“Beautiful place, peaceful, delicious, best place I've stayed in CR!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Colina Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monteverde
La Colina Lodge
Medford, Massachusetts
“Beautiful place, peaceful, delicious, best place I've stayed in CR!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I had an amazing stay at La Colina Lodge. The energy there is so peaceful and I instantly felt at home. Clean, spacious rooms for very low cost, amazing food, fast free WifI, a beautiful outdoor yard with gardens where you can watch the sunset...this place is incredible :) You also meet people from the community here, there is a CSA pickup and artist who sometimes paints there, and a super cool art festival Sunday mornings. Highly recommend this place to the traveler who wants an authentic, comfortable, beautiful experience. I planned to stay 2 nights and ended up staying 5 because I liked it so much. Also, they recently changed management, and some major upgrades took place, so reviews from mid-2013 and earlier may no longer be valid.

Room Tip: Go to Ferria de Color - a small art and food gathering at La Colina Lodge sunday mornings.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel J
ColinaLodge, Manager at La Colina Lodge, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
We love having you Daniel! Thank you for your comment! We hope you come back soon! :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Surrey, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights at La Colina and enjoyed it very much. It is now run by Kelly and Morrisio. Room includes breakfast which was large and tasty! Kelly helped us with giving us ideas on what to do and arranged tours for us! It's a rustic mountain type lodge that has lots of character. Kelly and Morrisio are working to bring it back to it's previous splendour. Really nice people who help visitors a lot. Even phoned and arranged accomadation in La Fortuna which worked out great! Beds were clean and very warm which was appreciated with the cool, windy nights. Area is quiet at night and lots of birds in surrounding trees.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rob N
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Diane and I enjoyed our stay with Nancy at her lovely lodge located on the the outskirts of Monte Verde. Kick your feet up and relax. Nancy took care of us in setting up our tours and pointing us in the right directions in and around Monte Verde. Such a homey little place and an excellent deal. We will surely return again and look forward to seeing how Kelly and Mal have made out with the reopening of the cafe. If your looking for a bargain this is it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michael d
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I don't know if it was because it was the slow season or what, but the La Colina lodge was so awful my husband and I didn't feel comfortable letting the kids stay there. It is important to note that we are not fancy travelers. We have traveled a lot of places all over the world, and always stay in budget accommodations. However, the La Colina was just filthy. There is no other way to describe it (well, really smelly is another way). We ended up checking in and leaving our bags to run to a tour, but the whole time we were on the tour all we would think about was that when the tour was over, we would have to go back to that smelly, dirty place. So, after the tour we went back, got our stuff (told a white lie to the owner about why we were leaving~I didn't want a confrontation) and went to the Hotel Bellbird instead (see my review for the Hotel Bellbird). We were willing to forfeit the money paid up front for the room to get out of there. In hind sight, if it had just been my husband and I and we had sleeping bags (so we wouldn't have to touch the actual bedding) we probably could have toughed it out and stayed there. But there was no way I was letting my 3 young boys stay in a room with a collapsing ceiling that looked like it had black mold in it. I hate to leave negative reviews, but I think people should know what they are getting into. And again, it could be due to the slow season, but I still think that is a poor excuse. Everywhere else we stayed in Costa Rica was clean and wonderful. As a final note...the hotel owner/manager (?) was friendly and nice (which is why I didn't want a confrontation while we were getting out of there).

Room Tip: Don't pay until you check the rooms to see if this is someplace you want to stay.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank roaming_with_my_boys
ColinaLodge, General Manager at La Colina Lodge, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hello to "roaming with my boys", and thank you for your comments. My name is Kelly, and as of January 2014 myself and my partner Mauricio have rented out La Colina Lodge. Although it is my understanding that the owner had informed you that she was, in fact, closed at the time of your arrival and offered to let you stay at any rate, I am certain that she would have taken steps to remedy any problems that you confronted had you spoken directly with her.

Since assuming the new management of La Colina, Mao and I have committed ourselves to providing a warm, clean, and friendly place for all travelers, and our guests since January have been extremely happy with their rooms, our service, and the activities and events we are offering. I would hope that you would keep an open mind and return to La Colina to see the changes we have put in place, and we trust that you would be completely satisfied.

Kelly Lange

Travellers are raving about these Monteverde hotels

Itasca, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

My fiance and I recently had the pleasure of staying at La Colina Lodge in Monteverde and we can't wait to return some day! The location is removed from the noise of Santa Elena, which we appreciated. The staff were very friendly and helpful with setting up activities, calling taxis, etc; thanks Greg and Nancy for your good vibes! We loved the connections staff have with the locals. Expect an early rise with the roosters and other animals greeting the sun; we didn't mind because we wanted to take advantage of hiking, canopy tours, coffee/chocolate plantation tours, and more. A short walk to a few good restaurants, although Santa Elena is a fairly steep and lengthier hike to more eatery options. Our room was quaint but comfortable; we did a shared bath option and had no problems. Breakfast was great, and there was plenty of organic coffee to sip on throughout the day. Nothing really to compare it to in the area, but we loved our stay at La Colina!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

My husband, 2 daughters (ages 11 and 9) and I stayed here for 3 nights. I'd stayed at La Colina's previous incarnation (Pension Flor Mar) in 1998 as a solo traveler and was curious to see how the place had changed. Although it's changed considerably, it's warmth and charm remain. Our family enjoyed our clean, simply decorated room(s) which included a double bed (for my DH and I) and bunk beds (for the girls). The bathroom sink was disappointing (the sink needed repair and the handyman was a no-show so we had to turn the water off and on from the valve under the sink instead of the faucet) and the ceiling light by the girls' bed also needed repair (by the same guy who hadn't fixed the sink). Despite these shortcomings, we had a great stay. The location may seem a bit off the beaten path (definitely the paved road) but the chance to see horses carrying milk cans to deliver at the nearby Monteverde Cheese Factory made it all the better. Nancy and Greg were wonderful hosts brimming with great advice. They set us up with a spectacular naturalist (whose name I regret I forgot) as well as horseback riding with a great place. The animals (dogs, cats, and birds) were a wonderful addition (although we thought the rooster was a bit overzealous with his wake up calls ;-)).

Room Tip: There are a variety of rooms. Try to describe your group and what you're looking for and Nancy a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Acadiaphile411
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

We had a lovely stay here. Clean rooms, good value for the money and good location. Very helpful, friendly and accommodating staff. We were traveling with our 9 month old son and they gave us the biggest room for more comfort.
They even served breakfast a little earlier for us so we could make it on time for our guided tour of the park.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family