“Just ok.”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was quite excited to go check out Hippo Creek as I heard a lot of good things about this place in the past. The restaurant was busy and had a lively atmosphere, but I didn't really feel as though I was fully immersed into an African themed restaurant (the same way you truly know you are in a Mexican restaurant by the decor, the music, the way the staff dress, the drinks menu and the food...). The service was ok nothing exceptional. Would've been nice if the maître 'd had thanked us for our custom, rather than immediately proceeding to reset our table once we had stood up from our chairs. I had a steak from the specials menu, which was cooked well but not piping hot when it arrived at the table, the flavour was ok, but I did opt for the cheaper scotch filet as most of the steaks were beyond my price range ($45-$80). For the prices they are commanding, I was not wowed enough to say 'I would go back again'.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We went on works get together on one of the set menus. The sevice was ok but they did not the meats for our mains was all cooked the same even though I asked for rare my partner medium the salad did not come out with the main it only came after we asked for it and most of the party had finished. The starter and dessert was a lot better. ?

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Have been to this restaurant a few times and have never been disappointed. Food is always of a high standard and have never had an inferior dish. Staff are always friendly and more than efficient. Always recommend this place.

1  Thank PinkiePinkie
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Had dinner here with a group of friends device was ok although it took a long time to get our meals i had the wagu fillet which was nice a good meal although on the expensive side it is worth a visit but be prepared to wait a while and pay a lot.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We booked a table of 4 for lunch. We decided to share the Mixed Entree Platter, what a great choice. A tasting plate comprising of buffalo chorizo, spicy wings, slow roasted lamb ribs, droewars, olives and the amazing 'mud huts' (mushrooms filled with feta, chilli & herbs)

Our mains were pork spare ribs (half size), fillet steak (medium rare - cooked to perfection) lamb rump and Lion Kill (steak & pork spare ribs) The meals were a very generous size and beautifully cooked & presented, the wine list is excellent. All in all a very pleasurable gastronomical experience. The 'mud huts' are a must for anyone that enjoys mushrooms. We will definitely eat here again.