“Consistent Quality”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We have tried most of the Chinese restaurants within a 10 mile radius. The Lotus Express consistently serves quality meals at reasonable prices and in our opinion is superior to other restaurants.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We visited this restaurant whilst in Billingham for a wedding. On arrival there were 2 other tables eating and they had gas heaters next to their tables.....we quickly found out why as after 5 mins in there my husband and I were both freezing cold and huddling next to the radiators! We didn’t take our coats off for the whole time.
Once the other tables had left we asked for the heaters to be placed next to us. This just left the 2 of us in the restaurant. Strange atmosphere....no music/ambiance just the noise of the busy kitchen.
The food was mediocre....what I think was perhaps frustrating is that we could see the take away orders flying out of the door, the phone ringing with new orders, people coming in and out to order and some to collect food......whilst we sat there for over an hour waiting for our food.....the takeaway orders clearly had priority over sit in diners.
The restaurant itself had lots of potential although it was clear that they weren’t expecting many people to sit in to eat....the takeaway bags/prep area was located on a table in the restaurant.....the coats and belongings of the staff were on another table....it was almost like we were inconveniently in the way of a takeaway’s busy hour.
There are lots of good takeaway reviews.....and I’m sure these are accurate....and I would perhaps suggest the place stick to just a takeaway as the dine in experience was not at all pleasant.
Would definitely not recommend sorry.....we had a pretty shoddy experience and food/drinks came to over £40.....which I thought was pretty expensive for what we got.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

Something seems to be going on with all the local Chinese takeaways in the area. If you ordered certain dishes off the menu such as egg Foo yung or chicken in a black bean sauce you got either boiled rice or chips with it. Now it's extra. They use the smaller plastic containers which are around 20% smaller than the foil containers. The food was ok but I think the noodles for the chow mein were cooking for hours.
Sorry by I will not be coming back. Once bitten twice shy.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Highly recommend this place . Very friendly staff very authentic and tasty Chinese food. I went for crispy shredded chilli chicken with noodles . This dish is my favourite Chinese dish and I have eaten this dish in many restaurants around the world and can tell you that this place is as good as any I have tried
I have eaten here half a dozen times over a few years as I am only visiting Billingham to visit family but every dish I’ve tried here has been of a high standard and very tasty and I will continue to use this place on future visits

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I'm not a massive fan of Chinese take away food, however Lotus Express is really good. Have tried several different chicken and king prawn dishes all of which have been very good. Would recommend.

1  Thank Fiona G