Little Moon Villa Resort
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsprivate beachexplore the islandstaff was very friendly and helpfulthe food is greatmodern designdecent sizeperfect placewhite beachrent a bikeday bedcouple of nightsevery morningfree kayaksother placesthai massagesmall islandstayed nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We have only been back in London for two days since our two week stay at Little Moon Villas and are both already truly missing this magical place!

The Island:
Koh Mak is absolutely lovely. It's a little larger than what I was initially expecting, but very quiet, very easy to get around and has some beautiful beaches too. The locals are very friendly, relaxed and always smiling. The roads are safe, we had a scooter for the full two weeks and for the majority of our stay, we were pretty much the only people on the roads! There isn't an awful lot to do other than relax here, which is exactly what we were looking for!

The Room:
We had a Half Moon Villa, room 2 to be exact. It was directly centre of the front row of villas. The view from our bed was like a postcard and we were woken every morning by the amazing sunrise (literally watching it rise from the comfort of our bed). The room itself was very well thought about. It has polished concrete floors which really helped to keep the room temp down. Very clean, modern and lots of room to fully unpack our cases. The bathroom and toilet were also a decent size with everything new and in working order. The room also had lots of natural light and at night there were plenty of lights too. The burning oils were a lovely touch, made the room smell beautiful and were very relaxing.

The Beach:
Okay, so it isn't bright white sand, but it still has lots of charm and character. The water on first sight looked a little dark, but on closer inspection was crystal clear. It's only the red sand that makes it look dark. At low tide, the rocks to the left of the beach are exposed. You can take a little walk around to view Koh Kradad, very nice indeed. It also looks out on to Koh Kood and the main land. If the beach isn't to your liking, then don't let that put you off, a short trip to Ao Kao beach will take your breath away. We went every day to walk the full length, around a 45 minute walk.

The Resort's Grounds:
Beautifully set in lavish gardens, it looks as if the resort has grown with the surrounding nature. It feels so natural and almost untouched. It sets the mood for the whole experience. There is a huge tree in the centre of the garden which I have to say wouldn't look out of place in Ta Prohm Temple. It must have been there a very long time indeed...

The Staff:
The staff were all amazing. Some of the staff didn't speak great English, but were always there to help. It was never a struggle communicating though. The little moon team really work well together and help keep the resort ticking over perfectly. Some great characters among the team too. Kha who I think was the maintenance guy among other things was great. I never saw him without a smile on his face and his wife, who worked behind the bar was exactly the same too. They even had their son living with them on the resort who was absolutely adorable!

The Chef:
He is incredible. The food on the resort can't be matched. He soon learnt that I liked my food, so lunch became very interesting. He would bring me out dishes that weren't even on the menu and he wouldn't tell what they were until I had finished! Everything that touched my lips was divine. We had a few dishes more than once and he would change them slightly so they would taste different. I have never met anyone who enjoys cooking as much as he does. One dish to mention is the squid stuffed with minced pork and lemongrass...WOW, just WOW! An absolute legend!

Klong or Gong:
He has only been working there for a couple of months, but maybe has more enthusiasm about the resort and the island than anyone else. He was a tourist to the island on many occasions before and decided to quit his job in Bangkok and start work as the manager of Little Moon. He speaks fluent English and is full of knowledge about the island. Always there to help, he even took me out for a tour of the places that only the locals know about on the island. He was great company and made our stay so easy.

The Owners:
Pat and his wife are two of the nicest people I have ever met. You can see straight away that they have a great relationship with their staff, it's as if they are one big family. A story that sums them up is during our stay there were difficulties finding soft shell crab, something which I really love. Klong knew that I really wanted to see what the Chef would do with it so told Pat and his wife. They were popping back to bangkok for a couple of days towards the end of our stay and when they returned, Pat had personally picked up some soft shell crab just for me! and to top that his wife had bought us a little christmas present which was the burning oil from the room which she knew we loved! Where else would you get service like this?

In all honesty, if you are thinking of visiting Koh Mak there is quite simply only one place to stay. Like I said, it is absolute perfection and the Little Moon Team will definitely be seeing us again!!

Room Tip: Half Moon Villas 2 is great!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gerry B
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Little Moon Villas are about as far off the beaten path as you can get. Turn off the paved road, follow the dirt road through acres of exotic cultivated rubber trees and coconut plantations, turn into a narrower dirt road and arrive at the far eastern point of Koh Mak. Look out at the sandy beach with a picture book view of the Gulf of Thailand and you know you are in paradise. We had a Half Moon Villa, complete with working air conditioning, meticulously clean and roomy, with a front porch overlooking the beach. The room interiors are unfinished concrete, and the paths among the villas are not paved, giving the resort a rustic, unfinished feel that is belied by the comfort of the accommodations.

Don't let the remoteness put you off; when we wanted to tour the the island it never took longer than 10 minutes for a seong teow to get to us and take us anywhere we wanted to go.

The service was excellent - we had a burned out light bulb, which I reported to reception. I turned around to head back to my villa to find that the maintenance guy had beaten me there. The staff was also helpful is arranging excursions.

The beach at Little Moon Villas is fabulous - very large, sandy and shallow. You can wade for nearly half a mile before hitting water over 5 feet deep.

But the best part of staying here was the food. Their chef is a master, doing things with traditional Thai cooking we had never seen before. We ate their for 4 days and each meal was better than the last. This resort could really sell itself as a culinary destination - worth going to even if the beach wasn't there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Philip A
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We booked for 3 nights and stayed for an extra two; only our flight forced us to leave. The hotel is designed and run by two architects who, with their staff, go out of their way to help you. Excellent food, and the best location on Koh Mak. Peaceful and quiet, yet still easy to get to anything else on the island... if you want to!

And I recommend going to "Nong Massage," about 10min down the road. She healed a pesky sports injury in two visits that a London physio and doctor combo had been working on for several months!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank timnumber22000
Reviewed 9 April 2011

Booked for four days but eneded up staying for over a week in this perfect hideaway.The rooms are large and have a beautiful wiew of the beach. Under swaying palmtrees we enjoyed the best food on the island, refreshing smoothies and great service from the freindly staff. At the end of our stay we felt like part of the family and we were truley sorry to leave. We can´t wait to come back to this chill out paradise.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IsidorJohansson
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I know I'm loosing my little bit of paradise when I write this review. But the world needs to know about Little Moon Villa on Koh Mak. This is the best place place we have ever stayed, and we have stayed at other resorts on Koh Mak. Nothing else compares to the friendly smiles we were greeted with. We were picked up at the dock in a four wheel drive, bright yellow pickup truck and taken way out the in the jungle to the most beautiful sea side resort we have ever seen. We originally were staying for three days but ended up there fifteen days. The villas are new, clean and all have a lovely sit on porch to watch the ocean and the beautiful sunrises.
The food is the best in Thailand. Mr. Ruang ( the chef) is outstanding in skill and presentation. Every meal is a culinary experience. Even if you don't stay at Little Moon, you should make a point of going for the food. Mam, Ray, Pak and Aor are the managers and do a wonderful job. They know what it takes to please and go out of thier way to do so. All the staff are very friendly and eager to please. We were there for so long , we became the ones to experiment on. One day the kitchen staff made us an all-beef cheese burger on a toasted sesame seed bun. it was excellent. What a treat.
Another day we went over to Koh Kradad(Deer Island). Beautiful beaches and hundreds of protected deer. We had lunch on the beach and were picked up later in the afternoon and returned to our villa. What a wonderful day!
We were taken by private boat on a snokeling trip. There are some beautiful areas near and around Koh Mak for the snorkeler and diver. We did notice our room needed to be cleaned. When we asked about , we were told to leave our key with the front desk for cleaning anytime. The staff will not enter your unit without permission. That made us feel much more secure about leaving anything in the room. Any thing you need, don't be afraid to ask. The whole staff is there to please you, with a big smile. We come to Thailand ever year and are definately looking forward to next year. Verne and MaryAnn Dupuis, Canada.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple