“Fantastic Hotel”

Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sweimah
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We had a terrific stay for four nights at this Hotel. My wife and I were sceptical, based on few reviews on tripadvisor.

We were pleasantly surprised that the experience was near perfect. The concierge, the restaurants, the pool staff, the spa everything was perfect.

The hotel under the able Manager Masami-san is a highly recommended place.

Room Tip: The Villa rooms are the best since they offer easy access to pools also the dead sea
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,839)

Reviewed 23 September 2011

We absolutely loved our stay at the Kempinski. The hotel was gorgeous and the staff was top notch. I know there have been numerous complaints about the lack of service, but if there was ever an issue they have addressed it and completely turned things around. They could not do enough for us. From the concierge to the restaurant servers and everyone in between, they were attentive and professional.

Our room was in the main building and it was lovely. The complimentary bar was a nice touch and our views of the Dead Sea were superb. I wish we could have been in the villas. They seemed to be in closer proximity to the pools and restaurants, but it's an easy walk down to the beach. And they also provide golf carts for those that are feeling a bit lazier.

As a rule, I usually don't like hotel restaurants. We tried the pizza place by the infinity pool one day. It was ok. Then we sat on the terrace one night and had mezzes, which were tasty. Breakfast was a highlight. I've never seen such a buffet and it kept us full through the late afternoon. There is a restaurant near the Holiday Inn called Vis a Vis and that was pretty good. We didn't try the spa, which I heard was fantastic.

But the pools and access to the Dead Sea were great and the vats of mud available on the beach were convenient for guests. Book your room! I wish I could go back now and I only checked out a week ago:)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2011

One of the best hotels I have stayed in.

Very nice facilities, good food, dead sea, nice power shower :) and worth staying for a few days. SPa is pricey but you only live once.

Slightly overpriced for a rom too, but these guys know that and they dont care to be honest. Will definately go back one day soon...

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stunning hotel, amazing location, amazing facilities with biggest spa in the middle east, beautiful rooms with massive bathrooms and balcony. Food slightly overpriced, however had the most amazing tuna tartar one night. The service can be a bit slow, especially at Breakfast, however it is one of the most stunning, relaxing hotels I have ever stayed at!! Well done!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed here for two nights on our honeymoon on a stop over to Aqaba.

All I can say is thank you so much! It was exquisite.

I had purchased a basic room as this was a stop over and we had a limited budget for the honeymoon. I tried on two occasions to contact the hotel before hand about the possibility of buying some extras to treat my new wife e.g. flowers for the room. Sadly they never responded which disappointed me....

This disappointment, however, was short lived as having arrived someone had clearly read my email as we were congratulated and upgraded to an amazing room overlooking a private pool, as we stepped into the room a bath had been run for us with dead salts in, the perfect temperature.

The bed was made into the shape of a heart with hundreds of little fresh flower heads and there was complimentary chocolate cake and treats for us from the room service (the Arabic pastries being probably the nicest things I have ever eaten!)

The hotel was beautiful, the staff were wonderful at all times. The breakfast buffet was lovely.

In a word everything exceeded my every expectation.

Ironically when we later went to stay in Movenpick in Aqaba where I had foolishly spent most of our budget buying a junior suite, I found the hotel and service no where near as high a standard as the Kempinski at Ishtar, and my only regret from the whole honeymoon is that I didn't book Kempinski all the way....

Thank you Kempinski for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Accompanied with my family, I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and extended it for one more night. It was a great experience where the staff were so nice and gentle. There are several excellent facilities such that I could not try them all. Initially, I was worried that the hotel is isolated from every where else, i.e. far from city and the weather was hot. However, it turned to be one of the most exciting trips and especially for my 6-year old girl. She repeatedly said she wants to go back to enjoy the pools. Staff, rooms, restaurants, comfort, luxury, quietness, cleanliness, service were all perfect. I highly recommend this hotel for singles, couples, and families. Price was really worth it.

Room Tip: I tried a Superior Room which was at the large far building and was so nice. We got 2 LCD's and...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2011

First I will say that our trip happened as the tourist industry was taking a major hit. Almost every hotel we stayed in during our 5 day trip had scaled back in one way or another.
Kempinski did the same and it seems that they closed the main building and were placing all guests in the resort section of the hotel.

This was a huge Plus for the guests. the rooms were spacious and had balconies with views of the dead sea. Our friends room had a patio which led directly to the pool, just awesome. The hotel grounds are full of lush plant life.

the Staff at the front desk and in the main buildings were all very professional and made us feel welcome. Now to the down-side

The service staff in the resort section were very I can only describe it as "grumpy" I was taking some photos of the grounds and decided that I didn't want a lounge chair in my photo. when I moved it the pool guard came by and started placing it back right in the middle of my picturetaking. when I asked him to leave it alone he did not do much more than grunt and stood in my frame. I had to be a bit rude myself and motion him out of my way before he remembered that he was there to provide service to guests and not to police me.

On to the poolside restaurant. we were having a decent time ordering and eating when our server let us know that we had 15 minutes to finish or move to another table. They also came by and wanted to swap out our wine glasses for plastic cups right in the middle of dinner. The waitress was unsuccessful in making us understand what was going on so another male waiter came buy and explained what was happening. They were getting ready to close the restaurant soon and they were starting to get everything ready for the next day.
The real issue being that there was a midnight bus that takes the staff home and if they miss that then they are stuck waiting until 2am for the next bus. I was further told that in the past they had more than one shift of staff and this would not have been an issue.
We felt bad for the staff but we also felt that as paying guests, our experience should not be diminished by poor management. Certainly our food bill was not any cheaper so this was annoying to me.

I have stayed at Kempinski Palace in Djibouti, Africa and I have to say that the Hotel brand certainly has a grand style and their properties make you feel like you just stepped into your own personal estate. I will say that this place would be my choice if I return to the dead sea. I hope that next time, business has picked up enough that their staff is not so stressed out.

Room Tip: get a view of the dead sea. the grounds are extensive and it took a golf cart ride to get to our ro...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sweimah
Crowne Plaza Jordan - Dead Sea Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ma'in
Ramada Resort Dead Sea
Ramada Resort Dead Sea
#8 of 9 in Sweimah

Been to Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea? Share your experiences!