“Great Location”

Darby Park Serviced Residences
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed at the Darby Apartments recently and thought it was great. We selected it mainly due to its close proximity to the Football Stadium. I did read some of the previous reviews and was a bit concerned. On arrival though I was pleasantly surprised. The reception staff were very welcoming and the one bedroom apartment was clean and spacious. The bed was really comfortable and the bed linen was lovely. The furnishing etc were all quite modern and very clean.

Room Tip: Maybe you need to ask for a refurbished apartment
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Darby park because the better half's office is round the corner which is very convenient for him and I was lucky to have friends who came to pick me up and take me out.

Accommodation needs to be revamped badly, it's showing its age but it's clean. The bedroom didn't have a heater so I was freezing at some point. No lifts so too bad if you've got heavy bags.

Some good cafés around for breakfast and coffee.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank liz_t83
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Negative vibes and bad karma aside, the only pro about this place was that it was close to everything and in the heart of Subiaco. I'm not quite sure where the 5 star rating comes from and would never normally put anything on a site like this, but shop around people. On the outside it looks great but the rooms were old and grotty. They also deliberately or not, neglect to let you know that your $12.50 for 24 hour internet access, will virtually triple if you use more than one device(we should have read the fine print, granted)....how this makes any difference, I'm still yet to figure out. Saying all of this tho, the staff were friendly and sincere and the pool urine levels were surprisingly low.

Room Tip: Rooms in another serviced apartment would be better.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ryan H

Travellers are raving about these Subiaco hotels

Adelaide
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed here for 3 night in early September 2013. We choose this place due to the location as we needed to be in Subiaco. We had booked a 2 bedroom apartment and paid $1050 for the 3 nights. The room was old and smelled like deep heat. It was dark & dingy and the bedding was old and pillows weren’t comfortable. There was also a lot of mould in the bathrooms. We had friends saying in an apartment near ours and they didn’t have hot water. These 'serviced apartments' don't service the apartments on Sundays. We also ordered food from a place that they recommended only to find out it wasn’t ‘Genuine’ and it's an internet scam. Big disappointment. We had friends staying at different places they had found through stayz that were a lot cheaper and much nicer than Darby Park.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

I booked to stay at the Hay Street location for a night to enjoy the football at Paterson's Stadium. When booking, I had read that there was a car space available for every unit. Upon arrival we checked in and drove through to the secure parking, only to find several other disgruntled patrons revealing there were no spaces left in the car park. How can this be if there is one bay per apartment? After driving back and and consulting a very rude admin/concierge I was told (with several other people in the lobby complaining) that some people like to travel with two cars and that's why it's full. For an expensive $330 a night, I believe everyone should be entitled to a car space for their apartment, especially when there was no where else to park in a busy area. We were offered to park on the verge behind other cars, but having once had our car reversed into in a hotel car park, we know that there is no liability on the hotel. We told the admin/concierge we'd simply like a refund we'd stay elsewhere, to which she replied I can't do that sorry. After we insisted on seeing the manager she sulkily and reluctantly phoned him down (it's me, sorry to bother you AGAIN she says) we were granted a refund by a lovely man who was the manager. I think perhaps the establishment needs to consider the politeness and professionalism of their staff - had the parking been monitored initially this would not have been an issue. For the price point you need more for your money - we retreated to Fraser Suites in the city for $199 a night - luxury accommodation with secure parking and 5 star service.

Stayed August 2013
3 Thank cjade8
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

Highly misleading.
I was given a stay at the Darby park in Margaret river (better but not my wedding day) for the appalling ordeal of my wedding day whereby I could not enter the room. Nearly one year on and I am just as mad as ever about subiaco. Take some real pictures of this place because my mom and I the day before the wedding could not find a room that looked like the pictures.
Thanks for the stay in your better margarate river accommodation.. I guess makes up for like %30 of what I felt while I was driving to my house on my wedding day.

• Stayed April 2013
Guy R, General Manager at Darby Park Serviced Residences, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear Stephjade85, Thanks for your post on Trip Advisor following your stay last April. We have had a look, the picture in question was posted by a traveller, we have asked the website moderator to take the incorrect picture down. Once again, thanks for letting us know. Kind regards
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

Checked into the Darby Serviced Apartments on Hay Street, Subiaco in January 2013, for a 10 night stay.

Overall, the apartment was seriously disappointing. As a 'self contained' apartment, you'd expect certain appliances and things to be in place so you'd be able to cook, and wash clothes and everything else you'd expect in a 'self contained' apartment.

The stovetop was dodgy, to say the least - it was touch and go as to if it would heat up half an element, or all of the element, or none of the element. The oven just didn't work - didn't maintain heat at all - tried to cook chicken breast in the oven, after an hour, it was barely warm.

The kitchen utensils were useless - we actually went to coles and bought our own sharp knives to use in the kitchen.

The dishwasher was old. The washing machine old and clunky. The apartment itself was poorly maintained - all the doors were sticky or waterdamaged/swollen - the toilet door didn't even latch, so my family had to get used to witnessing each other go to the toilet for 10 days.

The airconditioner was full of dust - we could either swealter in the heat, or turn the air con on and spend the whole time coughing because of the dust.

The bathtub/shower needed the sealant replaced - the bits that weren't falling off in chunks were moldy.

Housekeeping came in each day, refilled sugar/towels/toilet paper, wiped counters etc, but that still didn't stop the cockroaches - and these weren't little cockroaches, they were gross, big cockroaches, emerging from under the fridge, inside the kitchen cupboards, and they'd saunter across the kitchen benches in the middle of the day like they owned the place.

Add to that, our apartment was right above the corral where they stored the wheelie bins for bin collection, so we had the joy of smelling gross rubbish all week.

The ONLY plus side was that the staff were professional and friendly.... But not enough to make this place worthwhile.

Not impressed, far from. Would definitely not bother staying here again, in fact, would actively DISCOURAGE people from staying.

My husband and I agreed that we have stayed in Cabins in Caravan parks for $85 a night that were better equipped and cleaner.

Don't waste your money here.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Guy R, Manager at Darby Park Serviced Residences, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Dear Aleisia P, Thank you for your recent post following your stay with us. I was very sorry to hear your comments and wish that perhaps during your stay you had mentioned some of the issues that we might have been able to take action to improve your time here. Not saying, in some part we should have known some of the issues but in some instances if we don’t know or see, then we can’t always fix. Sometimes we have to rely on guest to advise us of some things and for that we appreciate it. Your comments definitely give us something to work on, as we have already started to. Once again, very sorry for what we were not able to provide correctly. We do appreciate your kind comments regarding the friendly and professional staff, thank you. Kind regards 23Jan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Subiaco
West Perth
Perth CBD
Peppers Kings Square Hotel
Perth CBD
Best Western Premier Terrace Hotel

Been to Darby Park Serviced Residences? Share your experiences!