“Pretty good, but could be better”

Good Time Resort Koh Mak
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Ko Mak
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed at the Good Time Resort on Koh Mak mid February and overall we enjoyed the stay.

Good Time Management arranged car parking for us on the mainland, as well as the high speed power boat to the island. My understanding is there are both powerboat and slower diesel boats that service the island: take the powerboat as its 55 minutes at around 40 knots, the slow boat would be over 2 hours. Again, ask GT Management to book the boat: it was full to capacity we noticed both coming and going.

We were picked up and taken to the resort by the resort car, and enjoyed our first views of Koh Mak. Living in Thailand we are constantly looking for the perfect island getaway, and think we have come close to finding it at Koh Mak. Its quiet, peaceful, uncrowded, and slightly eccentric, with 24 hour power and good internet and cell phone service. Pretty much the best of both worlds. Not many taxi's are on the island: Maybe a dozen we saw. So it pays to be able to ride a motor scooter with some competence, as much of the island is on red clay dirt roads and are a bit rough. Not a problem on a scooter if you ride a bit, maybe a bit more difficult if you don't and I can imagine it would be pretty slippery and trecherous riding in the wet season.

We were met at the resort by Michael the manager, a genial and genuine host who seems to love where he is and what he is doing. Good Time Resort if not the biggest on the island in terms of actual land area must be close to the biggest. It is well spread out, with houses far more seperate than you would expect to see even in suburban locations in most parts of the world. The gardens and trees add to the feeling of being private, and all in all the first impression is correct: Good Time is tranquil and private.

The houses are excellent, with a top story Sala (Gazebo) that becomes the refuge in hot afternoons, after swimming or snorkelling. The rooms them self are spacious and breezy, and air conditioning is really only necessary at night. There is a good sized safe, that will easily take your cameras, laptops and other values if you feel the need to lock up.

BUT: The beds are not so great. The mattresses must come with a 100 year warranty as they are concrete hard, and the pillows (2 only) are small and flat. The bedspreads barely cover the mattress, and if you pull the cover up to your chest, your feet hang out. Really Good Time, get some new mattresses, get some new pillows, put 2 pillows per person, and buy bedspreads/covers suitable for a kingsize bed, rather than the handkerchiefs that are currently gracing the beds. Not good enough.

It is only the beds that stopped me rating this resort as Above Average to Excellent. I think it is fair comment to say that on holidays you expect a good sleep!

The beds and covers really are my only complaint. We loved the resort and the staff were wonderful. The location between the beaches is ideal. Kayaking and snorkelling or just exploring by mountain bike or scooter are hours of fun. Good Time can arrange the scooters, mountain bikes etc for you. We rented a scooter for 4 days and it was a good machine, with good brakes and tyres.

The food that we ate at Good Time was fine: the restaurant for breakfast has a lovely ambience as it projects into the shady treetops.

All in all I would recommend Good Time. I did ask Michael the manager about the beds and covers and he told me I was not the first to mention the issues, and it was in hand.

Tips for Koh Mak in general:
1. You will either need to be competent on a push bike or scooter as there are not so many taxis. If you go the scooter route, make sure your travel insurance covers you.

2. Nightlife: whats that? Not much happening at night that we noticed, but maybe it was just quiet. The "Main Strip" of about a dozen restaurants were pretty quiet by 9pm. Good Books essential. Unless you really like your own company, come with a friend. Its pretty quiet.

3. Let Good Time arrange your transfers etc. Much less stressful. Not a lot of english spoken on the mainland adjacent to Koh Mak.

4. Money: At the time of writing there is NO ATM machine on Koh Mak. No doubt this will change in the near future, but at this stage either bring a wad of cash, or ask all scooters, boat trips etc to be charged back to Good Time to pay by EFTPOS on departure. Maybe discuss this with the Manager on arrival. Note however food, attractions, everything is pretty dirt cheap on Koh Mak.

5. The locals are some of the nicest I have met in Thailand. There is a slightly eccentric/artistic air to the place that I hope it never looses.

6. This applies to ALL Thailand travels: Mosquitoes. Dengue Fever. Take some repellent for the early morning and late afternoons. Use it in the day time in forrest locations. Dengue mosquitoes bite in the daytime. On the whole we didn't notice a lot of mosquitoes on KM, but they are there for sure, and you don't want dengue. Take repellent.

Thanks to Good Time for a great stay, and we hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: Get a rooftop room with the Sala in the treetops... very nice afternoon spot!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank James F
KoMak, Owner at Good Time Resort Koh Mak, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review and constructive feedback about The Good Time Resort and Koh Mak.
I believe and confirm your review reflects and explains our property and the island very well and in detail.
Also your complain and your personal opinion about the "hardness of the mattress" is reasonable.
Actually we did receive this complain before and this is why we provide extra soft mattress-cover as soon a guests mention this issue. Unfortunatelly the mattresses do not have a "warranty", as you described in a humorous way - we exchange them every few years. It was a coincident to read your review today, because just today we bought several new (and softer) mattresses, which will be shipped to Koh Mak next week.
Thank you for mentioning our staff and manager and their positive attitude. They (we) do everything possible to give our guests a pleasant stay- this includes providing soft mattress cover when requested. Just the other day we received a new booking- guess which request he had ? "Please provide us a hard mattress".
Hopefully you will come and visit us again on Koh Mak and please request "extra soft mattress" in advance.

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 February 2013

we stayed for 12 days on this beautiful island in this awesome resort.

the houses are all huge, clean and nicely furnished. partly with anitique thai and chinese stuff. nice details everywhere you look. big plus is that you have privacy because the houses are build with space in between. not like all these beachbunkers at the other places were you can hear the neighbour snoring.

the staff/service at goodtime resort is perfect! always friendly, if you have a problem they fix it very fast.
special thanks to michael, naam and yody for taking so good care of us :)

they have a good cook, the breakfast is also good. they have "real" coffee and good german bread.

we were also looking at the other resorts at the island and i honestly think this is the best place to stay on koh mak!

we will definitely come back for some good times next year!
khob-kun-krub

Room Tip: the house "Magnolia"
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Michl B

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the great review. Hopefully you come and visit us again. It was a pleasure meeting you.

Kind regards...

Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

I loved my stay here. The rooms are great and really good value. We spent 2 nights before moving to a beach location. If this place was at the beach I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Staff are very friendly and make you feel really at home.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank khyphena

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the positive review.
We always give our best.

Kind regards

Reviewed 24 February 2013

wow! we had such a nice time at the good time resort. nice staff, nice breakfast, a very nice house in a wonderful jungle garden filled with antique stuff. a lot of privacy because there is space between the different houses / villas... we had house MANAU from which we could watch the sunset every evening. the way to the two beaches can be walked in 10 minutes or you rent a scooter and be there in 4 min.

thanks to yodi, naam and michael who took very good care of us.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank christianguhl
Reviewed 12 February 2013

The resort is spread over a large piece of land creating a need for transportation between the house and restaurant. The standard of accomodation is at a low level. The restaurant is small but seems ok. The swimmingpool is very small and our kids were very disapointed. You have to drive to get to the beach or be preparred for a long walk. For this reason we chose to find another place to stay. The owner was very serviceminded and helped us find an alternative accomdation and promissed to repay us for the accomodation. So far he hasnt lived up to that promiss, so I guess, he isnt somebody to thrust!

Room Tip: If you choose to stay secure a room close to the restaurant and main building
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Soerensteen
kerstin65, Owner at Good Time Resort Koh Mak, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thank you for given us the chance to reflect our meeting at Christmas Season 2012.
You have booked your vacation through a Danish Travel Agency in Denmark.
The complete procedure, including the payments was done between you and the
Danish Agent.
A few days before your arrival, you have send us an email and asked us, to confirm “Two Beachfront Thai Villas”. We have replied to you immediately that we do not have “Beachfront Villas” and the booking was for only one Two-floor Villa.
We also informed your agency in Denmark about the missunderstanding between you and the agent.
When you arrived at Good Time Resort we picked you and your family up and welcomed you at the resort.
Right away we informed you again, that we cannot meet your expectations about being “beachfront”, but we will help you to find another accommodation (this was not easy around Christmas). You and your wife expected our Two-floor Thai Villa and you mentioned to me that the villa looks nice AND is well maintained, but because of your teenage children, you prefer to be right at the beach. This matter we understood completely.
So we are surprised you write now the villa has been in a bad shape. The villa was newly renovated and in my opinion one of the best we can offer.
When we met personally at the resort, I promised you to pay a refund, because we understood your situation about the kids. But I have also mentioned to you, that we check and confirm with the Agent in Denmark first, how much the refund should be and how to proceed. You have to understand and believe, that in most OTHER cases, the money from Agents will be paid AFTER the check out of the guests. Our resort have been very busy around Christmas Season, so at this point I have to apologize to you that your refund was not first priority for our team and it was also difficult to have full communication between Christmas and New Year with other involved parties.
I was personaly very disappointed to read your extreme negative review here and I was even more surprised to receive an email from you a few days ago, in which you offered me to remove your review AFTER we pay you the refund.
In our opinion, this was an unethical proposal and we do not want to accept your offer.
Until today, we don’t understand why you asked us to confirm “Two Beachfront villas’ prior your arrival. Also we like to take the opportunity right here to express, that we have never been obliged to pay you a refund, but we did have the intention because we are “very serviced minded” as you have written yourself at this review. Thank you for mention this. Indeed our entire team is “very service minded” but we should not be demoralized as well.

Reviewed 8 February 2013

We stayed for 10 nights in January 2013 at Tamarind House, based on the great reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. My husband and I travelled with our 3 year old son. Pros: Spacious houses which are reflected quite accurately by the photos on their website, however they are in need of some maintenance (i.e woodwork needs varnish, doors jamming, outdoor bench broken), if you want to escape the sandflies on the beach front properties then this is a good location. The house we were in had a comfortable lounge area and DVD player, which was great on the days that we experienced a bit of rain. Above the restaurant is a library which has a huge amount of DVD's and books for guests to utilise. Michael the current onsite Manager was always pleasant and made an effort each day to have a chat. House keeping staff and gardening staff always greeted you with a big smile and were extremely pleasant. On the perimeter of the resort (street that goes down to the beach) is a little Thai cafe where we hired a motorbike for 200 baht per day (we did hire it for 9 days), they serve great food and they offered a great rate for laundry.
Cons: We had pre-organised with the owner of Good Time a limo pick up from Trad Airport, a speed boat transfer and pick up from pier as we were travelling with a small child so wanted to make everything as smooth as possible. Even though I had received confirmation from the resort that this was all booked, it wasn't. This resulted in us having to organise a more expensive transfer at Trad airport, having to get a later speedboat (which was not a tourist boat) and no pick up at the pier - not a first good impression of the resort, no apology when we arrived, as no one seemed to know anything about it. After the first night of sleeping in our house, the bed was unbelievably hard. This is the first time I have ever complained about a bed in all my years of travel, and we have stayed in many budget places over the years. My husband and I both woke up sore and the next morning at breakfast I asked the owners wife if she could please do something about the bed as we were there for 10 nights and there was no way that we could sleep on that for the duration. She told us that 90% of tourists like to sleep on hard beds and you could tell that she was displeased by us making a request for a change. By late that afternoon nothing had still happened re the bed, so after a second request of letting her know that we were not happy with the bed, house keeping finally stopped by to bring in a different mattress (still hard, but much better). I can't be certain but I actually think it was a box spring that we were sleeping on in the first instance, not an actual mattress. The bedding is really sparse also, there was one fitted sheet and the top sheet was a giant towel. I would expect better bedding for the prices that you pay at Good Time. Breakfast was pretty much what we expected, however we were not prepared for the rudeness of the cook. I understand that she did not speak very good English, but she pretty much threw the plate of food of you. One of the reasons we booked Good Time was because they had a swimming pool. It was really dirty when we first arrived, however by the time we were leaving it had had a huge amount of cleaning product through it and on the day we were leaving you could actually see the tiles on the bottom of the pool (10 days later).

Room Tip: If I were to return to Koh Mak, I would probably book only a night or two initially and then hire a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Goldiegal
kerstin65, General Manager at Good Time Resort Koh Mak, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. Sorry the pick-up service from the airport did not work out in your case.
We offer this service for our guests, because -as you mentioned yourself- it is more expensive if you order a taxi from the airport without reservation than if we order for you. The taxi company which was in charge for your pick up probably forgot your arrival. Sorry for this bad experience. Normally a phone call could have solved this problem.
After you mentioned the mattress were to hard for you, we have exchanged them but apologize we did not do this right away - but in the afternoon same day. Our property is pretty big and the staff took some time to find a good, softer mattress for you from another property. Koh Mak is a remote island and there are unfortunatelly no shops which sell mattresses.
To be honest, mattresses is one of our few weak points. It is a matter of taste. Some like it soft, some prefer it hart. A few 5 star hotels offer a "pillow menu" and you can choose the degree of "softnees". We do not have this service (yet) but every time a guests prefer a softer mattress, we do everything possible (same in your case).
It was a surprise to hear about your experience and your impression about the cook. I assume it was just a missunderstanding. Most Thais are very friendly - every body should be in our business - with no exception and no tolerance.I have no answer for your impression about her, but we will try to find out if the cook has an explaination.
Thank you for pointing out a few good things about our resort, too. Your "dislikes" we will try to improve.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed in March 2012. We booked a 1 Bedroom Thai House and paid USD 480 for 5 nights.

The resort made a minor error with our booking, which meant that we had to spend the first night in a Teak House (lesser category than we booked), but were upgraded to a beautiful stone Thai villa for the remaining 4 nights - which we didn't mind at all!

Hotel - the gardens are beautiful and very peaceful. The only downside is that mosquitos can be a nuisance. Also, a torch does come in handy at night.

Room - Or Villa rather. We loved it. It was tastefully decorated with Thai wooden statues and furniture. All the windows had shutters on the outside in addition to mosquito protection and windows itself. Great to have air-conditioning to chill things down a little at night if you like to. The roof terrace was wonderful to enjoy a cold Tiger on warm evening! Spacious and clean bathroom too. The cleaners came every day and did a good job.

Location - This is not a beach resort. You are bang on the middle of the island, but both of the two main beaches are only a 5-minute walk away. Some people may not like that if you are really looking for beach holiday in the purest sense of the word, but the upside is that things are more peaceful and spacious in the resort. One of the managers (Josh) came to pick us up from the pier when we arrived and gave us a lift back there when we left. It is not too far to walk, but was handy with the luggage.

Facilities - There was a problem with the pool and it was out of order when we were there. We didn't care, but I suppose it might have been a let-down for families with children. We really liked the main house/lobby/restaurant area and its relaxing atmosphere with plenty of lounge opportunities. The food was all right - pretty much toned-down Thai dishes. We are at some of the other resorts as well during out stay, that is no problem at all.

Overall, we have fond memories of our stay at Good Time Resort on Koh Mak. It is a tranquil island but not down to the shoestring level. You can have a very relaxing and comfortable stay there without worries as long as you are not looking for 5* luxury or freak out when there is a gecko in your bathroom or something like that.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple