“affordably great”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Colina Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monteverde
La Colina Lodge
SantaFe
“affordably great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is such a cozy spot. We arrived and instantly started breathing at a slower pace, finding true peace being nestled into this lodge right at the edge of the Monteverde Reserve. Staff is friendly and place is clean. Great price. It's a happy spot I now dream of going back to!

Room Tip: ask for backside of lodge so you don't look at street
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bellaiis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Me and two of my friends decided to stay at La Colina on our visit to Monteverde. We loved it! Everything was great. The lodge itself was very pretty, it had a very artsy feel to it. Kelly helped us tremendously, she helped us find things to do in the area as well as helped us find our way to the Nicoya peninsula. For 5$ more a day they served us a wonderful breakfast which included an array of fresh fruits, a main plate of whatever was on the menu that day as well as a fresh cup of coffee. Both the room and the bathroom were extremely clean and well decorated. The location and lodge are both beautiful. The second Colina building housed a library in progress and a wonderful yoga studio, definitely a great place to relax. La Colina also is home to a rooster and some very friendly dogs. All in all we fell in love with La colina, we were supposed to stay 2 nights but we extended it a 3 nights because we just did not want to leave.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My son and I stayed at La Colina for three nights. Kelly was super helpful and pleasant. The room was clean and adequate, with great tile floors and access to forests just yards away. The food was great, we saw agoutis, armadillos and Toucanets around the Lodge and a short walk up the road led us to see a wonderful variety birds. We could walk in 25 minutes to Monteverde and Kelly helped us get around Santa Elena and Monteverde. All of this for a modest price. La Colina is a for sure return!

Room Tip: Bring cash to pay, and be prepared for a bit of crowing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Medford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I had an amazing stay at La Colina Lodge. The energy there is so peaceful and I instantly felt at home. Clean, spacious rooms for very low cost, amazing food, fast free WifI, a beautiful outdoor yard with gardens where you can watch the sunset...this place is incredible :) You also meet people from the community here, there is a CSA pickup and artist who sometimes paints there, and a super cool art festival Sunday mornings. Highly recommend this place to the traveler who wants an authentic, comfortable, beautiful experience. I planned to stay 2 nights and ended up staying 5 because I liked it so much. Also, they recently changed management, and some major upgrades took place, so reviews from mid-2013 and earlier may no longer be valid.

Room Tip: Go to Ferria de Color - a small art and food gathering at La Colina Lodge sunday mornings.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel J
ColinaLodge, Manager at La Colina Lodge, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
We love having you Daniel! Thank you for your comment! We hope you come back soon! :)
Surrey, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights at La Colina and enjoyed it very much. It is now run by Kelly and Morrisio. Room includes breakfast which was large and tasty! Kelly helped us with giving us ideas on what to do and arranged tours for us! It's a rustic mountain type lodge that has lots of character. Kelly and Morrisio are working to bring it back to it's previous splendour. Really nice people who help visitors a lot. Even phoned and arranged accomadation in La Fortuna which worked out great! Beds were clean and very warm which was appreciated with the cool, windy nights. Area is quiet at night and lots of birds in surrounding trees.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rob N
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Diane and I enjoyed our stay with Nancy at her lovely lodge located on the the outskirts of Monte Verde. Kick your feet up and relax. Nancy took care of us in setting up our tours and pointing us in the right directions in and around Monte Verde. Such a homey little place and an excellent deal. We will surely return again and look forward to seeing how Kelly and Mal have made out with the reopening of the cafe. If your looking for a bargain this is it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michael d
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I don't know if it was because it was the slow season or what, but the La Colina lodge was so awful my husband and I didn't feel comfortable letting the kids stay there. It is important to note that we are not fancy travelers. We have traveled a lot of places all over the world, and always stay in budget accommodations. However, the La Colina was just filthy. There is no other way to describe it (well, really smelly is another way). We ended up checking in and leaving our bags to run to a tour, but the whole time we were on the tour all we would think about was that when the tour was over, we would have to go back to that smelly, dirty place. So, after the tour we went back, got our stuff (told a white lie to the owner about why we were leaving~I didn't want a confrontation) and went to the Hotel Bellbird instead (see my review for the Hotel Bellbird). We were willing to forfeit the money paid up front for the room to get out of there. In hind sight, if it had just been my husband and I and we had sleeping bags (so we wouldn't have to touch the actual bedding) we probably could have toughed it out and stayed there. But there was no way I was letting my 3 young boys stay in a room with a collapsing ceiling that looked like it had black mold in it. I hate to leave negative reviews, but I think people should know what they are getting into. And again, it could be due to the slow season, but I still think that is a poor excuse. Everywhere else we stayed in Costa Rica was clean and wonderful. As a final note...the hotel owner/manager (?) was friendly and nice (which is why I didn't want a confrontation while we were getting out of there).

Room Tip: Don't pay until you check the rooms to see if this is someplace you want to stay.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank roaming_with_my_boys
ColinaLodge, General Manager at La Colina Lodge, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hello to "roaming with my boys", and thank you for your comments. My name is Kelly, and as of January 2014 myself and my partner Mauricio have rented out La Colina Lodge. Although it is my understanding that the owner had informed you that she was, in fact, closed at the time of your arrival and offered to let you stay at any rate, I am certain that she would have taken steps to remedy any problems that you confronted had you spoken directly with her.

Since assuming the new management of La Colina, Mao and I have committed ourselves to providing a warm, clean, and friendly place for all travelers, and our guests since January have been extremely happy with their rooms, our service, and the activities and events we are offering. I would hope that you would keep an open mind and return to La Colina to see the changes we have put in place, and we trust that you would be completely satisfied.

Kelly Lange

Travellers are raving about these Monteverde hotels