“Beautiful”

Hotel Belmar
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Monteverde
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is a lovely hotel located just outside of town. It has a spectacular view of the Nicoya Peninsula at sunset.

The staff at the hotel were excellent. Our room was beautiful (we did book an upgraded top floor room for the view). Spacious and very clean. Beautiful glass shower and large soaker tub!

The restaurant serves the most amazing cocktails and the service was spectacular. They have "Tico Time" (their version of happy hour) which offers one free appetizer with each drink you order.

We booked a private night tour with the hotel. It wound up being just the two of us and our guide Jorge. I would HIGHLY recommend this tour. Jorge can spot animals anywhere and he is extremely knowledgable. We even stopped at a park in town on the way back because he had heard a sloth was spotted there earlier in the day. Sure enough, there was a sloth!

This hotel is certainly higher end and costs a bit more but I would definitely say, it was worth it!

Room Tip: I would upgrade to the rooms with a view!
1  Thank Cheryl K

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My honey and I spent two very enjoyable nights at the Belmar. We had a "Peninsula Superior" room, corner room, terrace/balcony (with beautiful views of the forests and gulf/ocean, and wonderful sunsets), all the amenities, clean, comfortable, excellent service, one free yoga class each, beautiful grounds and walking path, wonderful breakfasts (included), and the Belmar has an excellent restaurant (two excellent dinners). This is an excellent choice in Monteverde, close to the cloud forest, for those with a car (or by taxi), and a short ride to town. Without a car you can feel a little stranded at the Belmar; the walk to town a little long and all uphill coming back.

As an aside, whenever we travel we always drive (rental). Though we had a wonderful vacation in Costa Rica, the only mistake we made was not to rent a car; this based on some comments in guide books and conversations with a Costa Rican tour agency about the quality of roads, signs, other drivers, etc. Not having an auto definitely limited our flexibility, the ability to make spur of the moment stops, road trips, etc. I will say that many of the roads were less than optimum, dirt, gravel, ruts, and the roads off the main, paved, roadways could be a challenge, especially at night, with rain or fog; an SUV with GPS or good maps would have sufficed nicely.

Enjoy!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Beautiful room overlooking the ocean. Great breakfast. It did not matter was at the front desk.
Helpful, friendly. Set up tours, got us cabs. Veronika was just the best. Just a short ride into town. Great location near the cloud forest. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a top floor.
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is at the top of the trip advisor charts for a reason. Our 1 night stay here was an experience we will never forget

We were greeted nicely on arrival and shown to our room. We were staying in the Belmar Peninsular room #12 which had a beautiful view of the Gulf. The sunset was gorgeous and all the staff were friendly.

The room we were in had a Jacuzzi tub in the corner and a larger window next to it. When it got dark we turned off the lights and layed in the Jacuzzi while looking at the stars. It was incredible how many you could see. I think I spotted about 4-5 shooting stars too.

The breakfast was delicious. My girlfriend said it was the best omelets she's ever had and even went back for a second.

We went on the short trail before heading out but all in all Belmar is totally worth it. Check them out. I know when we return to monteverde we will be staying there again!

Sean-N-Tori

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sean-N-Tori
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I loved everything about this hotel! The lobby and grounds are beautiful, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the linens and bathroom products are high quality, the view is great, the food is delicious and the staff is friendly and helpful. Have I made my point? :) I stayed in six hotels during my trip to Costa Rica, and this was far and away the best. I only wish the stay was longer! One thing to note: if you don't have a car, this would be a hard hotel to get to. If you do have a car, book it now.

Room Tip: I stayed in the main building, so I cannot speak to the rooms in the other part of the hotel.
1  Thank lilsy15
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel Belmar is hands down one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Not only was the room (ocean view west facing ) spacious and comfortable, the sunset views from the balcony can't be beat. The hotel staff is really friendly and helped us arrange transportation and tours besides recommendations for local activities. The hotel has a nice restaurant which again capitalizes on the scenic beauty of the region. The hotel also promotes eco tourism which is always a positive thing in my book. The path leading to the hotel is a little hike though but we did not mind it. I would live to stay there again if I am ever back in the area .

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Hotel Belmar takes hospitality very seriously. Everything at the hotel is guest oriented, and it makes it hard not to fall in love with the place. The rooms are extremely comfortable, clean and beautiful. The free yoga sessions they have for guests twice a day is a lovely touch : the studio is amazing and the teachers will make you like yoga even if you are new at it. Front desk is helpful with everything you might need help with and the restaurant is by far the best in Monteverde. Make sure you try one of the craft cocktails they have on the bar menu, it goes so nice with sunset!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo