“Worth a try”

The Station Bar & Grill
Ranked #20 of 27 Restaurants in Alexandra
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Great o/door bars front & back. Takeaway & dine in.Fab cheap menu selection from seafood to salad's.Kids Menu, Group(private)functions room.Live Music on Sat's.Jukebox,pool tables & friendly helpful staff to pour you a nice cold beer or local wine or a non alcholic beverage :)
Oamaru, New Zealand
“Worth a try”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We chose to have dinner at this restaurant recently, based on an article we read in The News. We were the only customers there, but as it was early, a Tuesday night, and very cold, that was no surprise! We received a warm welcome and obliging service. My husband is a fan of seafood chowder and has eaten it in a number of restaurants and he thought the one he had for an entree at The Rock was okay, not great, but okay. It was served with a generous helping of a delicious cheesy bread. He had steak for his main ($25) and I had the battered blue cod ($30). Both dishes were served with chips and salad. His steak was cooked well and my fish was nice, but I think it was a bit over-priced. I understand blue cod is expensive and no doubt the price of this main changes depending on the market value but for $30 I don't think it was unreasonable to expect a second piece of fish. For dessert I had the apple shortcake and ice cream which was very nice. All the dishes were presented nicely. Our total bill for one juice, one beer, one entree, two mains and one dessert was $85. Obviously the atmosphere was relatively quiet when we were there (except for the radio) but no doubt the place is very different when there are more patrons and people are playing pool, watching sport on the TV, etc. Anyway, I gather this is a reasonably new business so I wish the owners well in their venture.

• Visited July 2014

Dunedin, New Zealand
“Rude service, not very interested in customes”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We were walking around Alexandra for a place to eat, it was 1:45pm and we saw this place which offered meals between 12pm and 2pm.

The waitress comes to us and says "want lunch?", we said, "yes please". She went to the kitchen and yelled "can I order lunch for two customers?", and the cook said "naaah", showing no enthusiasm at all. The waitress left saying "no lunch today".

We didn't expect such a wrong welcoming in Alexandra. We ended up eating in a town half an hour away from Alexadra. We'll never try to go back there,

• Visited April 2013