“Great location”
Review of Cala Lodge

Cala Lodge
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Monteverde
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Simple accommodations, feels like a treehouse.
We were there near the end of April. At night it's cold & windy so pack some warm clothes.
It's a short walk to Greens restaurant (try their creative menu) & Johnny's tapas bar/pizza place.
Both very inexpensive but excellent food & service.
You can walk to downtown fr cala lodge but it is all uphill on the way back. Luckily a taxi only costs $3
The cook was so friendly & even tho we were early for breakfast she would let us in to help ourselves to the coffee.
They have a read & trade library in the main lodge which is nice.
A perfect addition to the lodge would be a hot tub to enjoy after a long day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Playaplayer_11

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed at this place on two separate trips, one with friends and another with my boyfriend, and loved both times. The cabins are beautiful and some have great balconies. The ones without balconies still have great views. The rooms are large and very clean. The shower is really nice with real water heaters, which are not common in Costa Rica. The bed is large and comfy. Overall, I would definitely recommend this place!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shengxiao
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

The Cala Lodge is just a bit outside of the centre of Monteverde in a stunning location overlooking the rainforests. It is set in beautifully quiet and relaxing gardens where we saw more animals and birds then when we did the hanging bridges walk.

The rooms are basic, by this I mean they don't have a TV, telephone or fridge, but apart from the fridge I don't know why it would matter. We were on a ground floor room which was nice and had a little patio area outside the door but the ones on the 1st floor are the ones to go for if you can because of the view you get is incredible. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was good consisting of fruit, cereals, toast, scrambled egg, tea coffee and orange juice ordered from a menu rather than buffet style.

When on route to the Cala Lodge for the first time we were getting very worried as the shuttle bus seemed to be heading quite far out of the town and up a very steep hill, however when we arrived we were immediately relieved as it's a lovely location. It was also only a 5-7 minute walk to a small area with a supermarket and a few restaurants and about 15-20 walk into the main town down the hill. We were told a taxi would cost about $5-6 if we wanted to get one there or back, but actually even after a big dinner in town the walk back up the hill wasn't so bad and we didn't use a taxi at any point whilst staying there. In terms of restaurants in town I would recommend Morpho (which was recommended to us by the owner of Cala Lodge.). It was the best meal we had in Costa Rica and was pretty reasonably priced.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Cala Lodge has been so far my favourite lodge in Costa Rica. The rooms are too lovely. They have amazing views, beds, decor, bathrooms with hair dryer, full length mirror and a free safety deposit box. Staff are friendly and they recommend nice restaurants. Whilst I've been here I've enjoyed my stay and would definitely recommend this idyllically set lodge.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Cala Lodge for 3nights whilst exploring Monteverde. The Hotel itself is in a beautiful location overlooking jungle but this does mean it is a 20-25 minute walk down a very steep hill into the little town of Santa Elena where a lot of the restaurants are. We didn't mind the walk, but I imagine it would be difficult with children.
Our room was on the ground floor (only has 2 floors) and was basic but very nice. I would suggest requesting a room on the first floor as it was very noisy hearing the other guests move around and go up and down the stairs outside our room. The rooms at the front of the building also had lovely balconies with a great view so I would also request one of them,we were at the back without much view.
The shower was hot and powerful-just what you needed after a long day in the jungle.
The breakfast here is not self service and you get a basic choice of scrambled eggs with cheese/tomato/ham added or 2pancakes. The food was nice but maybe would of been nice to have larger portions or more choice when you need to fill yourself up for the busy days ahead exploring the jungle.
Staff were great and very helpful-helped us arrange all our tours and rang some companies in our lonely planet guide for us. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed 5 nights at the lodge. For relaxation that was a good amount of time. I would have definitely had a better stay if I had rented a car. I was traveling alone so I was really not comfortable walking alone too far by myself. Yes, you can walk into town but you need hiking shoes because some of the roads are very rocky. Every cab had a different rate and one charged me $5 for a five minute ride. If you are planning to stay here I highly recommend you rent a car. The 5 nights was definitely too long. I took private transportation to and from the lodge and it was quite expensive ($320). You can get a shuttle to the lodge but it only leaves at 8:20 a.m. from the Holiday Inn in San Jose.

They only serve breakfast so I had to go into town for lunch or dinner. I did have food delivered a few nights and it was just average.

On a more positive note, I loved my balcony room and had lots of opportunity to practice my photography. I couldn't believe the number of different birds I saw (woodpeckers, mot mots ,hummers, and several others) right on the property. The room (# 6) was very comfortable and the view was spectacular.

I would definitely stay here again but only if I had transportation.

Room Tip: room 6 and 7 had a excellent view and several different birds came to the tree right outside the roo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I loved how peaceful this lodge was! Super close to quaint monteverde but off the beaten path so it felt totally private when you were there. Views were spectacular as each room has a deck (if on upper level- house closer to reception would have best views )! Bird lovers heaven. Rooms are simple- cabin like and perfect for this setting. We slept so good with the wind blowing and the cooler temps of this area. Francisco - owner- happily checked us in early and immediately got us set up with the most amazing zip lining and night hike of our lives! We saw so much wildlife and learned a ton - and loved our guides for zip lining. All of the locals we met here were so kind, happy, knowledgable! Francisco's family owns a restaurant close by - that gladly let us in and fed us after dinner. Breakfast was included at the lodge and cooked to order. Coffee was ready at 6:30 am and we watched the birds from the main deck. Definitely recommend this neat little hideaway if you want a peaceful place to enjoy the nature and Francisco's knowledgable recommendations and info about the area. He even walked the nature path with us and tried to help us find a tarantula :) It was a+ !

Room Tip: Lodge by reception on upper level would have best views
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family