“Big Easy”
Review of Big Easy

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ko Mak
Big Easy
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Ko Mak
Långås, Hallands Län, Sweden
“Big Easy”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Spacious and very nice bungalows on the beach. Just 6 so you don't´see so many people. Not the best beach however, full of sandflies and no possibilities to get some shadow. We also found a lot of rubbish next to the resorts beach area, not nice! The resort has just got small trees so no shadow in the heat days, but the balcony of the bungalows are very good! The resort is a little bit away from other resorts but within walking distance. Many small cute restaurants easily to walk to. Paul and his wife the owners, were very nice and helpful. I think this could be a fantastic resort when the surroundings a more cleaned up and the trees are bigger.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Thai first
Lafayette, California, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Paul was gracious from the first email. A friend had visited Koh Mak and did not stay at the Big Easy and told me that when I went the BEST place was the Big Easy. I was traveling with my cousin, both celebrating the fact that we are both alive and healthy. We asked for a beach bungalow. Wow, Paul retrieved us from the pier and drove us to the resort. When he showed us the bungalow we could hardly believe this was real, the beach was white and pristine, there was a hammock hanging from the porch, the AC worked beautifully ( #1), contrary to a previous written review. and Paul was the BEST HOST EVER. He was respectful of our time but gave us the attention of treasured guests. It was low season, we were the only guests for the three days we were on Koh Mak. He took us on a tour of the island and made sure that we had everything we needed ( including Gin and wine coolers). The food was terrific, cooked by a niece as Paul's wife and children were up north for the time we were there. We would not hesitate to recommend this small resort to anyone. It was truly a piece of paradise. Thank you Paul!!!! We hope we can cpome back again some day soon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Shenzhen
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Great little resort, had booked one night in low season, ended up staying all week. So quiet and beautiful, good food, lovely staff, friendly beach dogs, spacious and comfortable bungalows. Nothing fancy, but the perfect place to relax, read, have some cold beers and reconnect with mother nature. We loved it.

Paul the owner is very helpful in arranging bike hire and onward travel etc, and he even kindly drove us to and from Leng's Thai cooking class (which is also excellent).

Room Tip: Beachfront room is gorgeous and has the best (most spacious and comfortable) front porch I've ex...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Smithfield, Virginia
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Koh Mak is a very small island. You can only get to it by boat. Several companies run boats to the island. It is very laid back and quiet.

The Big Easy is by far the nicest small resort on the island. Resort is used loosely. It is one of the few places that had its own restaurant, so it was self contained. We had Bungalow 1 which faces directly onto the beach. The fews from the front porch were beautiful and the island is very peaceful. We pretty much had the place to ourselves. The room was clean and roomy. We did have air conditioning, but the resort requests you turn it off when you go out. As it is extremely hot, and it takes a long time to cool the bungalow, I'm not sure how practical that is. The bathroom that is attached to the bungalow is not air conditioned unless you leave the door open from the bungalow to the bathroom. You step down into the bathroom area and it has several high windows for air. We choose to keep the door to the bathroom closed so that the bungalow stayed cooler.

The food is fair. Choices are limited as everything needs to be brought onto the island by boat. The one thing that bothered us is that there are several dogs on the resort and they would lay by our table when we ate.

The beach is pretty clean and the water super hot. The water is clear and heats up fast in the days sun. It was fun to watch the local ladies fishing for oysters. Trash is a real problem and washed ashore across the island. Our beach was kept clean for the most part, but when you walked the beach, you had to watch for trash that washed ashore.

The staff at the Big Easy was mixed. The owner was super friendly, but he seemed to not know how things ran. The wife was away so a young boy took care of most everything--food orders, requests for towels, air conditioning problems. I was perplexed by this.

This is an island so keep things in mind:

1. Power on the island is not always reliable. It went out between 2 and 5 a couple of days we were there. Big Easy does not have a generator.

2. Bugs are a way of life. We shared our room with a gecko each night.

3. There is little to do on the island besides lay on the beach.

4. Food choices are limited as everything needs to be brought onto the island.

We stayed 3 nights and that was plenty for us. I would recommend island hopping and seeing the various islands in this area of Thailand. Each has its own character.

It was a nice change from the busy city of Bangkok and was an adventure. You should try it once.

Room Tip: Get Bungalow #1, it has the best views of the sea.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RunnerGirlOH
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Best place I have ever stayed. Wonderfull beach (best I´ve ever seen in Thailand), laidback, relaxed and friendly family atmosphere. Lovely food and very reasonably priced. Ask for recommondations and look out for when they have caught fresh squid for tempura :) Stayed in the family bungalow with my boyfriend and my mother, and we were all very happy - but would LOVE to stay in the front bungalow next time! The host Nooden (?) and her staff is amazing, and the massage at the beach is fab. We didn´t eat or go anywhere else for the whole stay of 8 days! Place seems to be always full so book early! Very personal service. BBQ night was great. Yes, there are sandflies, but they are everywhere in Thailand. I´ve given a slightly lower grade on sleeping quality because the bed in our room was a bit hard (again something I have found in several places in Thailand being used to comfortable Scandinavian matresses...)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mari V
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Big Easy a few weeks ago now. My wife had previously stayed with some friends there and loved it - so we went back, this time just the two of us.

Getting to Koh Mak is a bit of a challenge. You can get there using bus and speedboat from BKK, but we chose to fly to Trat from BKK and then had a connecting taxi ride and speedboat journey (all in all a good 5 hour trip to get there including waiting around at the airport etc).

There are two main reasons why the Big Easy is a great place to stay. First is the relative isolation accompanied by the peace and quiet. The beach is just beautiful, even with the preponderance of sandflies and I have a hard time beleiving anyone wouldn't enjoy staying here. The second reason is the friendliness of the staff and owners. It really is a pleasure to stay at the Big Easy and all the staff go out of their way to make your stay as good as possible.

Having said that it was a pleasure, there are a few warning notes I would like to add which although they didn't worry me too much (hence my "5" rating), they may well be something other people wouldn't like.

First is the friendliness of the owners - something at least one other reviewer has mentioned on TA. They love chatting to people and everyone who was there (the resort was full on our visit) received lots of attention from the staff and owners. They would often sit with you and talk about life where you live, how life here was different and giving advice and tips from your health problems to how to counteract the burning effects of the sun. I personally found the level of interaction delightful and non-intrusive, but if you are more of a private individual, it might come across as slightly overbearing I suppose.

Second is the air-conditioning in the room we stayed (House No 2 I think it was). A fact of life on these small islands is the occasional blip in electricity supply. This isn't too much of a worry for lighting (the lights flicker, almost romantically, nearly the entire time) but it can be a problem with the air conditioning units in the houses, which shut off occasionally. I live in Singapore where the temperature never dips below 25 degrees and where it is always humid, so to a certain degree I am used to the heat. However, at temperatures approaching 37 degrees in the day (though we were there in the cool season so at night the temperatures probably dipped to about 28) sleep is massively improved by air-conditioning. We found it frustrating that the aircon did not work that efficiently, and I think if you have problems sleeping in higher temperatures, then you may have issues at times.

Having said that, on my wife's first visit there were no aircon problems at all, so she was surprised to find that we were affected in this way.

Now, in summary this is a superbly secluded, beautiful, and personalised place to stay. It is truly relaxing and the food served (though not all menu items are available all the time) is some of the best we've tasted in Thailand (and we've spent a considerable time thereover the years). Of course, the aircon was an issue, but I dont feel ti detracts from the place, and it definitely deserves a score of 5 overall. To add to the experience, the value of this place is incredible. We never ate anywhere else in the three days we were there, and all in the cost of 100 SGD a night for all food and drink was really very good value.

I would definitely return. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Worldworn
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I returned to the wonderful Big Easy for the 3rd time in January and loved it even more than ever!

Paul, Noodang, her sister Dell and and their team looked after us fantastically in every way they could. The food was simply delicious again and the service was so impressive each and every time. The whole experience staying at Big Easy is so wonderful as nothing is too much trouble in these utterly comfortable huts. I have no hesitation in recommending this beautiful place and we look forward to sharing our experience again with our teenage children.

Room Tip: Bungalow No 1 is a wonderful treat as it is so near the sea!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple