“A bit tired in doors”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brighton
Adelaide, Australia
“A bit tired in doors”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed here for work and after negotiating two sets of manual glass doors with two cases to get into the lobby without a concierge or help in sight I checked in.
The rooms were well appointed and spacious, I had no heating and the manager provided a small fan heater that barley worked, the hot tap in the shower fell off. Be careful the smallest adjustment in tap setting adjusts the water temperature significantly both hot and cold, the water temp does fluctuate of its own accord as well. The shower over a spa bath was not the best.
The buffet breakfast was not really, only the continental aspect was buffet, you had to order anything hot and it was cooked for you, my omelet was rubbery and not the best.
The dinners were nice though.
The inside is a bit tired and in need of some TLC. With great views out over the beach. If you are a light sleeper the beach view rooms directly adjacent to the road may not be for you, also if you are in a room next to any of the conference rooms these can be noisy.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms adjacent to the street are quite noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 321Karlos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Melbourne
Reviewed 27 June 2014

After reading the TA reviews I wasn't sure what to expect! We were guests at a wedding and were very happy with the entire evening EXCEPT for the rude supervisor at the end! The reception room was beautifully setup and the meals were fine (nothing to rave about but were entirely edible) and staff were overall very friendly and efficient. At the end of the evening the bride's family were packing up the bits and pieces to take home when the very rude supervisor (older woman who seemed to be in charge, and who gave the impression all night that she was tired and we were all just a big nuisance to her - pity given this was a very happy occasion for us).It should be noted none of us were inebriated or obnoxious and were in fact anxious to get it all packed up so we could clear the area for the venue without any delays. Her attitude was entirely unjustified and whilst I understand that it was the end of a working day for her it was the end of what was supposed to be for us a happy occasion - it just left a disappointing end to what should have been a happy day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from function rooms if you want to sleep before midnight.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

The Savoy is pretty good. If you can get a room for $150au or less you are doing well here. Great location. Great free WiFi. Great free parking. Great service. If I had to find fault the layout is a little odd and the restaurant is unrealisticly priced in my view. The rooms are dated but stylish. This is the quintessentual boutique hotel. I've stayed several times and will again but prefer to pick a room up on a last minute special.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at the Brighton Savoy on 31 May 2014 on second level. Although we did not get a oceanview room, we were able to experience the ocean whenever we headed to the lift area and the view was gorgeous, it was a nice touch to have a couple of chairs to sit and watch the ocean. Rooms 303, 304 & 305 would have the best views on 3rd level.
Parking was in the hotel basement and free with easy access and good lift service to the accommodation levels from car park.
Hotel is nice and clean, comfortable beds and spacious room.
We had a full breakfast and choice was good. I had fried eggs, bacon, croissants, freshly made coffee, yoghurt. toasts etc. The server in the dining room was very pleasant and attentive to our requirements. Reception staff were also very helpful and interested in making our short stay a pleasant one.
Highly recommend this hotel which is only about 15 min drive from Melbourne city.

Room Tip: Nice ocean views from rooms 303, 304 & 305
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nmarsha
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Getting there was a PITA. Arrived by train, after 10pm on a Sunday. Don't recommend that route. If you're driving, that's better.

The view is beautiful. Unobstructed beach right across the street (which was quiet for a main thoroughfare)

The service was divine. Nowhere to eat, they brought what they could; some yogurt, cheese, crackers. It was so very kind of them.

The building is old and the rooms' furnishings are a little oddball. The jet tub had cigarette burns in it (How ?) Shower was hot, pressure so-so, Hair dryer present and worked well.

Bed was comfortable enough, pillow selection okay, quiet enough. Old fashioned almost skeleton like door keys were too large to fit comfortably in my male colleagues' pockets. (They fit in my backpack just fine) Parking garage a little creepy and a little dangerous.

I didn't try the wifi, if they had it. Room had instant coffee service. My colleagues liked the breakfast (I prefer to sleep, so I didn't) . Room had refrigerator and decent closet space. Needed outlets.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sonoran_Skies
MichaelELee, Owner at Brighton Savoy, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. Yes, our point of difference is our team loves what they do, and enjoy pampering guests and makingthem feel right at home - as you discovered.

I am sorry that you did not check with our team or website for directions. Directions are a simple phone call away or on our website http://www.brightonsavoy.com.au/brighton-beach-melbourne

Our Blog http://www.brightonsavoy.com.au/blog/how-to-get-to-the-brighton-savoy is also helpful to work out the best mode of transport to the hotel

The Bayside area is full of activities that take place all round the year – even in
the colder months.

Everybody will be pleased to know that we are about to commence a makeover of all our Standard Rooms incorporating brand new state of the art bathrooms, new wardrobes and a few other nice touches keeping the Brighton Savoy as this suburb’s leading and only accommodation Hotel that features 24 hour Reception. free fast wifi internet, and two levels of free parking.

regards

Michael Lee
Managing Director
Port Douglas, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Check in 11:15pm unfriendly greeting, no assistance with baggage had to carry it upstairs in my wedding dress and heels!
Next morning complained to duty manager about check in & issues with room (ie broken handle on shower, shower tap extreme hot to cold, fridge & air con not turned on, no bottled water and blanket not on bed or in closet). He replied "you can leave & we'll refund". With no other alternative available we had to stay a second night before leaving at 4:30am the following morning. When checking out the clerk said there would be a charge of $85 for meals. I disputed this because prior to arrival we were given a $40 credit (corporate rates as a honeymoon deal because bridal suite not available) and the duty manager said he'd give us a $40 credit as we were staying the second night & not leaving as he suggested we do. The clerk said "that's fine no charge" only to discover a week later that my account has been deducted. Immediately called the hotel, same duty manager answers with attitude and said the "duty manager didn't approve the $85 discount so you got charged" turns out it's the same person! When I asked for managers details he initially refused and suggested I email and that he'd on-forward it. Some people just shouldn't have customer service positions!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Adam R

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed for a wedding recently, with the reception held at the hotel itself.

Very nice throughout the reception: Food, drinks, service all pleasant and efficient.

They were let down (badly) by the Front of House Hostess, who ended the evening by basically bullying us out the door (even though half the guests at the reception were hotel guests too).

I've worked extensively in hospitality, so I know the frustration of a group that dawdles in leaving a function... but there is a right way to react and a wrong way to react.

Right way, with a smile: Thanks very much guys, have you had a great evening? Just letting you know we'll need this room cleared pretty soon, if that's OK? Thanks guys.

Wrong way (AKA the Hostess): Abruptly and rudely barges through the group telling everyone "The function is closed. The function is closed." over and over and over ad nauseum. No smile. Barely even eye contact.

After a really fun evening it was a really disappointing way to end it all. Thankfully the bride and groom had already moved on, but the rest of us were left really agitated. We weren't drunk or disorderly but we were made to feel like we were just a massive inconvenience instead of... you know... valued customers?!

I've worked at high-end reception venues and I know that finishing at 1am is not fun when the group is drunk or loud... but this was 11:45pm and we were being totally civil.

And finally, the room was nice, and breakfast too.

So my service rating is directed exclusively at that particular staff member. I imagine you guys can figure out who it is from what I've said.

Room Tip: I'm told the rooms on lower levels need some sound-proofing on Saturday nights, but ours was OK.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Shane B
MichaelELee, Owner at Brighton Savoy, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Hi Shane

Thank you for your review about your stay at the Brighton Savoy and attendance at a wedding reception held at the hotel.

I am pleased that you found the event 'very nice throughout the reception: Food, drinks, service all pleasant and efficient..

I am disappointed to hear your feedback about the experience at the conclusion of the event. If you could contact me via m.lee@brightonsavoy.com.au advising me of the date of the wedding you attended and which function room it was held in, It will give me an opportunity to identify the function host and discuss your feedback with them.

On a more positive note I'm glad you enjoyed your room and enjoyed breakfast. We have recently upgraded our Breakfast service and are getting a lot of positive feedback

My family have owned and operating the Brighton Savoy for the last 47 year, and we strive to ensure all experiences at the hotel are happy and pleasant.

warm regards

Michael Lee
Managing Director
Brighton Savoy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighton
Beaumaris Bay Motel
#1 of 1 in Beaumaris
Quest St Kilda Bayside
#1 of 19 in St Kilda
Parkville
Art Series - The Larwill Studio

Been to Brighton Savoy? Share your experiences!