“Great location spotty service.”

Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sweimah
Reviewed 13 September 2011

First I will say that our trip happened as the tourist industry was taking a major hit. Almost every hotel we stayed in during our 5 day trip had scaled back in one way or another.
Kempinski did the same and it seems that they closed the main building and were placing all guests in the resort section of the hotel.

This was a huge Plus for the guests. the rooms were spacious and had balconies with views of the dead sea. Our friends room had a patio which led directly to the pool, just awesome. The hotel grounds are full of lush plant life.

the Staff at the front desk and in the main buildings were all very professional and made us feel welcome. Now to the down-side

The service staff in the resort section were very I can only describe it as "grumpy" I was taking some photos of the grounds and decided that I didn't want a lounge chair in my photo. when I moved it the pool guard came by and started placing it back right in the middle of my picturetaking. when I asked him to leave it alone he did not do much more than grunt and stood in my frame. I had to be a bit rude myself and motion him out of my way before he remembered that he was there to provide service to guests and not to police me.

On to the poolside restaurant. we were having a decent time ordering and eating when our server let us know that we had 15 minutes to finish or move to another table. They also came by and wanted to swap out our wine glasses for plastic cups right in the middle of dinner. The waitress was unsuccessful in making us understand what was going on so another male waiter came buy and explained what was happening. They were getting ready to close the restaurant soon and they were starting to get everything ready for the next day.
The real issue being that there was a midnight bus that takes the staff home and if they miss that then they are stuck waiting until 2am for the next bus. I was further told that in the past they had more than one shift of staff and this would not have been an issue.
We felt bad for the staff but we also felt that as paying guests, our experience should not be diminished by poor management. Certainly our food bill was not any cheaper so this was annoying to me.

I have stayed at Kempinski Palace in Djibouti, Africa and I have to say that the Hotel brand certainly has a grand style and their properties make you feel like you just stepped into your own personal estate. I will say that this place would be my choice if I return to the dead sea. I hope that next time, business has picked up enough that their staff is not so stressed out.

Room Tip: get a view of the dead sea. the grounds are extensive and it took a golf cart ride to get to our ro...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I am a usual guest of Marriott Hotel in Dead Sea, taking a suggestion of an Iraqi Friend in Jordan, I decided to try this new hotel. I was very disappointed. It all started with the booking of two rooms, with additional bed for a child . Upon arrival in the reception , I noticed the hotel was overbooked, they had not prepared my rooms , and I had to wait until 3 pm before I received my second room. They said that check in time was at 3 pm, while check out at 12 noon, I asked for a late check out and they did not give me. While checking out , I noticed that they were giving a late check out for another guest, by the way he was shouting , while I was polite and educated, this means ... use your voice!!!!! The website promotes the kids club , as a complementary service, while you have to pay 12 jd per children!!!! The swimming pools are designed for adults, there is no entertainment, definitely it is not a family hotel! We paid JD 40 (almost 60 US) for a barbecue dinner that was not worth it. To use the SPA you have to pay 45 JD! I had to wait 3 hours before I could get a towel and more than mid day to get a chair on the swimming pool. We could not wait until this bad experience weekend was over.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Brazukajo
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Worth staying at just once, if not for the spectacle of it. Outside food is embargoed and food/service is 3-star at best.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We spent just 1 night at this fantastic hotel and really wished we had stayed longer.
The room was spacious and comfortable , the bathroom lovely and a terrace with views to one of the many pools ,the perfect place for a pre dinner drink.
The main infinity pool was so nice especially in the morning before it was too busy. There are so many pools that you could always find a sun bed somewhere.
The hotel was very busy when we visited (Eid holidays) but this did not detract from an enjoyable visit. Breakfast was exceptional with an amazing array and choice, bucks fizz was a great touch as were the spectacular views on the terrace.
We ate at the Italian restaurant which was relaxed and tables by the pool enabled us to make the most of the fabulous sunset. We were sad to leave and will definitely be back

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeborahJ
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I just got back from a weekend trip to dead sea , I booked online directly from the hotel’s website and got a great offer since I booked 3 days ahead, I paid 121++ JOD for a superior room at the main building which was less than any of the other five-star hotels in the area. This was our first stay at this hotel.

Pros. Amazing infinity pools, the pools are so well designed that each pool gives you a complete different experience, so make sure to try all of the five pools. Food is amazing everywhere and complimentary arrival drink, mini bar and the free cold water bottles given at the pool and upon departure were all lovely gestures. We even received a toy camel for our sun upon arrival. Anyhow everything related to this hotel was really good.

Cons. to access most places its quite of walk and stairs that you need to take, so you either wait for the electric cars or u have to carry the stroller over the stairs, if u have a baby or have a wheelchair then its recommended u take the rooms at Ishtar building (which are about double the price!) most of the staff were very helpful and professional were some were a clear joke. The major unpleasant thing ( reaosn i didn't rate it as "Excellent" ) we faced was the AC, the room was freezing at night and the control unit wasn’t responding, I called the maintenance and they set the temperature to 25 and assured me that it is working properly but it was just impossible to get the temperature above 21 Celsius although outside it was like 30 Celsius at night, I had the terrace door open all night and woke up with room temperature of 20.5 Celsius. We had to cover our boy's crib with towels to block the AC's blowing and once we got home most of us weren’t feeling well and seems like we got a cold.

Anyhow, overall it’s by far the best hotel at Dead Sea (Jordanian side) and I can say that because I have stayed at them all. I am sure that all my next trips to Dead Sea will be to this hotel until something new opens :) .

God bless Jordan and its jewel the Dead Sea

Room Tip: Amazing hotel ... but expect allot of stairs and lifts if you book at the main building
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I have been to several hotels in the Dead Sea but this is by far the best of them. Rooms are spacious and very well designed with a private balcony (I believe all the rooms have a sea view). There are many pools but the main one is superb with a panoramic, great view on the dead sea. Unfortunately, i didn't have enough time to try the food but i heard it is OK. Definitely stay there if you are going to the dead sea. Price wise, it is more expansive than the surrounding hotels but the hotel is value for money.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Went there last week for two nights with kids and problems started immediately upon arrival and never stopped.

- security didn't allow kids food in
- rooms where not ready and only got it at 5pm.
- went to main pool before checking in and they said will call you once rooms are ready but they never did.
- noon time we couldn't find seats at main pool with kids. Adult pool was empty and full of seats but they didn't allow us to use it nor moving it to main pool.
- after 5 pm we got rooms and they where dirty and had to call maintenance for two rooms. Tv and refrigerator didn't work for full night.
- inside room everything is dangerous for kids with lots of harmful edges.
- stairs and stairs and stairs. No place for strollers or wheelchairs.
- club cars takes 15 minutes to reach you.

The only good thing was food at
main restaurant it was great.

Diffenatly no value for money specially for families.

nemri7@gmail.com

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank nemri7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sweimah
Crowne Plaza Jordan - Dead Sea Resort & Spa
Ma'In Hot Springs
Ma'In Hot Springs
#1 of 1 in Ma'in
Four Seasons Hotel Amman

Been to Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea? Share your experiences!