“Bistro Felix” 4 of 5 bubbles

Bistro Felix
Ranked #10 of 98 Restaurants in Subiaco
Cuisines: Australian, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Houston, Texas
“Bistro Felix”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Both the food and service were very good. Subiaco was also a nice change from eating in Perth City Centre where my hotel was.

Visited June 2014

Perth, Australia
“Perfect place to celebrate our anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was the restaurant my husband took me to for our first date six years ago and we have been back every year on our anniversary since then. It never fails to disappoint and last night was no exception. The food was superb and the service was excellent. When we mentioned that it was our anniversary, they made a special effort with the dessert. I had the chicken which was very tasty. My husband had a steak which was cooked to perfection. We'll be back next year if not before.

• Visited June 2014
“Great dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have dined at Bistro Felix a number of times, each time has been great.

Service a tad slow at the start, but all up, the service was OK overall.

The food was great, we had the scallops, entree salad, eye fillet, pork shoulder ragu, and spinach & ricotta flan, each of which was enjoyed very much.

• Visited June 2014
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had a great night out here recently and have to say that we had a really enjoyable experience. The waitstaff were really attentive and gave us a seat near the window. In minutes we had our menus and had our order for drinks taken and from there on in it was really excellent. The entrees were well sized and delicious. We then shared the Chateaubriand which was cooked to perfection.
The wine list was extensive without being overpowering and the water assisted us in choosing our wine, which was great as he listened to what we liked or disliked and then recommended accordingly, which he got spot on.
All in all, the night was really enjoyable and with no fuss or problems at all. A great restaurant and we are both looking forward to returning.

• Visited May 2014
“Average at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Date nights out are a rare occasion with young children and the husband and I decided to arrange one at the last minute when the opportunity presented; a few of our favourites were booked out but Bistro Felix had a table available at a good time on short notice (perhaps this should have been a warning sign?).

We were seated in the back corner in the wine room, which at first we thought was a nice secluded spot in the restaurant, however we were interrupted a few times by waiters fetching wine from behind our table or over our heads, and getting the attention of staff was next to impossible and my husband actually had to get up and walk to the bar area to get someone to come and see us at one point.

I explained I wasn't drinking when we were asked for our drinks order (I'm pregnant), but no alternatives were offered (mocktail, juice etc) so I made do with my sparkling water all night.

Our entrees were quite nice and the cheese soufflé was very moorish, it was the highlight of the night.

When ordering I asked if the duck (main) was cooked all the way through and was told that it was, so based on that I ordered the dish. When it arrived it was very far from cooked all the way through (which I know is how duck is sometimes served depending on the cut and the cooking method, but hence why I had asked) and due to being pregnant I had to ask for it to be sent back. There was no offer to keep my husband's dish warm while I waited so it sat there getting cold. When my duck returned the sliced pieces of breast had simply been put on a hotplate each side which completely ruined the texture, rather than a new breast prepared. It was served back on top of the same accompaniments with the bit of bloodied juice from the previously cooked attempt remaining which I had to set aside. Aside from the texture it was relatively tasteless didn't have a sauce.

If I had have known it was not normally cooked through I would have ordered something else, the misinformation from the wait staff resulted in a butchered, tough, tasteless meal which I still paid in full for.

My husband ordered a frangelico affogato for dessert and I can't comment on whether that was any good or not because he was given a regular affogato instead. My chocolate fondant (aka thin slice of chocolate cake) with white ganache was completely overwhelmed by the blueberry and yoghurt accompaniment and there was barely a chocolate hit that was expected.

Overall it was a very disappointing experience. I have had fine dining restaurants cater beautifully to pregnancy dietary requirements before. We won't be returning to Bistro Felix in a hurry.

• Visited May 2014