrace of the park).
Very clean rooms, a excellent service, fresh breakfasts ... and very reasonnable prices (15$/night with a private bathroom and breakfast included) !
There is a comfortable sitting room where you can read and meet people, with a beautiful view.
Alexis, the owner, is very nice and helpful.
We really loved that place.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LiliRod
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I stayed at the Bell Bird for a week while attending the CPI school next door. The room wasn't huge but it had everything I needed and was clean. The free wi fi was a bonus. There's a nice communal room and the breakfasts were varied and good. Really good value and Alex, the owner, was really helpful and friendly. It's located outside of Santa Elena but walkable (or cheap taxi) into town. It's nearer to Monterverde itself which is nice and quiet and has its own forest reserve, gift shops and cafe.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank JT112010
UK
Reviewed 30 August 2010

The hotel has relatively small rooms, which have solid wooden walls. They can look a little dark but then we were only sleeping there anyway.

There is free table tennis in the balcony area, and free internet access on the PC.

The owner, Alex, was incredibly helpful, even phoning our next hotel to make sure they had made a reservation for us.

We stayed at Bell Bird for 2 nights so that we could visit the Biological Park nearby. It's about a 40 minute walk to the main park but you can get a taxi for a dollar or two.

We ate at Johnny's (Italian restaurant) which is a 5 minute walk west along the main road. You'll need a torch to walk there and back as the road is dark and quite busy.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Garner, NC
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I did a homestay with Alexis and his wife, Cecilia, and their two adorable children. Although I can't comment on the accomodations of the hostel next door to their home, I can attest that these are wonderful people, extremely accomodating, and Cecilia is a great cook! I traveled with my 14yo daughter, and we took Spanish classes at CPI next door. I can't wait to go back and take my husband and other daughter. I will definitely look into staying at the Bell Bird as a family, and Monteverde was one of the most awesome places I can ever imagine going!

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Garnermom
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed 20 February 2009

The owner was fantastic. I had a problem with my phone and he was very accommodating, letting me use his computer and phone even when he wasn't in the office. Not all of the rooms had bathrooms and showers, but it wasn't a problem. I never had to wait to use the bathroom or shower. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The hotel is right off the main road and a minute or two from town. I believe we paid about $20 US for the rooms. It is an awesome deal and I will stay there again when I go back.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends