El Establo
  • Pool
Monteverde Inn(Monteverde)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$40
Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines(Cerro Plano)
US$155
US$90
Hotel Belmar(Monteverde)
US$225
Agoda.com
Hotel El Bosque(Monteverde)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$49
  • Breakfast included
US$68
2,041 results
All reviewsshuttle servicemain restaurantsteep hilllas riendastour deskcosta ricacloud forestrocking chairslarge propertyzip lineno wifi in the roomsreception areanight walkbreakfast buffetspread outmountain sidepublic areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We walked in and the room was beautiful and the view from the patio was great.
The service here Is top notch. Since the property is a very large one and it is located on such an incline, they run a shuttle service to taxi you around the property. Someone is always waiting to open the for for you.
Breakfast is very good, and there is an ambiance about the place.
Now the negatives. The mattress is a bit firm for my taste, the walls are paper thin making it noisy to your neighbors. Although The shuttle service is great, The size of the property is a bit inconvenient. The main areas of the grounds are kept well, but other areas need tending to.
Great location, well decorated rooms. I would repeat.
I wish I could rate this one a 3.5

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrtommy74
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We recently stayed at the El Establo Mountain Hotel in Monteverde for two nights as part of our two week Costa Rica vacation. This property was the only one that we didn’t specifically select, but rather was part of the package with the travel service we used in Monteverde. Unfortunately, our initial impression of the hotel was not good. We arrived early and our room was not ready. The front desk was very unaccommodating. No attempt was made to suggest where we could go or what we could do on property or in the area to kill time. The hotel is very spread out and requires shuttles to get around the hilly property. However, no shuttles are available to get to town. Once our room was ready, we were placed in a building in the middle of a very rowdy/drinking tour group. Since we had to get up at five for a tour ourselves, we requested a building change. The hotel did accommodate us and moved us to a much quieter (and nicer) building and room. From that point forward, our stay was much more pleasant and we could enjoy the views and wildlife. And, we need to point out, that each time we called for a shuttle, they arrived very promptly. Our accommodations came with a breakfast and dinner each day. The breakfast was great. However, the included dinner required a choice of appetizers, entrees and desserts from a separate menu much more limited than the regular menu. The “free” meals were very lacking. However, we did order off of the regular menu the second night, and received a 50% discount. These meals were satisfactory. Also, keep in mind, that it is a trek to walk to town, but well worth it. Taxis are everywhere in town if you don’t want to walk back up the hills. Visit the Tree House, the bakery, Johnny’s Pizzeria and, of course, the Monteverde Cloud Forest. A word of advice if you go on a guided tour of the Cloud Forest - The tour guide will only take you on a short portion of all the trails that are available. If you have the time, are more adventuresome, and in halfway decent shape, ask for a map of the trails and spend a couple of more hours there. The trails are all very well marked and maintained. The views from “La Ventana” are spectacular, and there is a great hanging bridge that takes you well above the forest floor, and offers a good vantage point for seeing birds and other animals. There is a very cheap local bus shuttle that can take you back to your hotel.

1  Thank P B
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were pleased with our accomodations at El Establo. The view from the rooms was beautiful. The rooms were clean and spacious. The restaurtant/bar was picturesque. Our only complaint was that we had to constantly shuttle up and down the mountain, tipping $1 each time. We enjoyed our stay.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The rooms were dated and refurbishing is needed. The rooms are cleaned well and the cleaning staff is friendly. The rooms have a comfortable size but are not sound proof at all.

The rooms are not in walking distance of the hotel facilities and the shuttle is not practical.

The wifi does not work well so do not count on it.

The breakfast buffet is average. All sereals were covered with sugar but I was able to get some without sugar when I asked for it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nauwemi
Reviewed 28 May 2014

On the second night of our stay at this hotel, my husband collapsed in the dining room. The Matre D' and his staff couldn't have been more helpful. After phoning the doctor (who was 3 hours away) a shuttle was arranged to take him to the entrance of the hotel where 2 ambulances with full medical team minus a doctor was waiting. I never had passports, money or anything else on me and the hotel lent me $200 for the hospital. Because of the bad roads it took 2 hours to get to the hospital. The Matre D' came with in the ambulance and organised everyhing as I do not speak Spanish. The one nurse who came with us spoke English. He told me that the hotel would be sending on of their own shuttles to fetch us, which unfortunately, did not materialise. This was no fault of the hotel but of the hospital who refused to see how my husband was doing and refused to take a mobile number of one of the staff who was working at reception. We eventually took a cab back to the hotel, where we arrived at 5 a.m. If it wasn't for the matre D' and the other staff I don't know what we would have done. All I can say is that although the hotel was not 5 star, the staff certainly make up for it and I want to say THANK YOU to all concerned. I don't know what we would have done without you.

Room Tip: Learn a bit of Spanish before you go. You never know what lies ahead.
2  Thank LesBarkhan