“It's consistently fabulous.”

Horse Trek Monteverde
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Horseback Riding Stables in Costa Rica . Horse Trek Monteverde is based in the beautiful area of the Monteverde Cloud Forests. For over 18 years, Marvin Anchia and Janet Ellis have been offering horseback riding tours on well-loved and cared for horses. Rides include: 2.5 hours Mountain & Farm View Ride; 3 hour Campesino Tour Scenic (away from everything!) 4 hours in the Clouds Ride Continental Divide); Eden Falls Secret Waterfall and Hike Combo; All Day Cowboy Ride and Multi-Day, 2-8 day Horseback Riding Holidays.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I bring groups through often, we come all the way from Mexico through Belize, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. I always, always make people wait until we get to Monteverde for this horse riding experience. The horses are extremely well cared for and they all are equally as beautiful, capable of walking, trotting and galloping when they are instructed by the rider. You are given that lesson at the beginning. Marvin and Johan have a genuine affection for these animals, and it shows in their guiding. I will also say that Marvin and Johan have the ability not only to sense how the horses are feeling, but also the people riding them. They would never push anyone who wasn't comfortable with trotting or galloping into doing it. I specifically remember one lady that was in our group who was petrified, Johan lead her and her horse all the way home. The roads around Monteverde are lovely, traffic is very considerate to the riders and in all honesty the horses aren't even bothered with noise, traffic or dogs. These horses are that well trained. As Marvin is quick to point out, they are his babies. Forget everything you think you know about riding and let Marvin and Johan open you up to a new world Costa Rica style.

2  Thank becn
Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Ahhhh... so sweet,,,, thanks! Pura Vida!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were EXTREMELY lucky to stumble on to Horse Trek. We were walking down the street and found this little shop that sells excursions in Montverde. We got to talking to the lady who works there and told her we wanted to go horseback riding. She say's my husband Marvin owns a horseback riding company. So we booked the trip and boy did we have the time of our life and the royal treatment.
We were picked up by Marvin himself at our hotel. He took us to his barn where his horses were. We watched them get bathed and saddled. His horses are the most beautiful, healthy, amazing horses you will ever encounter at any horse rental stable. He is extremely passionate and loving towards ALL of his horses it is an amazing site to see. (wonder if he loves his wife as much) lol.. Joking aside, it was a beautiful site to see.
He then took us on some great roads and then we stopped for a water break and a cute little place. He then took us to his house to show us a horse that he had trained by touch and command. It was the most amazing thing you ever saw. We got to lay on top of the horse while it was laying on the ground and watch the horse do so many different tricks.
I believe he said he has 25 horses and they are all beautiful and healthy.
So I would STRONGLY recommend this trip and I would strongly recommend you take the tour with Marvin the owner. You will not be disappointed and it's relatively in expensive.

2  Thank Riles13

Thank you so much for the kind comments we really appreciate it.

Pura Vida

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I and my boyfriend did this tour in the afternoon after having done the extreme canopy tour. Although the canopy tour was great it was not even close to as good as the Horse Trek Monteverde. I have beeen horse riding for many years but my boyfriend is a beginner. However, we both loved the tour. You get to ride for real and not just sit on the horse and let it do all the work. My boyfriend felt very relaxed with his horse even though he's a beginner and even though we gallopped quit a few times. These horses are very well trained, western style, and they look really healthy and happy. Marvin has an excellent hand with them and you can tell that he's taking very good care of his horses. While riding, Marvin told us about the surroundings and pointed out banana and coffee plantations as well as mango and avocado trees. The views a long the trail are spectacular. We did the 2,5 hours tour but if we have stayed longer in Monteverde we would definitely try another of the Horse Trek Monteverde tours. If you're in Monteverde, don't miss this tour!

Please come back to do some more riding the next time you are in Costa Rica. You were great to ride with!

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

My two friends and I did the 2.5 hour mountain and farm ride. Like someone else mentioned, the tour does take you on some dusty roads with tour buses, taxis, etc. However, it didn't really bother me, and we did take some less-crowded back roads as well. Our guide was pretty attentive, especially to my friend who has barely ever ridden a horse.
The horses seemed very well-cared for. They were clean and well-groomed. I rode Walker, and I didn't have any trouble at all, even though I have only ridden a horse a handful of times.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We booked our ride through our B&B and realized we made a mistake from the start. The entire ride is along dirt and gravel roads with crazy cab drivers, dirt bikes, ATVs and other vehicles that drive too fast to share the road with a horse. I almost got in an accident with a large truck that nearly backed up into my horse.
I understand riding is different depending on where you are but I don't think this establishment has any regard for the riders safety. My husband and I wanted to enjoy the scenery but couldn't because our horses were slipping on rocks and dodging dogs and bad drivers! These roads can't be the only place that they take riders on.
If you want a peaceful ride to enjoy the views of Monteverde, make sure to ask about WHERE they will be taking you. The rider does not have control of the horses, the guide does. Our guide would call the horses to pick up the pace, even when we asked him to stop. Worst part of our Costa Rica trip and we are experienced riders. Never again.

2  Thank Neta143