“Best Horseback riding in town by far!”

Horse Trek Monteverde
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Horseback Riding Stables in Costa Rica . Horse Trek Monteverde is based in the beautiful area of the Monteverde Cloud Forests. For over 18 years, Marvin Anchia and Janet Ellis have been offering horseback riding tours on well-loved and cared for horses. Rides include: 2.5 hours Mountain & Farm View Ride; 3 hour Campesino Tour Scenic (away from everything!) 4 hours in the Clouds Ride Continental Divide); Eden Falls Secret Waterfall and Hike Combo; All Day Cowboy Ride and Multi-Day, 2-8 day Horseback Riding Holidays.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Chino Hills, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Best Horseback riding in town by far!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were EXTREMELY lucky to stumble on to Horse Trek. We were walking down the street and found this little shop that sells excursions in Montverde. We got to talking to the lady who works there and told her we wanted to go horseback riding. She say's my husband Marvin owns a horseback riding company. So we booked the trip and boy did we have the time of our life and the royal treatment.
We were picked up by Marvin himself at our hotel. He took us to his barn where his horses were. We watched them get bathed and saddled. His horses are the most beautiful, healthy, amazing horses you will ever encounter at any horse rental stable. He is extremely passionate and loving towards ALL of his horses it is an amazing site to see. (wonder if he loves his wife as much) lol.. Joking aside, it was a beautiful site to see.
He then took us on some great roads and then we stopped for a water break and a cute little place. He then took us to his house to show us a horse that he had trained by touch and command. It was the most amazing thing you ever saw. We got to lay on top of the horse while it was laying on the ground and watch the horse do so many different tricks.
I believe he said he has 25 horses and they are all beautiful and healthy.
So I would STRONGLY recommend this trip and I would strongly recommend you take the tour with Marvin the owner. You will not be disappointed and it's relatively in expensive.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Riles13
Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you so much for the kind comments we really appreciate it.

Pura Vida

Stockholm, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great for both beginners and more experienced riders!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I and my boyfriend did this tour in the afternoon after having done the extreme canopy tour. Although the canopy tour was great it was not even close to as good as the Horse Trek Monteverde. I have beeen horse riding for many years but my boyfriend is a beginner. However, we both loved the tour. You get to ride for real and not just sit on the horse and let it do all the work. My boyfriend felt very relaxed with his horse even though he's a beginner and even though we gallopped quit a few times. These horses are very well trained, western style, and they look really healthy and happy. Marvin has an excellent hand with them and you can tell that he's taking very good care of his horses. While riding, Marvin told us about the surroundings and pointed out banana and coffee plantations as well as mango and avocado trees. The views a long the trail are spectacular. We did the 2,5 hours tour but if we have stayed longer in Monteverde we would definitely try another of the Horse Trek Monteverde tours. If you're in Monteverde, don't miss this tour!

Visited July 2014
Please come back to do some more riding the next time you are in Costa Rica. You were great to ride with!
Healdsburg, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Nice ride”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

My two friends and I did the 2.5 hour mountain and farm ride. Like someone else mentioned, the tour does take you on some dusty roads with tour buses, taxis, etc. However, it didn't really bother me, and we did take some less-crowded back roads as well. Our guide was pretty attentive, especially to my friend who has barely ever ridden a horse.
The horses seemed very well-cared for. They were clean and well-groomed. I rode Walker, and I didn't have any trouble at all, even though I have only ridden a horse a handful of times.

Visited June 2014
Corpus Christi, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Not what we expected”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We booked our ride through our B&B and realized we made a mistake from the start. The entire ride is along dirt and gravel roads with crazy cab drivers, dirt bikes, ATVs and other vehicles that drive too fast to share the road with a horse. I almost got in an accident with a large truck that nearly backed up into my horse.
I understand riding is different depending on where you are but I don't think this establishment has any regard for the riders safety. My husband and I wanted to enjoy the scenery but couldn't because our horses were slipping on rocks and dodging dogs and bad drivers! These roads can't be the only place that they take riders on.
If you want a peaceful ride to enjoy the views of Monteverde, make sure to ask about WHERE they will be taking you. The rider does not have control of the horses, the guide does. Our guide would call the horses to pick up the pace, even when we asked him to stop. Worst part of our Costa Rica trip and we are experienced riders. Never again.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Neta143
Helsinki, Finland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“The best way to explore Monteverde!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had booked the "All Day Cowboy" ride and Johaider, our guide, picked us up from our hotel. We drove a short way to a stable that looked pretty "run down" but accommodated about 5 horses altogether. Johaider gave us our horses which we fed and saddled up. We noticed that we were the only ones there, so me and my friend would have a private all-day ride!

We're pretty experienced riders, so we had asked for more "difficult" horses. Johaider gave us good horses, like he stated, and the horses (called Texas and Whisky) certainly looked very nice! We didn't dare to leave our backbacks to the car, and he didn't provide us any saddle bags even though we asked, so we had to ride with our backpacks with us - which was a bit inconvenient, especially when you go fast. There weren't any place to leave them securely (leaving them into a car is not secure enough), this clearly not being the "main" place/stable of Horsetrek Monteverde.

On this tour we walked pretty long way along the dusty road sides of Monteverde, which isn't quite convenient, neither such fun. Firstly you can't go faster than light trotting and the dust is really BAD on the roads. After about half an hour of this, we stopped for a coffee to a roadside coffee house with colibri feeding stalls outside. We wanted to continue asap and asked our guide to take us somewhere where we could go more faster. He promised, that soon we'd turn off the road. We did, but next we continued along a side road quite a long way, which went off the dusty main road, though. Just in here we got our first chance to gallop a bit. A bit disappointing was that our horses weren't so "alert" than we would've wanted to. Instead you had to really cheer them up to go faster..! Since I've competed f.ex. in cross country riding, I'd have expected a bit more "energized" and "hot" horse. You couldn't really keep the horse so "alert and awake" despite of our guides suggestion, because when you just walk along a road it doesn't do much good for rmore than a minute or so. So our horses got a bit too much on the lazy side.

Costa Rican "vaquero"-style riding is its own chapter, but I just don't like the fact included in it, that they just whip the horses to gallop instead of using their legs/calfs. But maybe it's just me 'cause I've had an English style teaching to ride. So if you want the horse to f.ex. gallop, you have to use the whip. The countryside fields through which we rode were beautiful, though. And we saw many horses, cows and bulls (yes, bulls) on our way.
The terrain was full of steep hills up and down, so in here you couldn't go very fast, either. It was more like "enjoy the scenery" -kind of riding. My horse wasn't particularly good at with his feet, either. Kept tripping all the time, to my amazement.

We continued to our lunch break place deep into the forest. Most parts of the paths to here were also VERY rocky, almost on the brink of not being suitable for horses to walk on, them being also very narrow. They managed, though. I would've used other kind of trails, though, for them being more easier for the horses and to their legs. After having a break of hour or so, we continued. The rest of the ride went mostly on some more quiet roads where we could have more stretches of gallop. Actually quite many, even though it was already the hot part of the day. So the ending half of the day was much more fun. More like riding for my taste! Our riding day lasted about 6 hours altogether and most of that time we were in the saddle, so it was worth the money.

In summary this was a nice riding day after all. The best part was that we had a complete tour just for ourselves. Johaider was a good guide, didn't talk too much (kept it more on the informative side) and let us to concentrate to riding and enjoying the scenery. Horseback riding is the best way to explore this region and I would recommend booking your tour from here. I think they have the best horses available around here!
I would've gave 5 stars if not for the some (though quite minor) downsides mentioned here. Still our day best spent while in Monteverde.

Visited March 2014