“An oasis in our holidays and a WONDER”

Musee Christian Dior
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Granville
More attraction details
Owner description: Dior's childhood mansion with a restored garden.
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We went to Granville in order to visit the Musée Dior and were agreeably surprised by the wonderful garden, an oasis of peace and colors after much driving to get there. You need a car and a GPS to reach this place away from the city centre, located in a residential area. Parking is free of charge.

At 11 o'clock we were nearly alone there and didn't have to wait. We enjoyed first the garden, the view of the cliff, the roses...

Then we visited the exhibition, which pleased more my wife than me. At 12, the tea room opened outside, so my daughter and I went there to wait on the assiduous other half.

And then a WONDER took place in my day, materialized by a pistache macaron. Served with the espresso I had ordered, this two colorful crisp cups (one green, the other pink) were separated by four raspberries and pistaccio cream. Exquisite to the eye, it was a fireworks to the palate. You have to have one! This and the peace of the garden...

Another suggestion: on the cliff side there is a gate leading to stairs. If you're up to it, walk all the way down and enjoy the sea without sandy beach. At low/mid tide there are nice rocks to explore with a child, and you will discover millions of mussels, scallops, etc stuck to the rocks and in the little ponds.

1  Thank YannickB69
in 6 reviews
"interesting museum"
"his life"
in 4 reviews
"wonderful place to visit"
"haute couture"
"collection"
in 9 reviews
"childhood"

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Driving through Granville we saw the signs directing you to the Christian Doir museum, working in the fashion industry this was of interest to us, upon finding this attraction there was no parking facilities, there is a small car park a short walk away. The house did not open until 2pm so we did not go inside but the gardens are beautiful with a fantastic view of the sea.

2  Thank carol b
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Christain Dior grew up in this pretty house overlooking the sea - a garden has been created to emphasise the links between art and perfume and the house contains a number of his creations plus an exhibition of fashion photographs. We had to wait to gain entrance as only 50 visitors are allowed at any time - we arrived after a group of students. Sadly the Salon de The was not open but we wandered round the garden. The dresses on show are fantastic and the photo's move from crisp black and white shots to some quite surreal colour shoots. We liked the black and white phot's best and felt they showed off the clothing better too.
Access is really strange - we arrived via the local cemetary and left down steep stairs in the cliff to the Granville seaside!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Seven years ago I read an article in a woman's magazine about this museum and decided that one day I'm going there. It may have been 7 yrs but I got there. Travelled on my own and loved it.

1  Thank Sally T
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The house is called Rhumbas and over the years of living here I have been to several exhibitions there . It was the house that Christian Dior grew up in and has great views over the sea. Well worth a visit! One word of advice "Cars" in french can mean coaches and the sign saying 'Parking Cars ' means buses there are lots of little lanes around the house to park a nice morning visit the off to my favourit creperie in the old town enjoy!

1  Thank alex t