“Honest travel agent review: 4/5. Great hotel if they have a room for you!!!”
Review of Alba Queen Hotel

Alba Queen Hotel
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Colakli
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed at this property on the 31st of July 2014 for 11 nights. I stayed with my girlfriend and 14 others (Large family booking!)

Bad Bits

Arrival
On arrival to the hotel (early hours) we were really disappointed with the service of the reception staff. My booking was perfectly ok BUT 3 bookings that had more than 2 in a room had serious problems. E.g : One of the group who had 2 Adults and 2 Children (15,10) had no room and was forced to stay at the sister property the Alba Royal and told go down in the morning and there room with sea view would be 100% be ready. After they were transferred to the hotel, they went to the room and it had only two single beds (Twin), when they went to the reception they told them that the children should SLEEP ON THE FLOOR for the night whilst laughing. So another trip to reception and managed to get a camp bed between the 2 children (not ideal).
After 3 hours sleep, they went down to reception and the room wasn’t still ready. They had to move back to the Alba Queen in the wrong room type again for another day and finally after 3 days into the holiday they got the sea view large family room they paid for.

Thomas Cook Travel Representative
Caroline Averiss (Thomas Cook Rep) was absolutely useless. She had no control over the hotel at all and it seemed the reception staff / management didn’t take her serious. The above family got offered an excursion as compensation and no apology and said it happens all the time. The paperwork wasn’t posted to the room as promised and we had to tackle her on the last day during the meeting to force her to give us the correct paperwork for complaints back in the UK.

Rooms
During the stay we must have seen 10-15 families sleeping in the reception due to overbooking’s etc. Same excuses from the reception staff after speaking to a few people.
From my 12 years independent travel agency experience, Thomas Cook should place this hotel on stop sale and transfer a number of bookings to other hotels for the time being. I understand that the hotel is under new management and the ODD overbooking can happen in any hotel, but this is an ongoing problem with this hotel.

Sunbed wars
It is very difficult to get a sunbed at this hotel; we found that you had to get up at 5.30-5:45 to get a sunbed. If you were just a couple needing 2 sunbeds i reckon by 6:30am you wouldn’t have a chance and be forced to head to the beach. We witnessed a fight between 2 guys and involved the police. So if you want a bed get up early ha ha.

Good Bits

Room
I stayed in room number 2355 which is a pool view room with a massive king sized bed. i would pay the pool view supplement if you can. The none pool view rooms overlook the road / other hotel! The room was always perfectly clean and cleaned every morning without fail. There is a switch in the room that either lights up green or red on the outside of the room to let the maid know if your room wants cleaning or not. The room had a flat screen TV with 60 ish channels (About 5 English).

Staff
All the staff are fantastic (Except reception!). All spoke really good english, professional and can have great laugh. Fatma is a credit to the hotel and was always at hand no matter what you want. The waiters in the hotel were also very very good. The entertainment team were fantastic and always had a variety of activities. (Shooting, Darts, water polo, competitions ..)

Food and drink
I cant believe that some people are moan about the food at this property in previous reviews. I highly rated the food. Meats: Steak, grilled chicken, chicken skewers, rabit, turkey etc. Very varied, loads of salads, fish, fresh bakery etc. The only thing i would say is not to go to the main restaurant at 7.30pm as its really busy.

Hotel
As you can see in my pictures the hotel is extremely clean and modern. About 10 shops are located when you turn left out of the hotel with all the usual bags etc. We found a restaurant called Faulty Friends which was fantastic and we were treated like royalty. Good entertainment on karaoke night too! Defiantly worth a visit and you won’t be disappointed.

I can honestly say that this is a good choice for a hotel near Side. I would defiantly head back to this hotel again but maybe at a different time of year.

Room Tip: 2355 was a pool view , 1477 was a full sea view family room (Stunning room)
5  Thank travelagentdean
There are newer reviews for Alba Queen Hotel

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Before booking our holiday we spent some considerable time reviewing our options and where drawn to the Alba Queen based on the many positive reviews the hotel had received on trip advisor last summer. Although we had a fabulous time with our friends and family we would not consider returning to the Alba Queen next year.

The basis of our dissatisfaction is value for money, we waited all year in anticipation of a 5 star holiday but unfortunately certain factors spoiled what otherwise would have been top notch.

1) Lack of sunbeds & lack anyone policing the reservation of sunbeds. No space around the pool areas, unless you are willing to wake up at 5-6am each day you can’t get a sunbed.
2) Reception staff, very poor attitude and very poor communication in English.
3) Entertainment simply wasn’t entertaining.
4) Wi-Fi was rubbish
5) The issue of overbooking did created a bit of a funny atmosphere, lots of stories from other families who had been shipped out to other hotels or been given small rooms. We actually considered ourselves lucky for getting our family room after one and a half days in a standard room.

On a positive note the hotel and rooms were very clean and well maintained by the cleaning staff. The food on offer was also very good and the restaurant staff did a sterling job. The pool layout is brilliant and you have a good view of all areas from the sunbeds – making it easy to keep track on the whereabouts of the kids.

What a shame, we had a great time but were left somewhat underwhelmed by the resort, certainly not 5 star service on this showing.

1  Thank FishnChips2014
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Arrived early hours of the morning to be told that we didn't have the room we had paid £300 supplement for. To be honest, observing how others were treated, we were one of the lucky ones to have a room on arrival. Overbooking was happening for the full two weeks of our stay. We booked 12 months in advance.

Following regular visits to reception throughout the night and at 6am the next morning, and with the help of Carolyn the rep (who was great) we eventually got the room we paid for on the afternoon of our second day and we could finally unpack, relax and start our holiday.

Positives: Food very good, waiting staff excellent - particularly those in the pool bar, room, pool and all areas of hotel very clean and well maintained, slides, beach, wellness spa, fresh pool/beach towels provided, view from the balcony. A la Carte a nice change but not Thai. However, stll good and service excellent. Ice creams 2-4pm.

Negatives: Scrums in the dining room at mealtimes, WiFi - hardly worked, entertainment team tried but wasn't much for children aged 10+, having to beat the pool staff and other guests to reserve a sunbed. Even at 5:45am half the pool had been reserved despite the no reserving until 8am notice. Transfer from airport longer than advertised 1 hour 20 mins but bearable. Being abruptly told to leave the room even though we had a late check out.

All in all, relaxing, enjoyable holiday, met some great families with children. Not much to do outside of the hotel - not really anywhere to walk or for a change of scene but far too hot anyway.

Definitely recommend the Turkish bath (Hammas) and Side was worth a visit (about 15 mins away)

Would I recommend - yes, but only if they sorted out their attitude to overbooking and the way guests are treated when this happens.

Shame because I believe from guests who have stayed in previous years that the entertainment and hotel was of a much better standard than it is now.

Room Tip: Worth the extra supplement for the larger sea view rooms
2  Thank ShezH222
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I'd like to start by saying we had a great family holiday, but add that this was DESPITE the hotels efforts. Many of our experiences were exceptional and we could not fault the bar and restaurant staff. Our children also had a fab time playing with the lifeguard, although I can appreciate that some would see his behaviour as a little full on. They loved him pinching their ball and pushing them into the pool, but again this is not for everyone! It was a shame that this seemed to be the only "entertainment" provided for older children!

Our issues started on arrival at midnight. We discovered that they had no room for us, and moved us to the Alba Resort (It seems from other reviews that we were fortunate to get this!) We figured that at midnight it was not worth arguing and decided to take this up with the rep in the morning. What was most frustrating was that neither reception at the Queen or at the Resort seemed to appreciate the upset that this caused, and to me were not at all apologetic. As someone who works all year to pay for the annual holiday in the sun, I expect what I have paid for, and would expect hotel reception staff in any country to appreciate this. On top of this we were woken at 4am by a porter trying to put another family into the room we had been put into!

The following morning I took the hotel towels (which were brown) up to the Alba Queen pool (where the towels are blue) and laid by the pool as we were assured the night before we would be moved into this hotel on this day. When I left my wife and children to go to find the rep, I later discovered that the pool staff tried to throw us out as our towels indicated we should be in the Alba Resort! To cut a long story short by 2pm that day the rep and I had managed to secure a family room (a large bed for the wife and myself, sofa beds for the kids) with a view over the pool (obscured by a large tree but you could see the pool through the leaves!). This was with a promise of a free safe (why isn't this free already?), late check out (to be honest for us that was/is always a HUGE bonus) and a bottle of champagne (sparkling wine) on our wedding anniversary. I know some will (and should) push for more compensation, but we were satisfied as we had already begun to enjoy our holiday.

We interacted with reception on two more occasions and on both occasions the service was poor. Firstly I went in the morning to inform them that the telephone in our room kept ringing every couple of hours, until it was answered (of course there was nobody there). I gave them the rest of the day to fix this and then disconnected the phone, as it had woken me up twice the night before. Secondly we received a call (on the other room phone) at 12.30 on the day of checkout telling us that we were late checking out. I informed them of the late checkout arrangement and then had to go to reception again to sort this out! They claimed to have no knowledge of this arrangement but thankfully I had paperwork, signed by the hotels guest relations manager, to prove this.

Then came the bottle of "champagne"! This was already in a bucket chilling when we arrived at the thai a la carte. The waiter assured me it was "champagne", until I pointed out that it had "Cider, apple wine" written on the bottle. Thankfully I had noted the name of the sparkling wine sold in the hotel, and was able to ask of this by name which then arrived, but not chilled.

The arrival aside these were all minor concerns and we continued to enjoy holiday. I mentioned the bar and restaurant staff already and they really were fab. Of course we tipped them, but I would like to add that we witnessed them treating children who were dining alone in the pool bar in exactly the same manner as they did when parents and adults were present. Special thanks to Hakan in the restaurant, our glasses of red and white wine were on the table almost before our bottoms were on the chair!

You do have to get up early to get a sunbed. We don't enjoy this but to be honest, everywhere we have been in the last few years this has been the case. The best way I have seen this managed elsewhere is where if the towels are left UNATTENDED before 8am the towels are removed. Personally, I like laying by the pool at this time anyway, a coffee and book is all I need!

The main restaurant is busy, REALLY busy but manageable. You just have to look where you are going! I despair of comments regarding "lack of english food". If you want english food, go to a B & B in Skegness for your holidays. The dishes are similar daily as stated, but we did not feel that these were always the same. We always found something we enjoyed, and as with every holiday, encouraged our children to try the turkish dishes as well. We tried both a la carte restaurants during our holiday and whilst we were non plussed by the fish, we loved the Thai. Well worth a visit.

Entertainment in the evening was limited. We watched the shows as our children wanted to, and these were enjoyable for the children. I would add that the Lion King show really showed the efforts that the kids club team put in with the younger children, and the children really seemed to be having a brilliant time! The rest of the entertainment during the day was lacking somewhat, and the entertainment team were not a patch on previous teams I have enjoyed holidays with. Apart from the 10 o'clock walk around the pool we barely saw them away from the pool bar, with the exception of Baris.

To summise we made our holiday what it was and had a fab time as a family. We made good friends (on the first day with another family who had not got the room they had PAID EXTRA for!) and had a memorable holiday for lots of good reasons. I judge a hotel however by whether I would encourage family and friends to visit, and the answer to this is no. I hope that the hotel reads these comments and realises that, although we are only guests, we are in fact PAYING guests.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Tony G
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Our 5th visit and last. palmed off with a poor room for 2 days before the room we booked became available.. good service by resturant staff only because they remembered us. The staff are devastated by the changes that have been made by the new management. very clean resort.. Food was very good. Bar staff poor, if your not a female between 13 and 20 you get blanked and we had to have a row with a waiter for asking my 13 year old daughter east she was doing later and did she want to meet him. stay clear for s few years till they have sorted themselves out.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Stiggy321
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Firstly let me state that we stayed in the Alba resort 2 years ago and were impressed with the service, food and especially the entertainment. We therefore thought that we would return but this time upgrade to the Alba Queen. That was a big mistake!
We had paid for a superior room with a seaview but upon arrivalat approx 12.30am following a discussion between the reception staff(in Tukish so we could not understand) we were taken to our room. On the way the 'porter' tried to convince us that the room we were taken to had a sea view and was one of the superior rooms. To be fair you could see the sea, if you stood on a chair or had a neck like a giraffe! The room was smaller than the room we had satyed in at the resort 2 years earlier and was in no way a superior room. Althoiugh at first we could not see anything as the card reader which powers the electricity in the room was not working, so we were asked to return to the bar for a drink while it got fixed. We returnrd to the reception where they stated that our superior room would be available the next morning and a note was put in the night book (in pencil). we spent the night in the smaller room and returned to the recption in the morning to find that they knew nothing about our issue and the note had been erased from the night book! We were again informed that we would have a room at midday, after 12noon check out. I returned at 11am and stated that i wanted to put my cases in the room, to ensure that this was not given to someone else in the interim period. altough they were not happy they agreed and we moved our cases. upon arrival at the superior room we were then informed that the 3rd bed would be avery small pull out armchair bed. As our daugter is over 12 we again requested a 3rd bed and was given what can only be descride as a camp bed with a very thin mattress. The plus side was the view from the balcony, this was excellent and worth the extra supplement. After speaking to numerous other parties staying at the hotel about our room issue we realisedthat we had actually been one of the 'lucky' ones as stories of seperated families, nights spent on hotel recption sofas, children being asked to sleep on the floor and numerous parties being moved to the sister hotels.
The pool area is quite large but ther is not enough space for the large number of people in the hotel. Be aware should you wish to get a poolside sunbed that you will need to be up well before the sun/birds and the pool guys who take great pleasure in lining their own pockets to reserve beds for those willing to part with 50 euros for 14 days. Even when you do actually beat the pool guys this does not guarentee that they will not remove your towels and replace them with their 'customers'. We had been advised that we must put the hotel blue towels on the sunbeds to reserve them, which is hotel policy. We did this and also put our own towels at the foot of the beds but on the 3rd day 2 of our towels disappeared, never to be seen again. we were informedby a witness that these had been removed by the pool guy as he needed 2 of our beds for his regular customers. This fell on deaf ears on numerous occasions at both reception and the not so freindly customer relations staff, who seemed more concerned in informing me that the hotel stafff were not poor and did not need to steal towels! After the 4-5 o'clock morning start for the sunbeds you may need a little cat nap after breakfast (more on breakfast later) but the hotel seem to think that everyone in the hotel wants to listen to the entertainment team commentating on their actions in the pool bar area while playing music as loud as a night at the ministry of sound! this went on at various times throughout the day and did not finish until approx 10.30pm. Then the dicso music started. The pool and the pool bar is open 24 hours and on most nights you can still hear some form of drunken rowdiness as you get up to put the towels down! the slides are only open for odd hours and although there are lifeguards on duty there seems to be no real control over the safe use of the slides and I am amazed that there was only minor accidents in the 2 weeks I was there. We watched for approx 30 minutes one day while the lifeguard attemted to mend the hand rail which had been steadily getting looser every day until finally giving in to the strain of the youngsters using it to get out of the pool. In teh end a member of the public removed all the potruding nuts nad bolts from the bottom of the pool. This still had not been replaced on the day I left, & days later.
The food/restaurant. the 1st test was getting a table. As statedby numerous people the hotel was oversubscribed but for some reason tyhe hotel staff deemed that they only needed to open 2 of the 3 interior dining areas for breakfast and lunch so nowhere near enough tables were available. The actual area where the food was situated resembled a school dinner hall with people everywhere most not bothering that there was a queue. The breakfast food was repeated every day. The lunch in the restaurant appeared to be a curried/gulash/minced up version of the previous nights meal, which in most part was inedible the night before. The soup/bread and chips were in most part my stable diet for the whole stay. The sweets, although well presented were full of oil and left a bitter taste. The waiting staff worked hard from dawn to dusk and deserve better support from the management.
The 'entertainment' (never was a word so incorrectly used) was poor to say the least. This was the biggest let down on the holiday as it was one of the major factors in our return to the Alba hotels.

the Wi-Fi when it worked was worse than the old style dial up connection and this should be struck from the hotel description.

To sum up,as with the whole of the Cholakli/Side area everthing from the football kits to the jewellery seems to be a fake and i believe that the many awards and 5 stars that hang at the entrance to the recption are the biggest fake item in town! This is a 3/4 star at best.

This has not only put us of going back to an Alba hote, it has put us of Turkey altogether.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
7  Thank john_stimmo
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just come back from 11 night holiday would not come back again. When we arrived the hotel was overbooked so no room for us, we we're put in Alba Royal for 1 night but this was adult only and our son is 12 and we're told by rep not to unpack. The next day we did'nt get our room till after 4pm so 2 days of holiday missed. Hotel full of Germans could'nt get sun beds round pool although 1 morning we set our alarm to get sun beds when we went down the Germans had taken towel off one our beds. Food in hotel was same most days and was like a feeding frenzy when restaurant opened. Absolute shambles from start to finish.

Room Tip: Just being able to get a room when you've booked a year in advance would be a start!!!
5  Thank Marie B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colakli
SENTIDO Turan Prince
#6 of 44 in Colakli
VONRESORT Golden Coast
VONRESORT Golden Coast
#10 of 44 in Colakli

Been to Alba Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!