“Value For Money All-Inclusive”
Review of Alba Royal Hotel

Alba Royal Hotel
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Colakli
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I was extremely pleased with check-in etc at Manchester airport and we all got a surprise when we boarded our unexpected, long-haul flight style plane – the seats were comfy, leg-room was adequate for the guys and service was very good. Flight was brill, collection of cases went smoothly but the transfer to the hotel was marred slightly by lack of organisation on Thomas Cook’s behalf and a faulty bus (most buses were small – take a bottle of water with you!) We got to Colakli and the Alba Royal Hotel eventually.

The transfer home went smoothly but expect more than one security check at the airport.

Check-in at the hotel went smoothly, however, we were surprised to find that we were not allocated rooms in the same part of the hotel – being essentially a one party booking!!!! We booked this holiday months ago in January with my brother and sister-in-law as a group booking, requesting adjacent sea-view twin rooms. This is the underlying theme of my review as we had been allocated a room on the top floor – yes it had a sea-view if I stood on tippy-toes but sitting down all I saw was a concrete wall – not what we had booked, plus it was not a twin-room either! We went straight down to reception and requested a room change – we were told to return the following morning. Therefore I didn’t unpack. We just managed to have our evening meal as that closes at 9.30. Then went for a good strong drink!

Rooms
The following morning (after bagging our sunbeds – essential I’m afraid) we went to reception at the required time …. Sadly we really had to dig our heels in and be very persistent and luckily we had brought our invoice with us, which confirmed it was a group booking and that we had not been given our booked room!!! Sea-view, twin-bed room adjacent. Finally after trying to communicate with reception staff who really couldn’t give a dam, and spoke “not good enough English” for reception staff to deal with problems, we were allocated a family room but I had to sign a paper ensuring we would vacate this room on June 13th by 12 0’clock, when we would be allocated yet another room! The Thomas Cook rep wasn’t at the hotel at the right time to use her communication skills.

This room was okay, with mini-fridge and tea/coffee making facilities – but for a family room the balcony was much too small – but at least I could see the sea when drinking my early-morning cuppa, or pre-evening meal drink! I DID unpack at this stage – not fully but we did. Sitting al-fresco on a balcony, looking out to sea is an important, if not essential part of a holiday to me!!! Some people may not care but I do!

The hotel in itself is a good hotel, it’s kept extremely clean, at some point, somewhere, part of the hotel is being cleaned or maintained. The gardeners keep the landscaped gardens looking pristine and the pool area must be swept clean on a running programme daily. The resort is situated in a beautiful spot, if all you want is that, as the surrounding area doesn’t have much going for it. Therefore, we spent our fortnight at the hotel, we couldn’t summon up the energy to be bothered to venture further and visit Side – we hadn’t come on holiday to shop and to be truthful the allure wasn’t strong enough! There are a few shops in the hotel providing essential items and jewellery, plus a photo service.

The pool area is kept very clean, as is the pool which is a good size and of equal depth – I couldn’t stand up anywhere so it’s a good job I can swim! Sunbeds are bagged from very early in the morning from before 6 a.m. onwards, so I’m afraid I joined the rat-race and we always got a decent spot, despite our many morning room changes. We noticed that quite a few people make sure their area is theirs by bagging 3 sunbeds! This holiday I was often at the pool before 6 but went back to bed on many a morning as a 6 a.m. start takes its toll eventually!

Our brother and sister-in-law went to the beach every day and always got a good spot but found others encroached on their shade so recommend getting 3 sunbeds so your space/area is your own.

The all-inclusive offer is very good and definitely value for money as the food was good offering a varied choice. We could always find something to suit our palette for all meals. The drinks were on the whole very good, especially the Tuborg Gold beer, and in the end we ordered vodka and cokes/tonics separately as you could create your own concoction/strength that way. Wine was sweet except for the red. Unfortunately slim-line mixers were mostly unavailable. Food was on offer in many areas so you can never really be hungry, plus each area offers something different, however bars do like to close on time even if it is stated they will be open later. The disco wasn’t open and the card room etc closed early at 10 p.m. This is the first hotel where ice-cream, waffles & ice-cream, cornettos and lollies are part of the all-inclusive package – very good! Crisps and nuts are served with drinks as the norm which was a welcome touch. The only negative regarding the food was the opening times of the main restaurants and the difficulty to book the specialist restaurants so we didn’t bother in the end.

The beach view is gorgeous with water-sports etc. However we noticed packs of dogs roaming freely.

Staff – We both found the staff very pleasant and accommodating – we did tip on a nightly basis but they deserved to be tipped, as in general they work very hard. The staff prefer to be tipped with euros and in the shops euros are the first currency, but will accept others. Our rooms were all cleaned well. One member of staff did ignore our drinks order so we left the bar and went to another, where we were served immediately. The bars where the Wi-Fi signs are displayed were both good and the Wi-Fi worked well. Management staff we found to be disinterested in general.

Entertainment – The Animation team worked hard during the day around the pool and depending on the clientele the enthusiasm they received was varied. I thought the games they contrived were good. If you prefer to enjoy a more peaceful environment - the end of the pool away from the bar, near the lunchtime buffet restaurant is best.

We were very disappointed in the evening entertainment, being past Thomson Gold, Sensatori and Couples guests. The Animation team put on shows in the separate auditorium which was hugely uninviting, as you can’t be served drinks or not disturb other guests should you wish to leave. However, when the duos played around the pool bar, guests danced and had a great time, but this didn’t happen often enough! The hotel really needs to take on board this aspect as I believe they will have more return guests, and actually be able to charge more, as I would have paid more for good entertainment …. not one comedian in the whole two weeks!!!? Duh!! Maybe guests from other countries don’t expect entertainment as part of their holiday?

The hotel showed the World Cup in various venues and also erected a huge score-board in the hotel grounds which was a good touch and was a talking point for many of the guests as they passed by!

Spa – We didn’t use the spa, except to change towels, but I object very strongly to a complete stranger approaching me when sun-bathing and prodding my very sore legs, telling me that I potentially have heart disease (which I don’t!) The spa-team strut their stuff, like peacocks around the pool, stopping frequently to encourage guests to use their facilities. I noticed that they are all very tactile, appearing to assume it’s okay to touch people even if they don’t always ask permission first! If that’s your thing then okay but I found them to be annoying, intrusive and in the end told them to leave me alone in no uncertain terms!

The room saga continues ….. on the morning of the 13th I packed (after securing our sunbeds,) so we went down to reception after finding that there was a note pushed under our door from ‘The Management.’ We were informed that we could have that room for a day longer ….. we stuck our heels in again (after all we had signed our lives away only a few days earlier promising to vacate it on that very date) and for God’s sake I’d spent over an hour packing that morning!!! So he gave us a new room – guess where – back where we were allocated in the first place i.e. concrete jungle – oh no – no way!!! Again we had to be very persistent and awkward which we don’t wish to be on holiday especially. Eventually after much smirking from the receptionist who’d made us sign the ‘promise letter’ we were allocated room 1200 – very nice view, near the stairs and lift – but just think if we hadn’t bothered being awkward, I wonder where we would have ended up? Mark my words, stick to your guns! It still wasn’t a twin room – we never got that but hardly important in the scheme of things. I could actually lay in bed and look out to sea! Sleep quality was good – we both enjoyed good night’s sleep as the beds are comfy, however the duvets are a bit small. We weren’t disturbed by the zoo next door …. In fact I would love to know which bird makes the tooting sound.

Air-conditioning was restricted during the first week of our stay so if like me you have long hair I had to get ready between 6 -7 0’clock, using the hair-dryer etc. when the air-con was on – but this was changed during the next week and the air-con was less restricted despite frequent electricity cuts – remember to put the air-con back on when the electricity cut ends!
You are not supplied with many bathroom toiletries but it is usually clean. If you have problems stepping in and out of a bath make sure you mention this when booking as the side of the bath is quite high. The shower pressure was one of the best we have experienced on holiday! The voyeur window can be shut off with the blind!!! ;-)
The mini-fridge is replenished daily and works well, just wish they did more ‘light’ options.

During our two week stay from June 8th – 22nd the weather was mostly glorious, occasional clouds and a few spots of rain, but the humidity was quite high.

In my opinion this hotel can improve by:

• Ensure that guests are accommodated in their stipulated booked room. (We witnessed a number of guests debating with reception staff regarding their rooms!)
• Improving the standard of evening entertainment, which includes nightly live music for dancing. The hotel disco was mostly closed during our stay.
• Facilities being available at stated times
• Updated bathrooms – maybe some with walk-in showers.
• Reception staff with improved English language communication skills
• Efficient Wi-Fi in guest rooms
• Spa staff to be trained to approach guests in an appropriate manner
• Serving more slim-line drinks and supplying sweeteners as well as sugar in restaurants and bars
• Serving better choices of wine
• Make sure the hotel caters to ALL their guests requirements, whichever is their home country

Unusually I was more than ready to return home – I usually have to be dragged away from the pool, but there are only so many late nights of drinking one can take!!

We would be hard-pressed to return to this particular hotel despite the all-inclusive offer being one of the best in our experience, mainly because of the lack of good entertainment, poor location and booking faults.

Trip Advisor score overall very good but location, evening entertainment and management less than good - there isn't an option for what I wanted to convey.

However, maybe we will return to Turkey sometime in the future, but to an alternative area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony that has glass frontage - not the very top floor!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MarilynD90

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was our second visit to Alba Royal and we were not disappointed!
The Hotel had not changed at all with the same very high standards that we experienced last year.
We were allocated a room on the top floor overlooking the sea which I was dubious about initially as we had been told that these rooms were very hot and not very big. However, our worries were unfounded - fantastic views and total privacy on the balcony! The air con was available to use at our own discretion which kept the room cool. Everything spotlessly clean - the maids work tirelessly. Our thanks to the staff both in restaurant and the pool bar and beach bar - special mentions to Aydin, Kerim and Halil as always! Petra who is guest relations was fantastic and constantly ensured that all guests were happy. We had need to use the medical facilities at the hotel due to me getting bad mosquito bites which turned into second degree infections and I can only praise therm for their kindness and efficiency - also not as expensive as we had feared - 145 euro's total for the treatment (out of hours) and then a further 35 Turkish Lira for 4 prescriptions. That is about £9 for 4 items!!
We will be returning for a third visit without hesitation.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view room as otherwise you may get allocated a ground floor room at back of hotel w...
5  Thank Janet R
Reviewed 8 July 2014

After a bad experience in Kusadasi, it's taken us a few years to give Turkey another chance. We travel extensively and have 2 or 3 holidays every year. From all over Europe and as far as the Caribbean.

This hotel is up there with the best. We didn't have any problems with the reception staff, as some reviewers have. The rooms are spotless and if the aircon is on a timer, we never noticed. I did notice how I slept really well from the very first night as the air con was not noisy, just a gentle hum. The shower is great, very powerful.

The food is one of the best we've had outside the Caribbean. There was always load of choice. The salads were delicious, with lots of fresh herbs. You can visit the 3 a la carte restaurants for every week you are there. They aren't always open every night, so we booked them intermittent with the buffet. You can book them at the same time, so you can fit them in to suit. I preferred the fish restaurant ( even though I'm not a big fish eater). I chose the salmon and it was delicious. The wine at the a la carte restaurants is very good for an all inclusive hotel, so give it a go.

Lunch time is buffet again at the main restaurant which for me is very similar to the evening, although my husband liked it. The pool bar do a snack menu with burgers and pizza, salads etc. We didn't try the food here but it looked ok. We spent most lunch times at the beach restaurant and the food was exceptional here. The lemon chicken and choice of a different fish dish every day, probably the most popular.

The waiting staff and bar staff could not be more attentive.

The evening entertainment was a little lacking but we enjoyed chatting and meeting new people, so it didn't bother us. We went out to the local bars on a couple of occasions and usual ended up in Fawlty Friends which is left at the top of the street, just passed the car hire place.

We didn't eat in Side but we chatted to some who did. If you want to do this, speak to the Thomas Cook rep and she can arrange it. The restaurant she recommended picked them up and they were escorted through the hustle of the street traders, which was a nice touch.

My husband was woken up every night by the cockerel at 4am ish. (There is a children's farm area close by). He was not happy!! It woke me too but I soon drifted off to sleep again.

The hotel is very clean, the toilets are checked all the time and I never saw the standards drop once.

There is a good mix of German and English guests and everyone got on well.

If you're looking to book in Turkey, then you will not be disappointed if you choose this hotel. It far exceeded my expectations that's for sure.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SnoweyL
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We went to Alba Royal for 1 week in early June with Thomas Cook. We arrived after midnight and were greeted with smiling faces and some drinks and snacks before being shown to our room. We overlooked the gardens of Alba Resort which had nice palm trees and was quiet enough. The room was very big and clean. We went to the restaurant for a midnight snack and had some chips, sandwiches and salads. The buffet meals each day had so much on offer. The pool bar and beach bar were open all day and you could get pizza/quesadillas/burgers/ice cream etc. Cocktails, beers and wine were served and you were never waiting too long to get served.
We found that the side of the pool closer to the pool bar was a bit more lively than the side closer to the buffet restaurant so that's where we mostly stayed. We played water polo/darts and the entertainment team were brilliant for getting you involved and making sure you have fun.
The beach was usually quite packed but we always found loungers, and there were loads of water activities to do. We did the banana boat (€10 each) and parasailing (€45). I would highly recommend both.
We tried the cuban and seafood a la carte. They were both good and it was nice to sit outside during sunset and look out over the ocean.
The rooms were cleaned like new each day and the fridge was restocked daily.
We went to the spa in the hotel on the first day for a Turkish bath as we were told it would us tan quicker and it would last longer. It was so relaxing and only a little more expensive than going on an excursion for one, which the rep recommends you do.
The evening entertainment isn't the best but it's a bit of fun and you don't have to be involved if you don't want to.
The nightclub was pretty much always empty so don't go in expecting any kind of crazy nightlife... It just doesn't exist.
Overall, we had a great holiday at the Alba Royal. The staff and waiters are always smiling and so helpful. Kazim was especially great, he would go out of his way to make sure everything was great. Cant wait to return!

2  Thank glberz
Reviewed 6 July 2014

As some other reviewers have said, this hotel is definitely not 5 star. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros
- very clean and smart everywhere
- lovely big, quiet pool
- very nice big rooms with big balconies
- food was nice
- it was always possible to find sun beds, just they wouldn't necessarily be prime spot
- the free wifi worked well and was an appreciated bonus

Cons
- the noise! We specifically booked an adults only hotel but our room overlooked the Alba Queen's swimming pool - full of screaming kids! But then we were no doubt better off than those who had a room near the dreaded cockerels!
- the drinks were local, unbranded and the cocktails very poor. Also got sick of Tuborg!
- the service from staff was extremely hit and miss. Some were lovely but some were very dismissive. I watched waiters fawning all over one table and then being very abrupt with the next
- I found the beach too loud and busy and the sea full of kids
- the air con only worked at certain times, which was not great if your timetable didn't match theirs! For example, we were out diving all day so went to dinner a bit later than most, which meant the lack of air con made it almost impossible to style hair or put make-up on
- between 9am and 12pm was the only time available to book the a la carte restaurants. I explained that we were out diving every day so unable to be there at that time. They basically said that was tough. Not very helpful.
- the entertainment at the Alba Queen was extremely loud and right outside our window. Okay it finished by 10.30pm but I want the choice to have peace and quiet if I want it, plus we had to be up very early for diving

I definitely wouldn't return to this hotel. I would prefer to stay in Side, which is really lovely. Definitely make the effort to have a day or night, or two, there, The bus is cheap and frequent.

We did our PADI with Dolphin Diving. They were great but I wish I'd known how far they were from the hotel. We spent 3 hours a day in the transfer minibus with its colony of biting insects!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the cockerels at all costs, but not sure what rooms ARE quiet!
3  Thank vicksg
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

There is no doubt about it, this hotel is geared towards pure indulgence and the only thing stopping me giving it a rating of 5 is the area, constant expectance to tip and the food choice.

Don't get me wrong, food quality and availability was outstanding; presentation was also immaculate, but I don't eat lamb or fish so this was a problem for me at some times, even the burgers at the pool bar were made from lamb. Also anything claiming to be 'ham' at this hotel is not ham as we know it. All the colourful pretty deserts are quite tasteless, but you don't need them as the featured dessert (crepes, waffles, banana flambe, caramel bread and butter pudding) was outstanding every night; this coupled with the delicious fresh fruit and baklava made dessert a treat every night. They do put on pizza, garlic bread, fries, etc to appease those that don't eat fish or lamb and the quality of the food is indeed, very high. We tried the Cuban a la carte and it was just a treat; the salad and orange chicken had me talking for days. Waffles, pancakes, ice cream and a variety of icicles are available at the pool bar throughout the day, which is excellent. The waffles and pancakes are fantastic; a really nice touch. Drinks such as the pepsi and fanta often tasted watered down however, while the alcoholic ones tasted completely right. If you get a chance, head down to the beach bar and sample the lemon chicken or if you are a fish lover, the fish of the day. My boyfriend constantly complained about small bones being in the fish however. Breakfast is a fantastic spread: meats, cheese, a coffee machine, machines to make freshly squeezed orange juice, hot and cold breakfast items, omlettes made to order and the all important pancakes, which are delicious by the way.

The area of Colakli is not that nice. I would recommend taking the bus for €1.75 to Antik Side if you like history or archaeology like I do, it is stunning. The trip to Perge, Aspendos and Kurnusulu waterfall is also worth it. Do not venture down to the Colakli bazaar unless you want to be thoroughly ripped off or coerced into buying the same rubbish everywhere. If you want to buy quality items at a good price then go on the Antalya shopping and sites excursion and thank me later. The hotel beach is also really nice, lots of water sports and beds in and out of the shade to suit everyone. No restraunts or anything close by in Colakli so you do rely on the hotel in this respect. We went on 4 day excursions: Troy waterpark, Antalya shopping and highlights, Perge etc. and a Manavgat cruise and shopping experience: the food was included but absolutely awful at all of them. You have been warned. Definitely go see Fire of Anatolia if you like theatre performances or co-ordinated dance, it was amazing.

The last negative I forgot to mention above is not entirely directed at the hotel, but at a member of staff. To work in that position, they really must require a good grasp of the English language, but she misled us completely which caused a lot of trouble for us. Basically, this lady (a doctor working at the hotel) told us to come to the doctor at, ''20 o'clock'' which of course, to us, meant 8. She actually meant 20 minutes, and this was 11:30 in the morning. As you can imagine, a bit of a disaster. The rest of the staff at this hotel are fantastic and dedicated and the hotel is lovely and clean. Get a sea view room as the view is just gorgeous. Pool area and pool is lovely and clean. The beer on tap is tuborg, by the way.

The spa is luxurious; they will try and sell you a whole package of massages however. The turkish bath is a must. The rooms in the hotel are spacious and clean. The shower is fantastic and the beds are extremely comfy. Air con was always on at the right moments and there are only like 3 english channels available.

On a side note, for any animal lovers out there, there is an adorable family of kittens living in the bushes outside the indoor pool, near the outside spa beds. The mum cat is black and you will see her wandering around. Bring some food to the kittens if you are going in the near future as they are adorable and add a lovely charm to the hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Cawatt
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Spent two weeks at this resort and can say that it was a lovely place, but no where close to being five star. It is a very clean spotless place. The cleaners must work so hard. Our room cleaner left our room like new everyday.

Facilities within the hotel very lacking no real activities bowling ally broken throughout our whole stay. Pool activities the same morning and afternoon aqua gym or polo. Like other reviews on this site, be prepared to get up early if you want a sun bed. We witnessed one group of our European cousins putting down towels at just gone midnight, so forget the 8am rule. The pool is nice and clean and lovely to swim in.

Food is plentiful and is quite varied so always something to choose, puddings and take this from someone with a very sweet tooth, were awful tasteless mush. So take a wide berth. Plentiful fruit to choose and the fresh oranges at breakfast certainly started the day off right.

Night Entertainment is dreadful and is geared up totally for the German guests. They have live music two nights a week, and both bands sing pretty much in German, and the English songs are barely recognisable. These music nights should stay in East Germany before the wall came down. A very poor showing for a so called five star resort.

To sum up if your holiday is just about sitting around a pool in the hot sun then this resort is for you. If you want a bit of an atmosphere then there are other resorts. Feel a bit mislead by Thomas cook holidays. Overall very clean resort, good food, friendly staff (the ones who understand English) great pool beach close a little crowded. Great history in Side town but not five Star !!! Would go back to turkey, but doubt would choose this resort again

14  Thank Neil M