“Place to Stay in Monteverde”
Review of TreeTop House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monteverde
TreeTop House
Ranked #23 of 41 Monteverde B&B and Inns
FORT WORTH
“Place to Stay in Monteverde”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Especially for large families w/children, I would highly recommend the TreeTop house in MonteVerde. It used to be an art store so it has many rooms on many levels that connect through stairs on the outside. There are great views from the 3 levels and the house is very unique. The children loved playing outside and you can actually hear a stream from the house. There's a neat porch swing and hammock this kids played on for hours. For the adults, we liked sitting, drinking and talking during dusk and watching the clouds roll in. The view is stunning and rainstorms are just like what you hear in those CD's for sale. A couple recommendations on activities. Ziplining was the kid's favorite activity. If you are going to Manual Antonio I might save the jungle tours for there because Monteverde is so large it's more difficult to see things (In Manuel Antonio we save 2 types of monkeys, a snake, deer, sloths, etc, etc, etc.) We did go on the night hike which was super fun. We had a massage by Karen (from America) and she has a room right by the coop. She's extremely good and very reasonable. The price for the TreeTop house is very reasonable for the value and experience you get staying here. Pura Vida.

Room Tip: We had pretty much the entire house. If you are a light sleeper I would stay at the top but I liked...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenwalsh7

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Southlake, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2012

This house is all about the view. I would call it a million-dollar view, but I’m guessing there are a fair amount of facilities with good views in Monteverde. Nonetheless, the view from the 2nd floor balcony is what sells this house – it overlooks a small valley. The house is very eclectic, and my extended family of 11 had a great time there. We hung out on the balcony a lot.

It was very convenient to all the activities in Santa Elana, and especially close to the major parks.

I would highly recommend this house.

In the interest of thoroughness, I will note a few shortcomings, none of which would dissuade me from staying here.

Only wood planks separate one floor from the next, so you can hear folks above walking around quite loudly. We were with family, so it wasn’t a big deal, but if strangers were up late on the floor above, it would be annoying. Also, there were minor annoyances like the sink drain kept coming loose and water would pour onto the bathroom floor. And the parking is very tight and it is difficult to turn around to drive back out … especially if there are multiple vehicles. We did not see any monkeys during our 3-day stay there, and my understanding is it is a roll of the dice whether any will come around. The stools on the balcony were rather uncomfortable.

Despite these minor issues, we had a total blast here and I would return. Also, I will note there were surprisingly few mosquitos (no screens on the windows) and I didn’t even bother to spray. We did find 1 small scorpion (something to be careful of in ANY facility, I am sure).

Room Tip: 2nd floor w/ the large balcony is THE place to be!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MrBoingo
NY
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I traveled with my brother and mother to Costa Rica in January 2012 and we loved our stay at the Tree Top House! The place was clean and Sabine was very friendly. She gave us many pamphlets on what to do around Monteverde. In addition, it was conveniently located a short distance away from the town and near touristic places. Each tour picked us up from the Tree Top’s location which made travel easy. The view was spectacular and the atmosphere was relaxing and peaceful (quite). It did get a bit chilly so make sure to ask for extra blankets if you do go!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KumruSusel
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Our two nights at the Tree Top House were great, the location just out of the chaotic town centre was perfect. There are several nice restaurants within a 10 minute walk. Our host Guy and Sabine were welcoming and Guy was instrumental in helping us plan our days.
We enjoyed the horseback sunset tour (Smiling Horses) very much (skip the waterfall nice but not amazing). I would recommend Guy hand out maps to the ranch as we got lost. We also had a good tour of the Reserve Biologica with our guide Melvin. Guy also arranged for us to do the Selvatura Hanging Bridges tour, they picked us up at the Tree Top House as we would never have found the place. Note the roads in and around Monte Verde are poor SUV's are a must. The hanging bridges tour was just a walk in the jungle...no guides so it was rather dull and not worth the $$. One suggestion - is that on arrival we were to call Sabine so they would meet us in the town centre. However, every pay phone we tried was broken. We asked at the tourist info centre why the phones wouldn't take coin..they said you needed a calling card. Which was for sale across the street....the info centre then sent us to a place that didn't sell the cards...more wandering around..... we finally found a pharmacy that sold the cards. $10 US. Which we then found out was for international calls not local. We ended up asking a taxi driver if we could use his phone, he was most obliging. All to say some advanced warning of the phone issue would be made for a less stressful start, to our Monte Verde tour..not what we needed after 3 hours of hellish roads. Having said that I I would highly recommend Tree Top to you all. thx to Guy and Sabine.

Room Tip: We were in bottom room, which didn't offer a balcony but it was just fine. It is quite windy up...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Literally in a tree. This place is amazing. The pictures don't do it justice. Guy and Sabine are wonderful hosts and take their advice on where to go and what to see. They booked us the best trips, and told us the best way to see them. Their guide recommendation for the cloud rainforest was amazing he was so much fun and so much better than the guide I had had in the past. We loved this home and cherished every minute we spent there. We played card games all night while listening to animals outside. The sunset is phenomenal from the kitchen. The beds are comfortable, the hot water plentiful and all you need is a group of good friends and everything else is complete. Can not wait to go back.

Room Tip: Bring Games.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pddle4life
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I do think the value is excellent. You are given a clean place with an over abundance of beds. Sabine and Guy are very nice owners/mangers and provided a great number of pamphlets to enhance our stay. They even gave us some of the coffee they cultivated. The views are very nice and you feel secluded, being the last house on the road. The bathrooms are nice and are in good working order. The decor is awesome.

Nevertheless, there are more campy aspects to the place. The beds were OK and a little short (I am 6 foot and I think that was the length of the beds). The showers are tricky - you need to adjust the water pressure to get hot water. Even knowing how to adjust the temperature through water pressure, the showers are still very inconsistent (hot one second and cold the next). You also hear everyone else in the house walking around. However, I was still pleased with the accommodations given the price we paid.

What drove me nuts was that my whole group couldn't sleep. The winds were out of control. Monteverde itself is a windy place as it is located at the top of a mountain. However, the house happens to be located in one the windiest sections of the mountain. The house literally shook at times. Although, our guide through the cloud forest mentioned that it was a particularly windy week, I would be aware that you may not sleep very well.

Room Tip: The further down in the house you go, the better the winds will be.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MrBurro
Harrison, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We had a great stay in a great place. The spot is perfect, quiet and tranquil. We stayed with another couple and shared the top apartment. The house was spacious and we had plenty of room not to get in each others way. Sabine was a great host and runs a nice operation. The house is set back far enough off the road to feel private but, close enough to feel like your still close to town. I would recommend this for anyone looking for more privacy then a hotel, good value for the money.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family