“The great family escape”
Review of MyPond Hotel

MyPond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Port Alfred
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Great holiday trip overall!

The convenience of the hotel added to a special weekend. The hotel felt more like a Bnb with the great service and personal care. The staff were all very friendly and were at our beck and call at all times. Reception was manned at all hours which was impressive and to add to that there was no waiting for anything! Absolutely great stuff guys.

The food in the restaurant down stairs was great and the breakfast included in the price was great value for money. The food was generous and fresh. The chef could do with a lesson on how to make chips though.

I wish we had spent more time at the facility to enjoy more of the amenities but GREAT value for money stay none the less and I doubt any place in Port Alfred could offer the same.

Some things to keep in mind for the future though:

1. Our fridge was never topped up with new water when we were out and we almost had to request more on the last day. Please ensure the cleaning person tops up the fridge.

2. Soaps and towels also were not topped up but we made do with what we had.

3. In the "kiddies" rooms there are no bedside plug points. I understand the rooms were designed for a family of 4 with the 2 kids being minors but I had no clue before, maybe this could be addressed in future.

4. The docking stations under the TVs were made for iphones but the phones don't fit in between the station and the TV unless held sideways which defeats the whole purpose of a docking station.

Again a big thanks from me and the family, GREAT HOLIDAY, GREAT STAY!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sloodja
Mypond, General Manager at MyPond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Sloodja,

Thank you for choosing MyPond for your stay and I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. Your review is certainly flattering, thank you for that. Your points of improvement are noted and we'll look into all of them.

I do hope you enjoyed your entire stay in Port Alfred and true you'll consider MyPond Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

By difference with the "sleeping factories" on the marina, this Hotel is located on the river side in town, in a very quiet surrounding.
The hotel lounges and rooms are very well appointed, in a nice and crisp design, keeping a warm atmosphere.
The Restaurant offered us an excellent lunch, for a reasonable price and service is amazing for South Africa where it is most of the time very bad.
Hotel and Restaurant are a HOTEL SCHOOL that GIVES VISIBLY ITS BEST TO THE CLIENT, WHILE THE STUDENTS LOOK HAPPY AND DEDICATED.
Enjoy !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pierre V
Mypond, General Manager at MyPond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Pierre-peter01,

I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay in our property and thank you for contributing to our efforts towards the betterment of the South African hospitality industry. Your views are well appreciated and will be passed on to the rest of the team.

I trust you will enjoy your travels and we look forward to hosting you should you return to our part of the world.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My family and friend recently stayed for two nights at this teaching hotel. The staff is very nice and responsive to any thoughts or concerns. The rooms are clean, but basic. Pretty good value.

The rooms are not sound proof. We heard a lot of hallway noise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Trippin_mom_of_3

Hi Trippin_mom_of_3,

Thank you for taking the time out to write and I'm glad you found value in staying at our property. I do trust that you'll stay with us again when passing through Port Alfred as we would be privileged to host you again.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Port Alfred is a very quiet, although quite scenic town as the Kowie River enters the sea. It has a pretty break-water, and it can be fund to watch the surfers nearby and the ski-boats brave the tide to launch through the break-water. The beach is lovely and quiet. The town centre has degenerated over time into a functional and somewhat dirty place to buy groceries, however the MyPond hotel was a real surprise. Very clean, very well-run and good value. I would not stay anywhere else in Port Alfred

Room Tip: try and avoid a room overlooking the parking lot
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Mypond, General Manager at MyPond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Angus B,

Thank you for taking the time out to write such a kind review. I'm glad that you found something that works for you in Port Alfred and that we could be a part of it. We look forward to having you visit us again.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. We initially experienced some problem with booking the room but that was quickly solved by the manager. We stayed in the family room which was very spacious, clean and modern. I understand that this is a 'training' hotel and must say that the service and professionalism we received was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Mypond, General Manager at MyPond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Snowwhite177,

Thank you for taking the time to write and for the kind words.

I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and would look forward to welcoming you back soon. As a learning facility, these reviews are taken very seriously and thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you again for the privilege.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I experienced such a lovely stay at MyPond Hotel! The staff are some of the most friendly I have ever met and the students truly go out of their way for the guests.

The location is absolutely beautiful and my friends and I have coined the phrase 'it's great out here by the river' because of all the time we spent on the outdoor couches.

My honey and mustard fillet was one of the best steaks I've had in South Africa and the eggs benedict is something to marvel at.

Thank you for such a wonderful time.

• Stayed: April 2014
Mypond, General Manager at MyPond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Dave_Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review.

Our team takes great pride in providing our guests with good food, facilities and service. I will be sure to pass your sentiments on.

We look forward to hopefully hosting you again in the future. After all, "it is great out here by the river."

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed at My Pond for one night on business on 22nd April. The hotel is modern and well kept. The reception staff were friendly and efficient, the room was nice, decent and clean.
However, when I returned to the hotel at around 2100, I went to have a shower, only to find that there was no hot water. I had half a mind to phone reception, but there was no information brochure in my room with the usual information, so I decided to go to bed. As I was nodding off, the guests staying in the rooms opposite came back and started a party with loud talking and laughter, women screaming and general mayhem until past midnight. Again, I could not phone reception to complain and I was not prepared to get dressed and run the gauntlet of the party goers.

The next morning, there was still no hot water for a shower, despite leaving the taps running for a long time (something I hate doing because of the waste).

At breakfast, which was nice, I was amazed to see that 6 or 7 staff wee being trained in the restaurant. I was the only diner at 0700, but surely the training should take place when there are no guests present??

So I am sorry to say that a nice hotel in a great position fell far short of the 4 star mark due to poor maintenance and lack of attention to detail.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Mypond, General Manager at MyPond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Africatrotter2812,

First off, please accept my sincerest apologies for the discomfort during your stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our guests enjoy a pleasant stay and for this I deeply regret that we had service failures.

Please trust that the issues raised have been addressed and will continue to be monitored. You had some kind words about our staff and I appreciate that.

I do hope that next time you're in Port Alfred that you will visit us again and experience MyPond the way it is intended.