“Secluded Paradise”

Ao Kao White Sand Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Ko Mak
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed here for a few days at the end of my Thailand journey and the pace of the island (very slow) was just right! I walked one day to a local store for bananas and beer. Another day we wandered the beach and used some of the provided snorkel gear. Finally we managed to get enough people together for a guided snorkel trip to the pristine waters of nearby Ko Rang.

Service: was good/acceptable. They were extremely nice but a bit laid-back forgetful at times. So some of the snorkel gear was broken ("we'll get new stuff soon") and the bikes they loaned out had flat tires; and other "little things" just weren't always as one might think they should be.

Food: good. Don't expect master-chef, but better (especially for the price) than you'll get back home and I hear there are some good restaurants "in town" during tourist season (most were closed as I visited in very early June).

Accommodations: great. Very modern with showers, A/C, etc to suit your needs. There are lots of creepy-crawlies outside, especially at night, so it was welcoming to see the stilts on the building - although I did still imagine that they *could* get in if they really wanted to.

Island/local/etc: Amazing. It's too small if you are one of those people who wants to really get off the beaten path, but to get away from most civilization, this is perfect. I was there off-season, so it might perk up a bit in-season, but everything there seemed to move at a slow pace, which itself was relaxing.

Overall: 4 stars. Don't expect perfection in this off-the-beaten-path resort, but if you relax into the idiosyncrasies and think about the truly amazing place you are on the planet, you're sure to have a great time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank JustinWhitaker

Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

Having been disappointed by koh Chang I almost left this cluster of islands and headed north...but decided to give Koh MAk a go. I was a 'walk in' customer and was immediately pleased by the welcome I received from Chon who is always around and is so pleasant.
The food is very good with ample portions, service attentive. The resort is well laid out, rooms are very comfy and offer good value. Beachfront is as good as anywhere on the island. They rent scooters, lend DVDs have a pool table and will arrange your onward travel when the time comes. A top place I'd happily revisit.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Shem89
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed for two weeks this August having initially booked for ten days. A second bed was added to our bungalow for our 11 year old son which was really spacious, plenty of hot water, great air-con on a thermostat and fly screens so no mossie nets needed.
We were right on the beach with sea about metres away at high tide and great views of Ko Kood. Sand flies are an issue on Ko Mak but just use a repellant don't let it put you off.
Chain organised our boat from Laem Ngop and we were met in Ao Nid. It was really easy and efficient, which was a relief as we had just got off the plane in Bangkok (taxi 3000tbht). The crossing took an hour and was great fun, lots of little islands and fishing boats to look at, then a few minutes in the back of their truck and you are in Ao Kao.
Chon in the restaurant is lovely, always so happy to help and the pool table in the middle gave us some great fun evenings.
As it was low season most of the restaurants on the main road were shut but around 1/2 the island resorts were open if you fancied a change of view and Paul's Arthouse is worth a visit, lovely guy and amazing building.
There is a small bar being built at Ao Kao, next to the restaurant, right on the sea which looks to be a great addition although there is also a beach bar up the other end of the garden.
We borrowed FREE DVDs, snorkel and flippers and paid a few baht for laundry. The most expensive meal on the very extensive menu was fresh whole fish at 350tbht and masses of veggie options from 80tbht. Huge amounts of fresh pineapple and watermelon for breakfast all included in the room rate and great coffee. We did not dip into our medicine bag once the whole stay! Oh and great wines for 890tbht.
The curtains in our room were a bit dated and kept coming unhooked and a couple of the sun beds were broken, but this not a reason not to stay.
Thanks to Chain and all his team for making our first couple of weeks in Thailand so wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank SSPPSarsfield
Reviewed 3 August 2013

There really isn't much to Koh Mak,but if you want to be somewhere that isn't overrun with tourists and demands you to chill out, this is the place.
We booked in online and when I sent an email to the resort asking for advice about getting to the island, they rang me and offered to organise all my transfers directly from the airport which was a big relief and all worked smoothly with drivers waiting for us at the airport and again on the island.
We had booked a Thai bungalow as this was the only option available online, but when we arrived, we were shown a beach bungalow and we instantly upgraded. It was a gorgeous room just off the water. Within an hour, I could feel the relaxation wave over me.
Being the low season, there was hardly anyone around & everyone was pretty laid back. The staff played volleyball & soccer each afternoon & invited my son to play which he loved. It rained most of the time we were there but we played pool in the dining area or watched DVDs from their extensive library.
On one of the days, we wanted to go for a tour around the island but the taxi was booked out so they organised for a staff member to show us around the island at the same cost. When it came time to leave, once again our transfers were all sorted and we were able to pay for the whole lot in one go.
The beach wasn't great with all the rocks around which my son didn't realise we're there as it was high tide when we first arrived and he raced in a sliced his foot open. But once we knew, we waited until low tide and worked out the best places to swim.
It is a simple place with basic amenities, but overloaded with the space and quietness to 100% chill out. Would definitely come back here.

Room Tip: The beach bungalow closest to the restaurant was able to pick up the wifi.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I should have known from the lack of response to my internet enquiry, emails, and text messages that service would be lacking. The staff there are charming and willing to please but management need to get their act together and provide the basic level of service that one would expect from a three star resort. I could go on with numerous examples, but my advice is don't bother.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lynette00
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I will review Ko Mak and the Resort, but my vote just stands for the accomodation itself.

First of all: Ko Mak. A remote place just accessible by speedboat for 450THB. The ride takes 45-50 minutes and is ok. The beaches vary but are quite nice (though water could be clearer). The magic of this place is the tranquil atmosphere. And here lies the catch. I've visited Ko Mak in May 2013, the start of low season. Me and my gf we rented a scooter (which I would recommend, it's about 300THB at the Resort) and explored the island. Unfortunatelly there isnt much to explore in low season. Shops closed down, restaurants were empty and the "walking street" near the pier was a ghost town. We seeked a tranquil atmosphere, but the lack of options to dine wasn't feeling that good to admit. So just consider that, if you arrive in low season.

Next point: Sandflies. My gf gets biten quite much and unfortunatelly we forgot something against the itching. So if you want a nice time with your Gf - bring stuff to counter those nasty little insects. (!!)

Finally about the accomodation itself. We liked it. We really liked it and just laughed about people complaining about missing tablecloth. You are on a remote island in thailand (!). If you book from europe and expect a 5* hotel here - well then you obviously havent been to thailand, the land were no european standards apply.

I have never had a welcome like this in southeast asia and I stayed in more than 60 different places here. We were offered drinks and the cambodian staff explained the facilities. We had the budget option bungalow for a very good value. So I can just rate the cheap bungalows (though they come with AC and are clean).

The food was outstanding! Try the Ginger Stir fry or the Cashew Nut Chicken. I live in Bangkok and am used to typical thai food, but I'd like exactly that restaurant in front of my appartment in Bangkok. Prices totally ok. Food 70-150THB, Beer 50THB!! And the breakfast... really nice. Soup, Fried Rice, Sandwiches, Pancakes with fresh fruits, .... you just need a snack at noon.

The service was nice and though im sure some people complain about the staff playing volleyball in the afternoon, it just felt like a nice place. The girl remembered that we were leaving the next day and organised a ride to the pier for us. Really thoughtful service.

You can watch DVDs in your room and choose from a big variety of movies they offer - but we didnt make use of that. We rather enjoyed ourselves reading in the 5 Hammocks they provide, right at the beach.

So if you are looking for a nice getway, take one of the cheaper rooms there and enjoy the service of a Resort.

Thank you for the nice time Ao Kao, unfotunatelly it is too far from Bangkok to be in another weekend trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TobiTravels
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We read this was a 5 star resort,so expected something really good.
The restaurant served good food, but the restaurant itself could use some TLC,for a 5 star I expect a table cloth..no?
The room looked nice at first, but the deckchairs were very dirty, as a matter, you could see the print of the previous customers on the fabric. Really.
Bathroom looked nice, but no shampoo or soap available,altough the soapdispenser was there, but broke as I tried to pump some soap! There was a fridge ,but not plugged in and completly empty. The staff was rather surprised when I asked if the deckchairs could be replaced or at least washed out.
I am surprised that many people are so full of the beaches on Koh Mak.
We made a long walk along the long stretch of what is so called the most beautifull beach of the island Ao Kao and found nothing but plastic bottles and other rubbish/garbage washed ashore-shoes, hats and other clothes,big lightbulbs and polystyrene boxes!
So where is this "nature" they are talking about? I was shocked.
My expecteations for Koh Mak were high, as it is a bit further away from the mainland, but I will never go back.

Room Tip: Don't get exited about the 5 stars of Ao Kao White Beach resort. We paid 78 euro per night and...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple