“Nice place - Great Breakfast”

Manakin Lodge Monteverde
Ranked #19 of 42 Monteverde B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Nice place to stay, although the rooms were quite spartan. They had the best breakfast of any place we stayed in Costa Rica. Only about 10 minutes to the cloud forest and in town so walking distance to all restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 February 2012

A great stay is all about great people. From the moment I arrived until the day I left the owners were very helpful. I am a mature woman travelling alone and I speak very little Spanish and booking shuttles, trips etc can be a problem. They were upfront and honest.
The room was larger attached en-suite was bigger than I was expecting, best of all the water was hot and the whole room was really clean. The breakfast was excellent - great scrambled eggs, hey they were $1 extra which I would pay in a heartbeat rather than that churned up mush one gets at 4* hotels. It is not a luxury hotel, it is a budget hotel but well worth every penny - I would definitely stay again.
Johnny, the son of the owner is a guide and has a growing tour company business. I took two of his tours. Firstly a walking tour through the cloud forest. His knowledge was excellent, we went at my pace (not his) there was no stress, he was charming and a joy to be with. The next was a night tour, amazing, wonderful, terrific - everything comes out at night, its like a whole other world, well worth it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Charlotte H
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed in Manakin Lodge for 2 nights in superior room. Room was very clean with a nice porch and spacious. Originally we booked a standard room, but once we saw the superior one with the view and porch, we upgraded. Place is well situated especially when you have a car. Family is friendly and willing to help you.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank TimVerw
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I just got back from the Manakin Lodge. For the price you can't beat it. Very clean, good breakfast included, very nice owners. I've stayed there at least 4 times over the part 3 years, and always had a pleasant stay. One guy complained about the wind, not much they can do about that, it's the lower part of a cloud forest. Cloud forest is created by high winds. Once you get into the forest above with very tall dense trees you don't notice the wind, but in town it can be windy. Dogs and chickens are a part of Central American travel, always travel with earplugs.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nickvolando
Reviewed 11 February 2012

The hotel is administrate by a family and everyone was nice and helpful. We were there on january 26th 2012 and it was very windy. It seems that at the top of the mountain it's often like this at night and in the morning. Its also cold at night and a warm sweater is good to have. The hotel is very cleen and the breakfast included was good. There were a choice between continental or typical breakfast. The only problem was the water in the shower: just a little bit warm but other guest had warm water!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michel B
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This is a quaint nice place. ALL the staff are so nice and friendly.

But Don't book the night tour with them!! I was booked in with a girl and he took us just to some sites around the road in the town. He seemed to know his stuff but soon after started the tour because we were chatting about how much we were enjoying costa rica he wanted to end the tour and drop us off at a bar so we could hook up!!!!!????? Then he gave us this long speech and nobody talked for the rest of the tour and there was this uncomfortable silence. At the end he said now he had to go hike a few hours to bring food to a friend somewhere camping so obviously he didnt want to be doing our tour. The next day I did another night tour somewhere else it was so much better the guides were happy, they found lots of animals and we actually went into a real forest. So everyone is super nice at this hotel except mr grumpy so it's best to book night or morning tours somewhere else u have heaps of options in montverde

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I'm a low maintenance world traveller who has never once complained about a hostel/hotel online. Until now.

My stay here was simply awful! The owners were unfriendly, the screaming wind kept shattering up against my room's cheaply constructed window frame so loud that I could barely sleep. It may have been just one night with bad winds, but when I changed dwellings by going to the vastly superior Historias Lodge, the problem went away.

The place is also located next to a bunch of family homes and three neighbouring dogs bark for a good minute at each car or person that came into the hotel entrance. This barking symphony started at 5 a.m.! When I walked into the parking lot after dinner at 8 p.m., these same dogs that were so friendly and loud during the day started growling ferociously at me to the point where I really thought one would attack. An awful experience for a dog lover like myself! What's more, the owners started using an electric saw right beneath my window at 8 a.m. I was so bad, that I began to laugh!

Oh yeah, the room is small and uncozy, but it does have hot water.

Do yourself a favor and spend a bit more and go to the nearby Historias Lodge!

Room Tip: My Tip is to avoid this unfriendly place alltogether!!!